AAR: Visit from OMGGF (Gergoran's first time leading BC's)

Gergoran Moussou

AAR: Visit from OMGGF (Gergoran's first time leading BC's)

Post by Gergoran Moussou »

While we were sitting in the Fortizar talking about/= trying to form up to run Bacon's anomalies, Willuw and Canbti reported that a group of Legions, a Stratios, and a Praxis were on the way to Innuendo. Marcus called Light Armor. He does not speak on voice when wife is home, so someone else (less experienced than him) had to FC. The people with any sort of FC experience in the hole at the time were me, Ithugor, and Amoni. The other two were flying logi, so that left me as the one to call targets.

This was not a winnable fight, but not everything worth fighting is winnable.

We waited on our side of the hole. First thing that came through was the Praxis. I called to burn the Praxis since I thought we stood more of a chance of killing it than the T3C's. Stratios and Sabre decloaked along with some Legions and a Proteus. I called Stratios as the next target and ordered drones to switch to Stratios. Praxis jumped the hole and those of us in range switched to the Sabre (I had not initially called it because its danger already occurred, it bubbled as soon as it decloaked).

Logi got neuted out. I called for everyone to burn off from the bubble and warp back to the Fortizar. I made a few mistakes on how I handled this part. I called to burn off from the bubble so that everyone who was not tackled could get out. The big thing that I did wrong was that I changed my mind to keep fighting and changed back to running a couple of times. I have a habit of getting flustered when we've obviously lost a fight even if it was clearly never going to be won.

And then we rolled the hole. Eir and I got rolled out and had to go 31j home (28 of which were gates, starting with several in Aridia) in Higgs-rigged battleships. That took a while.

Roam members (11)
Spoiler
Amoni Panala
Canbti Remuw
Eir Geiravor - Brutix
Gergoran Moussou - Brutix
Ithugor Wells
Marcus Arilia - Brutix
Vincemt' Night - Ashimmu
Willuw Everquest
Kills and Losses

(04:03:05) J211936
Ashimmu -120.46m
Sabre +88.18m
Brutix -79.88m
Brutix -82.74m

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 88,178,826.79
ISK Lost: 283,071,793.73
ISK Delta: -194,892,966.94
Efficiency: 23.752%

Overall evaluation
  • (Positive stuff)
    Nobody got podded.
    (Negative stuff)
    WHC USTZ is a bit lower SP and ISK than WHC EUTZ. So we couldn't undock heavy armor (and I had actually just adjusted my skillqueue to get into Drekavacs tomorrow for krabbing rather than be halfway done with Energy Grid Upgrades V so I could fly a Sacrilege by some point next week for a doctrine that we don't undock very often). There was no way that we could have won. We took the fight because taking the fight is the right thing to do, even when you can't win. Better to undock and lose than to sit around being bored.
9th CCI medalist

Marcus Arilia

Re: AAR: Visit from OMGGF (Gergoran's first time leading BC's)

Post by Marcus Arilia »

I’m going to respectfully disagree that there’s no way we could have won. The isk war on this one would only have taken 1 T3C.

1- The praxis was bait, so likely also bait tanked. Staying on it kept our DPS off the shiny stuff that would have made us instantly isk positive.
2- We had 3 sets of eyes in bacon. 1 came back, but we should have ordered the other back as well for more DPS.
3- Logi was neuted out. We should have immediately switched to the Legion that was neuting logi.
4- Having drones one one target while shooting the other gimps our DPS on both. Drones on Sabre makes sense, on the Strat while shooting a bait tanked Praxis that is still in armor less so.
5- Even when we undocked there was a commitment challenge. We chilled on Ali for a good 30 sec when we knew they had eyes. Our edge in that situation is moving fast before they 100% think through your comp.
6- On the scatter we should have burned the Sabre then jumped. The reason we lost so many people is that we had to burn out of bubbles. That doctrine is meant to be slow and tank the hole, not burn 20+ km with the AB on.
7- If some were still on grid with you and tackled, should have kept calling targets to focus fire. Likely no one knew you were working on killing the legion till you almost called the fleet back.

All fights are a learning experience, so learn all you can from it. Glad you stepped up and FC’d other wise we wouldn’t have engaged at all. This was definitely a fight we could have won the isk war on, and possibly won by attrition since I don’t think they had logi. The important thing is it’s about learning for next time.
Graduate xxxxxx Former FCC Staff xxxxxx Content Creator
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Amoni Panala

Post by Amoni Panala »

I think the fact that logi didn't get blapped should be added to the positives. They tried to take me out a couple times and for a moment I thought I was going to have to buy you a new ship (thanks again for loaning me one, I don't know why I don't have both of the logi ships for that doctrine).

I would agree with Marcus that maintaining DPS on the Praxis which was the bait was probably not the right call. Shooting it at first made sense since it came through first to bait us, but we could have switched targets to something a little more blappable. It was good that you called to take out the Sabre, but calling scatter twice and calling people back really threw all of us out of position. Some warped off, some bounced and came back, and while a few people were scrammed and still fighting; the logi were asking if they should come back. Had we come back, we either would have lost our ships or potentially saved one our own. We needed to commit to the scatter or stay on field and change targets. We couldn't do both.

We also lacked a key support role: smartbombers for the ECM and DD drones. We have a ship specifically for countering this problem. Had Ithugor and I not been neuted (and I was being ECM/DD'd to pieces by their drones), I could have stayed on field longer. While it's great that we've moved away from the days of having 5 support smartbombers, one mainline DD, one EWAR, and two logi; that smartbomber is still necessary. We were low on numbers so it makes sense that we didn't have one, but I feel like it's important to point that this doctrine has a lot of bases covered for the most common tactics used against us.

Lastly, I know you think of yourself as inexperienced and all that, but I didn't ask you to take over FCing for me just so you could fail. The three of us (you, Ithugor, and myself) are legit FCs. We may not know all the doctrines out there, but we can still take fleets out and command our fleets to glory. I asked you to FC because I refused to logi and FC at the same time. I asked you because you have more experienced with larger ships than I do (keep in mind I have FC'd frigate fleets almost exclusively). Don't let the vast experience of others you know scare you away from stepping up to the plate.

All in all, I'd say you made a lot of mistakes. Marcus said a lot of stuff I agree with, but I think you should take this as an opportunity to grow. You can do this. You can take this experience and the next time we need an FC be confident that you've learned something about this doctrine and these kinds of engagements.
She/her
Killboard
Image Image Image ImageImage Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Laethe Fooswa

Post by Laethe Fooswa »

Not sure I've picked up exactly how this engagements went down by reading all this... but one thing that jumped out at me.

When I'm flying logi now I always carry some DD drones. Not just to whore... although... fair-play for whoring.
Sometimes as logi you just can't get those damn drones off you... use your own DD whore drones to start clearing ecm drones off yourself. Works nicely.
Gergoran Moussou

Laethe Fooswa wrote:Not sure I've picked up exactly how this engagements went down by reading all this... but one thing that jumped out at me.

When I'm flying logi now I always carry some DD drones. Not just to whore... although... fair-play for whoring.
Sometimes as logi you just can't get those damn drones off you... use your own DD whore drones to start clearing ecm drones off yourself. Works nicely.
That's definitely a good point. The issue is that the doctrine logi contracts don't come with damage drones. I haven't made any changes to the logi ships that I have (and the only changes that I've made to damage ones have been metaing down the T2 stuff which I can't fit, for this Brutix, that was just the armor link). I don't know if Ithugor made any changes to his logi ships, but Amoni borrowed one of mine for this fight. I'm sure that it would be allowed, but when I fly logi (usually because my damage ships all died and I'm waiting for my next payout to buy another), I mostly keep the logi drones so that I don't accidentally friendly fire with them (since Auguror doesn't have any specific drone bonuses, I might replace them with damage drones and assist them to whoever's FC, but we rarely use Auguror).
9th CCI medalist

Gergoran Moussou

Amoni Panala wrote:I think the fact that logi didn't get blapped should be added to the positives. They tried to take me out a couple times and for a moment I thought I was going to have to buy you a new ship (thanks again for loaning me one, I don't know why I don't have both of the logi ships for that doctrine).

I would agree with Marcus that maintaining DPS on the Praxis which was the bait was probably not the right call. Shooting it at first made sense since it came through first to bait us, but we could have switched targets to something a little more blappable. It was good that you called to take out the Sabre, but calling scatter twice and calling people back really threw all of us out of position. Some warped off, some bounced and came back, and while a few people were scrammed and still fighting; the logi were asking if they should come back. Had we come back, we either would have lost our ships or potentially saved one our own. We needed to commit to the scatter or stay on field and change targets. We couldn't do both.

We also lacked a key support role: smartbombers for the ECM and DD drones. We have a ship specifically for countering this problem. Had Ithugor and I not been neuted (and I was being ECM/DD'd to pieces by their drones), I could have stayed on field longer. While it's great that we've moved away from the days of having 5 support smartbombers, one mainline DD, one EWAR, and two logi; that smartbomber is still necessary. We were low on numbers so it makes sense that we didn't have one, but I feel like it's important to point that this doctrine has a lot of bases covered for the most common tactics used against us.

Lastly, I know you think of yourself as inexperienced and all that, but I didn't ask you to take over FCing for me just so you could fail. The three of us (you, Ithugor, and myself) are legit FCs. We may not know all the doctrines out there, but we can still take fleets out and command our fleets to glory. I asked you to FC because I refused to logi and FC at the same time. I asked you because you have more experienced with larger ships than I do (keep in mind I have FC'd frigate fleets almost exclusively). Don't let the vast experience of others you know scare you away from stepping up to the plate.

All in all, I'd say you made a lot of mistakes. Marcus said a lot of stuff I agree with, but I think you should take this as an opportunity to grow. You can do this. You can take this experience and the next time we need an FC be confident that you've learned something about this doctrine and these kinds of engagements.
Yeah. In retrospect, I definitely feel kind of dumb about the Praxis. Thinking back, I would have primaried the Stratios instead, then Sabre. Stuff that we could kill more easily than the T3C's. I'd probably rank this as the second-worst FCing I've ever done (still vastly above when I ran Golden Horde Punishers a while ago).

The idea of us and Ithugor being "legit FCs" feels kind of weird. Sure, I recognize that if not for the lack of FCC mentored fleets keeping me stuck at ensign rather than having advanced to lieutenant, this one would probably put me halfway through the requirements other than mentored fleets to advance from lieutenant to commander (being a brawl composition of some sort and the requirements being a few brawl fleets, a few skirmish fleets, and mentored fleets of each), but I haven't really done that much FCing. I just wanted to go on fleets and there were almost no fleets going out, so I did my own even though in my first one, I was barely out of x-ing up for "Have any of you been on three or fewer fleets?" during the form-up due to the fact that barely any fleets went out at all between when I joined and when we all started FCing in July. I've been playing for a bit under six months, you've been playing for around a month less than me. Yet we're leading people who have been playing the game much longer than we have (granted, a lot of the non-WHC people who join the K-Space fleets have less PVP experience than we do). Even though I have more experience than you leading larger ships than frigates, I really don't have much experience with that either. I've just gone around our previous home in CalGal space with a few Caracals or a few Thoraxes looking through systems that I'm pretty familiar with. I don't even have anywhere near the amount of bookmarks I should for that area as someone who leads fleets through the area (Budda Sereda has offered me a set, I'm waiting on that as well as trying to make a few whenever I pass through the area, apparently this set was previously given out through FCC, but that forum thread seems to mostly be people wondering if the bookmarks program is still active).

And with what Marcus said about nobody noticing that I was shooting the Legion, I mainly was shooting it because it was in range while I was trying to burn out from the bubble (it just happened to influence how I made the mistake of repeatedly changing my mind about withdrawing from the fight).

But yeah, I got flustered by being outnumbered by a group which would have vastly outgunned us even with the same numbers. So I kind of screwed up this fight.
9th CCI medalist

Marcus Arilia

Post by Marcus Arilia »

It’s all good man. Being able to self reflect, accept feedback, and learn from the experience is the most important part.
Graduate xxxxxx Former FCC Staff xxxxxx Content Creator
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage