[AAR] Noobs Night in the Hole 2020-01-18

Erywin Chelien

[AAR] Noobs Night in the Hole 2020-01-18

Post by Erywin Chelien »

WHC invited Unistas down to Innuendo for a camping trip in spooky space, spoiler: we got rolled out twice! Was a great night and I'm looking forward to hosting these more regularly, so that people get more of a chance to experience wormhole space. Thank you to everybody who helped make the night fun and engaging, thanks also to those that showed up and participated!

Roam members (30)
Spoiler
Analee Tsasa
Ariea Thellare
BattlePig Mac
Brookie Achasse - Ashimmu
Clevin Reinaps
Conci Furiram
Erywin Chelien
Feras Dawod
Flack Keikira - Augoror
Flatline Kasenumi
Hajime Lalapalooza - Vexor
John Echeriedes - Exequror
Kai-Alon Deninard
Kiuna McGullygosh
Kryax Bluth
Larkvi
Marv Edwoods
Mike Kingswell
Nicholas Pilger
Nienke Solette
Rayni Ptarth
Shizuka Shinano
Sone Eto
Tyrion Edwardes
Waruiru
Xulioux
YooJin Moon - Augoror
Zemballa Aideron
Zokr McLan - Augoror
We started off with a travel fleet from Amy, we managed to get an Eggs within 11jumps, nothing exciting happened. Formup was super quick and we had people ask questions about wormhole space as we traveled. Once we got to Innu, we were promptly bubbled and shot at with fireworks from WHC members! Thanks for the warm welcome :)

After docking up in Dormitory, WHC members reshipped into Harvester ships and we took a quick bio. When folks got back, we undocked and headed to Bacon, our C3 static that we harvest in, to run some combat sites. It was great seeing the UniBlob just decimate the sleepers! Nothing exciting, other than we got reports that there were a couple of Nestors and Leshaks in a C5 running combat sites! Next on to the PVP side of things!

We headed back to Innu to reship into our Light Armor doctrine with Vexor support to try and catch the C5 folks, unfortunately when we jumped in our bubblers, they saw us and docked up. We thought that we weren't going to get any action until Conci informed us that they undocked 2 Nestors, 4 Leshaks and a Brutix Navy Issue, and warped to the hole we were sitting on the other side of! They jumped into us and we had a good fight, they focused our Logi and we couldn't hold or break one of the Nestors. We got one of them to half armor before reps started landing. We lost all of our logi so we called for people to jump the hole, which started the real fun, we managed to crit the hole with our fleet on their side of the hole and their fleet on our side of the hole. There was no way we could jump either fleet back before the hole collapsed so we gave GFs and started to find our way home. Thankfully we had a T3C and bubbler with probes, we started scanning down the wormholes and managed to find a lowsec connection only 8 jumps from Amy! Unfortunately, just as the fleet landed and one of our bubblers jumped, the hole collapsed due to being End of Life! That was the second hole that we had gotten rolled out of during the night, but such is wormhole life, and everybody took it in stride. We managed to find a hisec connection, but it was 25 jumps to Amy, so we started our long trip home. Mostly uneventful, saw some WTs in local but nobody bothered us, and we got back in time for a QRF and the structure bash that was forming.

Kills and Losses

(20:46:56) J164025
Augoror -17.06m
Augoror -41.1m
Augoror -40.77m
Ashimmu -125.6m
Vexor -20.23m
Exequror -27.27m
Capsule -0.01m

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 0
ISK Lost: 272,041,806.92
ISK Delta: -272,041,806.92
Efficiency: 0%

All in all, it was a great night! Looking at the Kills and Losses it looked like a pretty uneven fight, which it was, but everybody had fun. The folks visiting for NNitH made ~40mil ISK each for the harvesting and we only lost one Vexor and an Aug from the visitors. The event went smoothly and we got to experience both PVE and PVP in wormhole space, so I'm very pleased with the event and we will be looking at hosting these monthly at different times for others to enjoy.

Overall evaluation

Positive Stuff
- Formup was super fast and Mike Kingswell dropped by to give me a few Vexors to hand out
- WHC members were a huge help with rolling both Bacon and Eggs, scouting, and generally making everybody feel welcome!
- Everybody was great listening to commands and thanks to those that helped by broadcasting Aligns and Jumps, etc
- We took a fight that was way above our fleet comp, even though we outnumbered them, we just couldn't break the Nestors
- Using BLAP Vexors worked great for Harvesting and PVP, which made the event more accessible and less time spent reshipping
- Was my first fleet as FC and things went better than I hoped
- Visitors got the full wormhole experience, they say you can't be a true wormholer until you have been rolled out!

Learnings
- We didn't get to blow up Mike Kingswell :(
- Remember to confirm with FCs that offered to help run the PVP roam, thankfully our Illustrious Leader Conci Furiram saved the day
- I should've checked in with the Logistics department to make sure there were both T1 and T2 BLAP Vexors on contract in Amy, but Mikey saved us
- I had planned on rolling Eggs the night before but we had a connection that was 4 jumps to Jita, I made the decision to roll 2hrs before the event (which meant waking up at 6am local time), this was probably the biggest mistake as by the end of 6hrs I was exhausted.
Professor Academiac
Title: Ensign, Not actually a professor, Teacher, Graduate

Re: [AAR] Noobs Night in the Hole 2020-01-18

Post by Professor Academiac »

Sounds like it was a fun event! I'm jealous I missed it. Thanks Erywin and everyone who helped for making this happen!
ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Teacher • Mentor • Junior FC
Waruiru

Post by Waruiru »

Yes, most entertaining and quite smooth. Thanks to all the visitors and to everyone who helped out.

A couple of points to make the next one even smoother.

The harvester had three logi, one for shield and two for armor. We can use only two safely. The shield logi usually handled things, but with the large number of people, a number of folks got down into armor on occasion. The Vexor tank was fine. Having both types kept us nicely topped up. Not good practice for PVP, but quite effective in this PVE situation. Could free someone up for salvaging or scouting down the chain for pvp. We seemed rather well set up for dps.

Stick to the roam doctrine posted. We spent a bit of time going back on forth on logi and if we state it early and stick to it, it lets the FC focus on the special snowflakes.

We might want to consider making one of the WHC people the logi fc and have them organize that part of the fleet. It would take some work off the FC. We did get a cap chain set up, but I feel we might have been more effective if we had centralized direction. Hmm, it looks like I might have just volunteered myself... (note: we had some really experienced people in logi. I was not one of them, so if I am missing something, please let me know)

And next time you want to kill Mike Kingswell, use the whisper channel, I will bring the HIC. Takes a fair bit to hold that guy down...

All in all, a good event and an epic escape from the EOL hole!
Last edited by Waruiru on 2020.01.19 21:39, edited 1 time in total.
BattlePig Mac

Post by BattlePig Mac »

Big thanks to everyone who made this WH experience possible!
The bubbling welcome was a nice surprise and we learned a lot.
Increadible how big my share of the loot is concidering how many people were in fleet... :shock:
ImageImageImageImage
Nienke Solette

Post by Nienke Solette »

Thanks WHC and especially Erwyn for a great NNitH! Had a blast and learned a couple of things. ^^

Tip: the Uni has a Fleet Support Program - - > https://forum.eveuniversity.org/viewtop ... 6&p=905940
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Post by Hajime Lalapalooza »

Thank you WHC and Erwyn for NNitH.
It was fun and a good learning experience.

Looking forward to the next NNitH.
Larkvi

Post by Larkvi »

I had fun. It was a wild ride. After clarifications on the procedure, I applied to and was accepted to WHC. Once I get a few things in order at my present home campus and can move my exploration ships, I will plan on coming by to stay for a bit, which should be exciting.
Last edited by Larkvi on 2020.01.20 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Erywin Chelien

Post by Erywin Chelien »

Larkvi wrote:I had fun. It was a wild ride. After clarifications on the procedure, I applied to and was accepted too WHC. Once I get a few things in order at my present home campus and can move my explore ships, I will plan on coming by to stay for a bit, which should be exciting.
Glad you enjoyed it! If you have any questions about moving in, feel free to drop me a line on WHC slack or in game. Happy to help.

Cheers,
E
Willuw Everquest

Post by Willuw Everquest »

Erywin Chelien wrote:WHC invited Unistas down to Innuendo for a camping trip in spooky space, spoiler: we got rolled out twice! Was a great night and I'm looking forward to hosting these more regularly, so that people get more of a chance to experience wormhole space. Thank you to everybody who helped make the night fun and engaging, thanks also to those that showed up and participated!

Roam members (30)
Spoiler
Analee Tsasa
Ariea Thellare
BattlePig Mac
Brookie Achasse - Ashimmu
Clevin Reinaps
Conci Furiram
Erywin Chelien
Feras Dawod
Flack Keikira - Augoror
Flatline Kasenumi
Hajime Lalapalooza - Vexor
John Echeriedes - Exequror
Kai-Alon Deninard
Kiuna McGullygosh
Kryax Bluth
Larkvi
Marv Edwoods
Mike Kingswell
Nicholas Pilger
Nienke Solette
Rayni Ptarth
Shizuka Shinano
Sone Eto
Tyrion Edwardes
Waruiru
Xulioux
YooJin Moon - Augoror
Zemballa Aideron
Zokr McLan - Augoror
We started off with a travel fleet from Amy, we managed to get an Eggs within 11jumps, nothing exciting happened. Formup was super quick and we had people ask questions about wormhole space as we traveled. Once we got to Innu, we were promptly bubbled and shot at with fireworks from WHC members! Thanks for the warm welcome :)

After docking up in Dormitory, WHC members reshipped into Harvester ships and we took a quick bio. When folks got back, we undocked and headed to Bacon, our C3 static that we harvest in, to run some combat sites. It was great seeing the UniBlob just decimate the sleepers! Nothing exciting, other than we got reports that there were a couple of Nestors and Leshaks in a C5 running combat sites! Next on to the PVP side of things!

We headed back to Innu to reship into our Light Armor doctrine with Vexor support to try and catch the C5 folks, unfortunately when we jumped in our bubblers, they saw us and docked up. We thought that we weren't going to get any action until Conci informed us that they undocked 2 Nestors, 4 Leshaks and a Brutix Navy Issue, and warped to the hole we were sitting on the other side of! They jumped into us and we had a good fight, they focused our Logi and we couldn't hold or break one of the Nestors. We got one of them to half armor before reps started landing. We lost all of our logi so we called for people to jump the hole, which started the real fun, we managed to crit the hole with our fleet on their side of the hole and their fleet on our side of the hole. There was no way we could jump either fleet back before the hole collapsed so we gave GFs and started to find our way home. Thankfully we had a T3C and bubbler with probes, we started scanning down the wormholes and managed to find a lowsec connection only 8 jumps from Amy! Unfortunately, just as the fleet landed and one of our bubblers jumped, the hole collapsed due to being End of Life! That was the second hole that we had gotten rolled out of during the night, but such is wormhole life, and everybody took it in stride. We managed to find a hisec connection, but it was 25 jumps to Amy, so we started our long trip home. Mostly uneventful, saw some WTs in local but nobody bothered us, and we got back in time for a QRF and the structure bash that was forming.

Kills and Losses

(20:46:56) J164025
Augoror -17.06m
Augoror -41.1m
Augoror -40.77m
Ashimmu -125.6m
Vexor -20.23m
Exequror -27.27m
Capsule -0.01m

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 0
ISK Lost: 272,041,806.92
ISK Delta: -272,041,806.92
Efficiency: 0%

All in all, it was a great night! Looking at the Kills and Losses it looked like a pretty uneven fight, which it was, but everybody had fun. The folks visiting for NNitH made ~40mil ISK each for the harvesting and we only lost one Vexor and an Aug from the visitors. The event went smoothly and we got to experience both PVE and PVP in wormhole space, so I'm very pleased with the event and we will be looking at hosting these monthly at different times for others to enjoy.

Overall evaluation

Positive Stuff
- Formup was super fast and Mike Kingswell dropped by to give me a few Vexors to hand out
- WHC members were a huge help with rolling both Bacon and Eggs, scouting, and generally making everybody feel welcome!
- Everybody was great listening to commands and thanks to those that helped by broadcasting Aligns and Jumps, etc
- We took a fight that was way above our fleet comp, even though we outnumbered them, we just couldn't break the Nestors
- Using BLAP Vexors worked great for Harvesting and PVP, which made the event more accessible and less time spent reshipping
- Was my first fleet as FC and things went better than I hoped
- Visitors got the full wormhole experience, they say you can't be a true wormholer until you have been rolled out!

Learnings
- We didn't get to blow up Mike Kingswell :(
- Remember to confirm with FCs that offered to help run the PVP roam, thankfully our Illustrious Leader Conci Furiram saved the day
- I should've checked in with the Logistics department to make sure there were both T1 and T2 BLAP Vexors on contract in Amy, but Mikey saved us
- I had planned on rolling Eggs the night before but we had a connection that was 4 jumps to Jita, I made the decision to roll 2hrs before the event (which meant waking up at 6am local time), this was probably the biggest mistake as by the end of 6hrs I was exhausted.
Nice detailed AAR.

I am going to put on my "WINGSPAN" hunter hat for one second and let you in on a little information; and then I will let you and the WHC leadership try to either mitigate what I am about to tell you; or ignore it- mind you, I still look back fondly on my time in WHC - as it was the place that I (believe) grew my eve skills exponentially ... otherwise I wouldn't tell you what I am about to tell you.

I knew the exact times of the travel fleet, their locations, the doctrine/fits, had the WHC bookmarks for all the current WHs (updating every 5 minutes) - if I had not had a social engagement; there would have been a real chance that there would have been mass casualties on the Eve_Uni side as I would have brought WINGSPAN friends. Mind you, I didn't even try to get this information (I didn't and was astounded when I got it), it was literally given to me, through old eve-uni information flows etc ... nor did I, at the time, have an alt in Eve_Uni. It's one thing to know that there is a NNITH event, it's another to have the exact details of when/where/composition/doctrines/BMs. I don't, nor ever had access to ESIs as I was not nor ever desired to be a PO ... it's simple things to fix; I'll let you figure those out, I suggest you fix them.

Erywin, way to step up to the plate.
"I see a massive blob of Blinky-tiny spheres floating around in space on my screen...with 27 windows open everywhere ...and I am trying to feverishly activate the right modules on the right targets that are being called with shaky hands… if I can do that that's 90 % success to me..." Willuw - 3 Aug 2019
Mike Kingswell

Post by Mike Kingswell »

Waruiru wrote: And next time you want to kill Mike Kingswell, use the whisper channel, I will bring the HIC. Takes a fair bit to hold that guy down...
Word!

Would have loved to actually be around more but work n all that.
No idea where that obsession with killing me comes from though - suspecting conci though!

Was really happy to see a NNitH after a while since in the past I have enjoyed them very much! (Any in the future I shall some more!)
Alumnus, Teacher
Image Image Image Image Image