[AAR] 2020-02-04 Good Omens / Exequrors LowSec Roam

Nienke Solette

[AAR] 2020-02-04 Good Omens / Exequrors LowSec Roam

Post by Nienke Solette »

Exam week is over, so there was time for another fleet and moar pew-pew! ^^
For people who don't know my AARs: they are quite detailed, often contain videos and are usually quite long. Feel free to just read the TLDR + summary.

Roam members (12)
Spoiler
Asuka Rossi - Exequror
B'aldrick Aivoras - Omen
Christoph Patrouette - Magus
Flatline Kasenumi - Maulus Navy Issue
Gideon Mastracci - Omen
Marcel Eriker - Omen
Mike Kingswell - Keres, Maulus Navy Issue
Navarchos - Tristan, Atron
Nienke Solette - Omen
Six Nyendi - Omen
Tolerin Escipion - Omen
Yto Itinen - Exequror
TLDR
Fleet size was a bit smaller than I hoped to get, but not horrible. The composition was 2 Logi, 2 scouts (Keres / MNI), 1 newbro (Hyperkitten), 6 DD, 1 booster (Magus). We had two extended fights with both positive things and new learnings. Before those fights, we had a couple of (in my opinion preventable) losses and caught an Atron. ISK positivity: quite negative but I don't really care in this case, because my goal was to have fun and try another new doctrine (for me at least). Mission accomplished. Thanks to Buntspecht and The Tuskers for bringing good fights!

Fleet preparation
I think fleet preparation was not bad. I looked back at my previous AARs to get a quick reminder of things that could have gone better earlier. Furthermore, I read the doctrine page on the wiki again. I think both helped me in remembering things in fleet preparation and during fights.

Fleet support program was fabulous again with providing ships on contract at Eugales and reships at Ichoriya. The production department got in contact with me about two things in the fits I provided so that 1)the costs could be reduced while not lowering the DPS too much and 2)I considered which drones to take for my Logi. Because of 1) I also requested some extra cap boosters. This was not necessary in hindsight. When forming up in Eugales after the travel-fleet, I noticed I forgot to include nanite repair paste in the fits. I also realised after the fleet that I forgot to let people x up for webs/points instead of scrams, despite my valiant effort to bring them from HSC.

I pinged three possible OOC content-creators that this fleet would be going out. Two of those showed up, which is great! We had two reasonably balanced fights and I am really happy I did this. 10/10 will do again.

This AAR contains videos of the fights. Unfortunately, I only caught my comms over Mumble and not those of others. It seems CCP is not the only ones being sabotaged... :/

Kills and Losses
Video 1
(20:43:57) Vlillirier
Tristan -6m
Our newbro got blown up by gate guns because we engaged a Gnosis jumping in from Renarelle (fleet was at the Vlillirier side of the gate). I did not tell my Logi to pre-lock up our newbro and the Gnosis jumped back into Renarelle. To our newbro: Welcome to PvP fleets, this is only the first of many balls of fire in which you'll die! ^^

Because of the early loss, I overestimated the DPS of gate guns on our armour tank and called for others to bounce while Logi could keep up easily.

Video 2
(20:49:24) Nennamaila
Keres -47.17m
One of our scouts reported a Loki and a Retribution outside a small plex. I asked for the distance from our in-gate, but our scout reported the distance from the acceleration gate in the plex. Nevertheless, our scouts chased and one went down before we were able to land and provide backup. When we landed, the Loki was at 83km and the Retribution at 135km and both warped off. Ah well, at least some of the fireworks dropped. xD

Video 3
(21:01:24) Innia
Atron +3.39m
Capsule +0.01m
After reshipping our newbro and scout, we went to Innia. One of our scouts reported a Caldari Navy Hookbill and an Atron on a Large plex. I called the scout to keep distance and decided to jump into the system. Warp distance was 100+AU, so I decided to jump early into Innia, warp directly to our scout, who was 50km from the CNH and I told our scout to engage. This could have been done better: if the scout kept burning, we might have landed on top of the CNH. Now we landed on top of the Atron and I called it primary. The CNH was able to warp off, unfortunately.

Video 4
(21:12:30) Iralaja
Exequror -38.84m
Deacon +82.09m
Magus -79.95m
First of all, this system name is hard to pronounce. I tried multiple times and failed miserably, lol.
While the fleet was in Martoh, I saw the first signs of the result of my OOC "we want to fight" pings. Our scouts reported multiple options for fights in Iralaja as we were warping to the gate. A Wolf landed and I first thought it would jump through directly. It didn't, so I called to anchor, lock it up and wait with engagement (it was flashy, but weapons timers is a thing). I also told the scouts to wait with engaging in Iralaja because I was focussed on the Wolf on our grid. I decided to not split the fleet, jump into Iralaja and cold-warp our fleet to one of our scouts. Despite that, I noticed our newbro not being on the gate while jumping through. In warp to our scout, I asked about it and hear he had a weapons timer (video confirms this, he engaged despite my command not to do so ^^). I told him to wait out the timer and then join the fleet again in Iralaja.

The scout to whom we warped was outside on a medium plex. The aforementioned Wolf followed us and brought friends. Somehow, our booster went into the plex while friend number 1 landed in a Malediction (I did not know our booster went in and only saw it on video though). I called to anchor up and turn the prop mods on for one cycle in an attempt to gain distance from the Wolf who was within our short-ammo range (while having long-range ammo loaded). I correctly called to use the proper ammo for the Wolf which I called primary (Malediction was 40km away). Target broadcast was slow and I got reminded to do so. The rest of the friends warped in; 3 Wolves, 2 Deacons, 1 Pontifex, 1 Rifter and an (observing, distance-keeping) Stiletto. I kept the initial Wolf primary while still burning away from the gate (now with prop mod continuously running). I mentioned to get the drones out, which was good.

Then, I noticed the Wolf getting reps and the fleet not anchoring properly. I reminded the fleet to keep up and keep the prop mods on. Furthermore, I called the Malediction primary for a target switch. The broadcast was better this time and I started to call secondaries, the latter one being a big improvement from earlier fleets. I even reminded the fleet to use the cap boosters, which I am really happy about. After the Malediction not breaking, I changed to the Pontifex which we also could not break. Next up was one of the Deacons, which got reps in time. Then I switched back to the Pontifex, after which five or six Drakes landed on the acceleration gate and one of our two Logis went down. One of our scouts was at a safe, the fleet was pretty spread out across the field and I decided to cold-warp the fleet out of the fight to fight another day (except for our booster then, who managed to warp back on the grid during the fight and got pointed). We could not have stayed on the grid for so long without our Logi keeping us alive, thank you Logi! For the next time, I need to think of applying alpha damage instead of just calling primary and secondary targets, this might have gotten us a kill here.

After the fight, both Tuskers (the drakes) and Buntspecht (the other ships) loved to have another fight. Since we needed a reship for our Logi and our booster, I decided to go to Akidagi because of our reshipping point in Ichorya. Plan: take down the drakes in a 32-way-fight at one of the plexes. Result: A group of around 30 people burning to Akidagi, not engaging each other despite being flashy. It was a beautiful sight and a showcase of the awesomeness of the EVE-Online community!

Video 5
(21:46:55) Akidagi
Maulus Navy Issue -27.37m
Omen -26.89m
Omen -35.93m
Omen -27.52m
Capsule - Genolution 'Auroral' 197-variant -0.86m
Omen -42.26m
Maulus Navy Issue -22.2m
Omen -35.31m
Omen -27.42m
Exequror -28.3m
Capsule -0.01m
After a bio-break, we gathered up on a safe. I explained our plan (see video) and fleet-warped us into the plex. The six drakes were already there at 150km, I called to achor up and spiralled in slowly. I was hesitant to keep our prob mods running all the time so that our signature would not bloom too much (after this great tip of one of the fleet members). While slowboating, buntspecht landed on the grid in Omens, Augorors, Vexors and a Rupture (yay for upshipping \o/). We formed a nice triangle and started our dance.

I decided to get a sharper angle with our spiral because Buntspecht seemed to burn almost straight to the drakes. At this point, I should have kept the prop mods running continuously but was still hesitant to close the distance too quick and get a too sharp angle. Now, the drakes were able to first fight Buntspecht and afterwards fight us. I called one of the drakes primary, thought of drones and overheating, but simply couldn't break one of them. The overheating was quite early and I should have called for that later. Someone also had ECM drones on FC, not sure what happened there...? xD.

Compared to the Iralaja fight I talked significantly less during combat. I don't know exactly why, but I think it was a combination of 1) the preparation talk at which I already explained what our goal and approach was and 2) I was expecting to blow up in a ball of fire causing a... different mindset? Ah well, as I said at the beginning, we had fun and our mission is accomplished. ^^

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 85,489,264.38
ISK Lost: 446,032,529.22
ISK Delta: -360,543,264.84
Efficiency: 16.084%

Overall evaluation
  • (Positive stuff)
    - Mission accomplished: We had fun, there was content and we had a good atmosphere in comms and my OOC "we want a fight" pings resulted in two 3-way fights
    - Comms from my side were calmer (during combat) and I noticed my different mindset compared to earlier fleets
    - Told our scouts to wait to engage in Iralaja because the fleet was focussed on a Wolf in Martoh. In my opinion, this shows awareness of the bigger picture
    - Broadcasting targets improved during the fleet
    - Good positional awareness during the fight in Iralaja
    - We used tha drones! \o/

~~ (Meh... stuff)
    - Ammo management was... ok-ish. I was aware of our different ammo options and I used the commands. However, I still need to get used to it. This was especially visible during fights. Just before fights, ammo prep was actually pretty good
    - I'm a bit too quick letting loose my push-to-talk which causes commands to be cut off
    - We left tha drones behind :/
    - Naive me mentioned myself as FC in local for Buntspecht to get in touch with me, which I need to do differently by direct-convo. In this case no bad things happened, but it could have been bad

(Learnings)
    - "Gate" is too generic to ask distances. I should use "acceleration gate" or "System name gate". (which I already applied at one of our later fights in this fleet, yay for learning on the job during pew-pew!)
    - The spiral-in at the Akidagi fight was too slow, enabling the drakes to fight two fleets sequentially instead of concurrently.
    - When using cruisers and having enough Logi, taking gate guns while there is no target is no problem
    - I need to be more specific with gun usage commands to get a high alpha
    - Brought web/point to form-up and didn't hand them out...
    - Forgot a vanguard '*facepalm*
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Re: [AAR] 2020-02-04 Good Omens / Exequrors LowSec Roam

Post by Yto Itinen »

Thanks for taking this fleet out Nienke!
I will just post some remarks from the top of my head(vid5 is down btw)

Scouting for a fleet entails that the scout should know what is intel is needed from him, and one of the first things he considers is how fast fleet can reach him. As for the naming convention, "distance to plex from ingate ####" is common norm.

For the AF fleet fight, some things could have been a bit better, namely target broadcasting: while older players might have the overview open with the same settings as the FC, for the newer players the history window and the broadcasts there are the best option.
As an anchor, you did well at first on gaining some range on the enemy fleet, that was a perfect position...for a logi anchor. Rest of the fleet I suspect got stuck on the gate and remained stationary. At that point, especially when the Deacon seemed to burn in the middle of the fleet, the FC decided to gain range on it. I don't know how many webs, if at all, we had, but being closer to a primary target helps us to keep dps pouring in. After he gained range of us, that deacon died to the incoming Drake fleet :P
The AF fleet did a few things very well, they tried to break a random Cruiser(Baldrick), failed to do so, engaged a softer target(our Booster) failed to break him and finally concentrated on our logi: since we were only two, the reps were halvened all in one go.
We followed the same strategy, but a minute too slow. We will get better with experience.

I also did a mistake in here, as I still had my scanres script when the fight began, to lock scouts fast. That saved Mike on the CNN/atron fight, but in a fleet fight I should have gone directly to ECCM script: the enemy DPS was on Asuka, their ECM drones were on me. He was already in hull and dipping when one jam landed, so while I switched the script, Asuka was down. So, two logi, even while independent, are easily headshotted in a fleet fight.

As for the Drake fight, I still wanted to review the footage before speaking, I suspect we got too close with MWDs On for them to apply so well.
Tbh, I have still no idea if this fleet was supposed to be kitey or brawly, because we did not excel at either of those things.
As for the ECM drones on you, I was not awoxing :D It's just that drones on agressive follow the last target you locked and since I was repping you and using them on the enemy Garmur to break tackle, they might have gotten a few shots on you before getting reassigned. Still, a kill is a kill :D

Until next time, fly dangerous!
Yto Itinen
ImageImage
ImageImage

Nienke Solette

Post by Nienke Solette »

Video 5 was not uploaded correctly, the link should work soon (otherwise I'm brute-forcing a fresh upload tomorrow) ^^
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Title: Royal Champion of House Tash-Murkon, Chatty Kelon, Master Baiter, Graduate

Post by Kelon Darklight »

Hey Guys! I wasn't at the fight myself but I was hoping to provide some feedback.

So first of all spiraling is a thing you do vs turret ships, and only when its smaller vs larger ships. HAMs only care about 3 things, your speed, your size, and if reaches you before expiring. You could have dove straight in without needing to worry about spiraling. Or stayed outside of easy HAM range and poked stuff and warped off if you couldn't tank. That may have been hard to try with all scrams though. Even vs battleships I am not sure spiraling would have helped much as it would be rough to reduce damage without a sig reduction built into the hull.

Another thing you missed was the drakes were RR fit (this is why they were tanking so hard).

Fit 1:
Spoiler
[Drake, *Drake no links]
IFFA Compact Damage Control
Ballistic Control System II

Fleeting Compact Stasis Webifier
Medium Electrochemical Capacitor Booster I
50MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
Large F-S9 Regolith Compact Shield Extender
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II

Heavy Assault Missile Launcher II
Large Murky Compact Remote Shield Booster

Medium Ancillary Current Router II
Medium Processor Overclocking Unit I
Medium Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer II

Hornet EC-300 x5

Active Shielding Charge x300
Shield Harmonizing Charge x300
Shield Extension Charge x300
Mjolnir Rage Heavy Assault Missile x500
Scourge Javelin Heavy Assault Missile x500
Navy Cap Booster 800 x16
Nova Rage Heavy Assault Missile x500
Caldari Navy Scourge Heavy Assault Missile x1000
Caldari Navy Mjolnir Heavy Assault Missile x500
Nanite Repair Paste x100
Fit 2:
Spoiler
[Drake, Drake links]
IFFA Compact Damage Control
Pro-Nav Compact Missile Guidance Enhancer

Warp Scrambler II
Medium Electrochemical Capacitor Booster I
Large F-S9 Regolith Compact Shield Extender

Shield Command Burst II
Large Murky Compact Remote Shield Booster

Medium Ancillary Current Router II
Medium Processor Overclocking Unit I
Medium Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer II

Hornet EC-300 x5

Active Shielding Charge x300
Shield Harmonizing Charge x300
Nova Rage Heavy Assault Missile x500
Mjolnir Rage Heavy Assault Missile x500
Scourge Javelin Heavy Assault Missile x500
Navy Cap Booster 800 x16
Shield Extension Charge x300
Caldari Navy Scourge Heavy Assault Missile x1000
Caldari Navy Mjolnir Heavy Assault Missile x500
Nanite Repair Paste x100
While not too obvious at first, once you realized how hard they were tanking, you could have looked at the ships as you can see the ingame RR effect. A way to counter RRs like is bumping them apart, as without bonuses they have fairly short range.

Also, I looked at the lossmails, there isn't any reason to fit the prototype EANMS vs refuge platings, as refuge platings are actually more resists (same as t2 plating actually). I also noticed a lack of webs, you might want to have some omens fit webs as you are brawl fit anyway.

Also, the exequrors should be fielding a flight of medium armor bots as they get a significant bonus to them (though to be fair its never as much in practice due to flight time, etc. ). If you aren't going to do that, you might want to look into augs instead as they will rep more. Also 100mn to get most out of it does require forethought and practice as its a real slug to turn, not sure if the pilot was having any issues with that.

I noticed you had a Magus for links, but you can also field this for armor brawling comps:
Spoiler
[Prophecy, *INFPC Bait]

Damage Control II
Corpum C-Type Energized EM Membrane
Corpum C-Type Energized Kinetic Membrane
Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane II
True Sansha Energized Thermal Membrane
1600mm Steel Plates II
True Sansha Energized Explosive Membrane

Fleeting Compact Stasis Webifier
Small Electrochemical Capacitor Booster I
Warp Scrambler II

Medium Gremlin Compact Energy Neutralizer
Medium Gremlin Compact Energy Neutralizer
Armor Command Burst II, Armor Energizing Charge
Armor Command Burst II, Armor Reinforcement Charge
Armor Command Burst II, Rapid Repair Charge

Medium Trimark Armor Pump I
Medium Command Processor I
Medium Command Processor I

Berserker II x2
Hammerhead II x2
Hobgoblin II x1
Light Armor Maintenance Bot I x5
Valkyrie II x5
Vespa EC-600 x5
Warrior II x5

Armor Energizing Charge x200
Armor Reinforcement Charge x200
Rapid Repair Charge x200
Navy Cap Booster 400 x21
Sure its not bonused, but its a real brick, can drop some utility neut pressure, some dps, and tackle if the Magus pilots wants to get stuck in instead of running around. Don't be alarmed at the deadspace/faction modules, its all fairly cheap actually. Actually cheaper than Magus due to insurance. You can also drop the neuts, swap to guns, go for a bit more damage in lows as its not super likely to get targeted early. Also a great FC ship as well as its almost certainly going to go down last, and if they try to headshot you, you have the best tank in the fleet.
Champion of Tash-Murkon
Budda Sereda
Title: Manager (Fittings), Mentor, Lieutenant, Graduate, Management

Post by Budda Sereda »

Did not watch first 4 videos, so commenting the first fight based on aar.

1. Good fight in general, including cold-war to gtfo.

2nd fight, could have been better. Sorry, in my usual style, quite a few recommendations.

1. As Kelon mentioned already, No need to spiral to Drakes, this makes only sense when approaching gun-based ships as that reduces tracking. Drakes are missile-based and missiles dont care about angular velocity.

2. Thank you Kelon for mentioning about logy drones for logy ships. Especially in Exequror.

Further from video:

3. Don't EVER warp to plex at 0: ships might stick in the acceleration gate. Always warp at 10km, this still allows to activate and slide the gate immediately.

4. Get eyes on grid before warping. In this case it probably would not matter, but in other cases will save the fleet. And try to warp at range you need. If they are at 130km, see if they are aligned to something (planet, moon, station, another plex), and if yes, warp from it at 100km.

5. Your "local" takes too much space. The only thing you really need from it is the # of pilots in local, and in some cases, if new people appeared in system. To see this you select all pilots in local, those who just joined will be unelected. For this you dont need the whole window open. When it's too big, it impacts your manual piloting and prevents to see the grid.
Similar, I'd recommend to narrow overview.
Usually it is full height, but much narrower. You need to see the distance, hull, pilot name, corp, alliance. From few last you rarely need the fill name. Often 5-6 characters is enough.

5. With Pulse lasers, range of your Omens (23.8+5km) is similar to Drakes HAM (25.3km with navy missiles). But your dps at long range (281, no drones) is much lower than at short range (393 with Conflag). So you want to fight them at 0. With short range ammo and ideallymaybe, mwd off.

6. Usually, people just double click in space to move, that shenanigans with vectors is time consuming in fight.

7. Watch the grid, remind, sometimes you need to remind literally 10 times for people to anchor up. Call names if general reminder does not help. Very related question: shooting that Drake you stayed at 23km for quite a while, but the rest of the fleet was quite spreadout and might be out of their optimal range, which is BAD for Laser guns.

8. Chosing primary. In this case you really had time and I'd recommend locking all drakes, see which one takes damage from the 3rd party and focus on it as well.

9. "Someone has Hornets on the FC": sounds like a good example why logies should NOT use dps drones :)

10. Overheating. You called for it early in the fight, for a few cycles. But you also had to call for them a bit later, once that drake lost 3-4 of his shield.

11. I feel would be good if you guys joined fleet with other folks, let them FC: tjus way you would have more chances and could also learn from another FC.

Hope this helps, keep creating content.