[AAR] Secret Sail Op

Anidien Dallacort
Director of Education
Director of Education

Re: [AAR] Secret Sail Op

Post by Anidien Dallacort »

Fair point, thank you, I did not account for hull role and skill range bonuses.

While it adds variables that make the task more difficult, my point still stands, though, that there should be a way to table up effective ranges of any offensive option prior to disembarking and sit in that range, to ensure that doesn’t have to be done on the fly, or have half the fleet ineffective.

Choosing other ships that fit in the main doctrine range is certainly a solution, but presents it’s own skill plan problem. It also takes away from playing in the strengths of the ‘lesser’ ships. For example, Hybrid ammo has the advantage of striding across the natural, secondary resistance holes of both Shield and Armor. So facing a fleet shield tanked against hybrid ammo, leaves, for example, a possible gaping EM resist hole (primary natural shield hole not filled with a hardener) which can be filled with EM missiles off those ‘lesser’ ships - if their weaknesses can be accounted for (I.e. range).
Anidien Dallacort - Director of Education
Skirmish FC, Graduate

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Turlough Dominian
Retired Director
Retired Director
Title: Manager (Events), Senior Personnel Officer, Spai Hunter Extraordinaire, interrupter, Events, Graduate, Management

Post by Turlough Dominian »

Dryu Moskwin wrote:
Management finally relented and had us participate in operations of this size for the first time in years and given the feedback its receiving, I think this will be the last of it. It would really be a pity, because these large fleet engagements are really fun and a great experience! Between staying docked and losing a great battle, I'd always go for the second. I'd prefer winning by a large margin though!
I really hope it will not put an end to Eve Uni trying to perform these size and style of fleets because really it seems that the average "linemember" or "newbie" within Eve Uni really enjoyed it, regardless of whatever drama or whatnot has occured. In between some of the comments that management has deemed unhelpful there is a lot of very helpful comments in this thread alone which would certainly make any future fight of this type a great opportunity to put into practice the various lessons learnt.
i am in very big agreement there is alot of useful and helpful comments that should be taken on board and hopefully help improve these going forward,
My own personal opinion is i wouldn't worrie about these things not happening again , its provided lots of stuff that we can improve on and try next time and win or loose i do like pew pew im not a very pve kind of guy i only do pve to fund my pvp so definitely would love to see more of these.

but ye like i say wouldn't worrie about it not happening again as that would make gathering feedback to improve a tad pointless imo

also again thank you all who have taken the time to give feedback / point of views , I didn't get to take part i had IRL commitments for the whole thing but just from reading these its helped me personally alot. and big props to our wartargets ty again for the fight but more so thank you for helping give feedback
Retired Assistant Personnel Manager,Retired Director of special projects, Retired Assistant Guidance Manager, Retired Events Manager,Retired senior Personnel Officer Graduate,
Budda Sereda
Title: Manager (Fittings), Mentor, Lieutenant, Graduate, Management

Post by Budda Sereda »

Conci Furiram wrote:
let's take a look at the Monitor for a bit.
Let's not. The appropriate FC ship for such engagements was a Tengu.

... The mainline Feroxes should not be running their MWD permanently.
Many (if not all?) Ferox doctrines, including E-Uni, according to the video, have cap booster. I guess this is indeed to be able to move on grid.

Regarding 'rigs in cargo'. I've seen many emerging FCs (trained as part of FCC) who asked newbros to do a RAPID check before undock:
R - fit Rigs
A - Ammunition - ensure you have enough, and add new if needed
P - don't remember what this stands for, maybe nanite Paste?
I - Insure your ship
D - check your Drones

And with all kudos and support to new FCs and content generators, I'm really surprised that neither of FCC participants was involved into this. Before FCing fleet of 50, it is good to FC fleet of 15 first, and do it many times. And knowledge only is not enough, experience helps a lot.

Recommendation to Psychotic: PvE missions fleets won't help to master PvP FCing. It will give basics, but not more than that.

Whoever was 3rd IC: good call clearing tackle before bounce. One more thing you could do is to call fleet to align, and later just warp the whole fleet.

And guys, FLY MORE OFTEN: same as FCs, line members do need practice!
Budda Sereda

Post by Budda Sereda »

And few more advise to line members:
- do OH your invulnerability fields once you started taking damage
- use hot keys to manage your guns

2Baldrick: the fact that you killed 1 Ferox tells that you can catch them, but trying to break Tengu or Basi when you can barely kill Ferox is just a waste of time. Better keep trying to break DPS.
And as it was told above, when you need to alpha something, you need to ask pilots to
- clear all targets (unlock everyone)
- decycle guns
- lock 2-4 targets
- wait 2-4 more seconds than you lock them yourself
- don't call primary until you call 3-2-1 because usually someone will start shooting earlier

Easy to advise, though I admit hard to execute. Keep trying!
Bates Larsson
Director of Information Services
Director of Information Services
Title: Director of Web Services, Starts but can't finish...

Post by Bates Larsson »

Just wanted to second what Turtle said, a big thank you to all the useful comments especially from the other sides perspective.

Don’t worry there are no plans to stop these kinds of fleets in the future as Turtle said, fun was had all round so why stop it. :D

The Uni’s goal is to teach, as much as possible, everything PvE and PvP so we wont restrict players for arbitrary reasons.
Also, on the topic of banning, people only get banned for offensive or abusive behaviour, it is never because of contrary options. Everyone is always welcome and in fact encouraged to give feedback, but if that feedback becomes insult slinging then you will either get temp blocked until you calm down or in the extreme case banned.

As a person who doesnt FC fleets, I have learnt a lot from reading these AAR's.

You guys are awesome and keep flying safe o7.
~Fly Like You Mean It~
Budda Sereda

Post by Budda Sereda »

we’ll end up with a stalemate, where we have so much Logi that we can’t be broken, but not enough DPS to break the target, for example
I have not seen many stalemates, very-very often, you break logies by fast primary switch. What helps are remote sensor dampeners with scan resolution scripts.

Also, you can varry between 2-3 dps ships, and back to logies, this is especially important in case of cap chain logies.

And regarding hp/s reps from logies. On paper, hp/s coming from 8 ospreys is similar to what comes from 5 bassis. Though we need to be mindful that repping Feroxes that might be the same repping power, but repping ospreys vs bassis is a very different thing as t2 logies have much higher resist and they get 2-3 times more reps than t1.

You still can break them, as they have relatively low tank, but need to be fast and smart.