[AAR] BLAP Caracals

Ithugor Wells

[AAR] BLAP Caracals

Post by Ithugor Wells »

Synopsis
Spoiler
The fleet was off to a hilariously rocky start where I first accidentally had us to to the wrong system and then had our wormhole collapse mere moments before we were going to jump through. Fortunately, I had previously scanned down (but did not check the destinations) of the rest of the wormholes in Thera and there was one that was near our targeted destination.

Ged had organized a somewhat staged fight for me, but unfortunately, they did not want to jump into us. So I had our scout burn us some tacs and then when we had some, we jumped into them.

I tell the fleet to break cloak and anchor up. Also at this time my command dessie informs be that they need to boosh off to not die and I tell the fleet to get on them. Originally Ged and I thought this was a mistake, but now I have mixed feelings. We lost a single Caracal and Osprey in exchange for a Sabre and Jaguar, which is isk positive. However, losing logi isn't great, plus we still had most of a clip left. It probably would have been best if the Boosher only booshed itself and the fleet stayed in engagement range a bit longer.

The next mistake (and it will be a theme unfortunately), is that I accidentally warped myself instead of the fleet to the would-be-lost Caracal. I then didn't do a good job giving orders in order to get the fleet to myself. If I fleet warp succeeded, it is possible we could have the Caracal and killed off the enemy Caracal.

When trying to depart from this sub-engagement, I think I failed to comprehend how slow the Ospreys were as they got left behind. I think this could have been partially fixed by having the logi somehow not follow my warps and then letting them warp in at a different range. Otherwise, I should have considered sticking around longer so we could haze any tackle on our logi first before getting out of the bubble.

I could have also directed the fleet better as we had basically no targets for quite a long period of time as our Ospreys died. Fortunately, a Megathron and Nemesis decide to suicide into our fleet. I warp off (forgetting to fleet warp us again) but this does work out as it lets us pick off another Nemesis.

This does demonstrate something I need to work on: I choose to align out and warp off when we start reload and then take too long turning back around to pick off stuff. However, they do take this time to all warp off.

They do leave a Hurricane behind, but I warp to it too soon though: I should have called for tackle first before warping the fleet in. I also am unclear in my commands, which splits our fleet a bit, but is fortunately not a problem in this case.

While the enemy is reshipping, we do manage to get enough remote shield boosters to supply a second scythe logi, which is nice.

When the enemy fleet lands again. I warp the fleet (correctly) to within 30km of the gate and start killing off their Caracals. We manage to pick off two Caracals (and also kill a Gnosis) and only lose a single (admittedly, not valuable Osprey). I tell our boosher to boosh us, but I think in this case I should have either called the boosh to spool earlier (so that we could get out sooner into reload) or just warped away. I think the second option would have been better (to save us a cooldown) since nothing had us tackled.

We try for a Raven, but it easily gets away (I didn't actually check if we still had tackle on grid). Eventually I warp us off to a tac and then order people to reload and turn their hardeners off to get cap back.

I think at this point, I should have kept better track of how much of our fleet we had left as I started to make some really poor trades at this point in time.

We warp back (and I forget to fleet warp again). I get people to go onto the Hurricane and either forgot about T2 range or didn't fully get that it got out of range because it was jammed, but I should have switched targets much sooner as it quickly burned off.

I take too long to notice that Ferox that gets really close to us, but we fortunately kill it (but not before losing our Stork). I try to pick up a few more kills but fail to get any. I also think I stayed on grid too long as I didn't realize how low on ammo people were since I was being jammed for a good chunk of the time. I should have been trying to mentally tally how much ammo people would have left.

At this point in time, Ged accomplished this: https://zkillboard.com/kill/78288862/

I noticed that a Sabre was out of position and warp the fleet in and kill it. However, I think we should have then just left once we took it out as we didn't accomplish any thing else. I also failed to fleet warp us, causing us to lose a few more Caracals.

I attempt to warp back to save a Caracal (but take slightly too long) and in the process, lose a few more Caracals. In hindsight, I think the fleet was well past the time where we could keep engaging and I probably should have tried to extract. After this, the other fleet decided they largely had enough and left.

Extraction wasn't great. People wanted to whelp and the other fleet wasn't super interested in another engagements, so we just mildly antagonized them and fed one-by-one.
Video

Extended Fleet Skirmish

Roam members (22)
Spoiler
Able Achasse - Caracal
Aggie2019 - Osprey
Amoni Panala - Osprey
Auric Fulcrum - Osprey
Ayeth - Sabre
Bran Tokila
Dexyr Sulvara - Caracal
Edhin Delphiki - Caracal
Flint Hita - Caracal
Ged Sinak - Stork, Stabber, Retribution
Ithugor Wells - Caracal
Larouche VonWolfen - Caracal
Leon Zhost - Caracal
Maddice Russier - Caracal
Mike North - Caracal
Private Martin - Caracal
Rogue Ozran - Osprey
Space Warfare Development - Stiletto
Ssenir Shouna - Caracal, Maller
William Lyon Mackenzie - Caracal, Scythe
Xyrin Bacard - Scythe
jammer Atruin - Caracal
Kills and Losses
Spoiler
(03:00:00) D87E-A
Jaguar +47.48m
Sabre +110.44m
Osprey -9.84m
Caracal -29.82m
Sabre -106.91m
Megathron +236.93m
Osprey -20.66m
Nemesis +69.33m
Osprey -18.97m
Capsule -0.01m
Caracal +30.5m
Caracal +30.49m
Osprey -19.49m
Capsule -0.01m
Stork -138.36m
Ferox +97.02m
Stiletto -43.81m
Capsule -6.99m
Caracal -26.69m
Caracal -20.45m
Caracal -21.97m
Capsule -0.01m
Capsule -0.01m
Capsule -0.01m
Sabre +117.78m
Capsule -0.01m
Caracal -31.8m
Caracal -14.61m
Caracal -31.28m
Capsule -0.01m
Sabre -104.12m
Caracal -33.47m
Capsule -0.01m
Caracal -19.34m
Caracal -20.5m
Caracal -27.62m

(03:45:08) D87E-A
Caracal -25.23m
Stabber -47.12m
Capsule -0.01m

(03:54:37) K-B2D3, VXO-OM
Caracal -20.93m
Capsule -0.01m
Scythe -19.43m
Capsule -0.01m
Scythe -17.13m

(04:08:01) K-B2D3, D87E-A
Maller -38.62m
Capsule -0.01m
Retribution -43.91m
Capsule -0.01m
Stats
ISK Destroyed: 739,974,249.62
ISK Lost: 959,209,699.35
ISK Delta: -219,235,449.73
Efficiency: 43.549%

Overall evaluation
  • It was a very good learning experience
    Enemy was fun to fight, would do so again
    Reliably broadcasted targets when I selected them
    Hopefully this AAR has more useful analysis.
    Fleet warp the fleet
    I did a poor job using my tackle (and possibly had too little to begin with). I never called for our sabre, nor directed it to sit somewhere safe until needed. A few things we potentially could have killed got away because of this. I also didn't keep track of how much tackle we had left (if any) and things almost assuredly got away because of that.
    Need to time my warp-offs/warp-back-ins better to spend less time in the enemies range while reloading while also minimizing time outside of our range while reloading.
    Need to keep better track of logi position and state when ordering movement in order to not leave them stuck behind. Probably also need the logi to tell me what's happening with them more so I can better track what is happening to them.
    When to boosh is quite difficult and I don't think I used it correctly in that fight at all.
    Need to get a better sense of how long until reload when being jammed as FC.
    Need to better keep track of fleets members and so total available DPS so I know that we don't have enough DPS to disengage.
    Following the maxim of "shoot something" I think I spent too long shooting the Hurricane or far away battleships. I think it would be better if I had re-positioned to get something easier to kill instead.
Budda Sereda
Title: Manager (Fittings), Mentor, Lieutenant, Graduate, Management

Re: [AAR] BLAP Caracals

Post by Budda Sereda »

Sounds like it was a great fun, congrats!

Regarding AAR:
I'd recommend to add into description the composition of your and opponent's fllet: amount of logins, type and number of dps ships, CDs, dictors, ceptors, ewars...
And if you have another engagement with another fleet - how much of your fleet left: it helps reader to understand the situation.

Regarding the fleet. You've made many observations yourself. To me the most important is not to whelp in the end . From one side it's not a big deal, from another you better bring folks home in ships.

Boosting fleet off grid is ok and depends on the situation, but better to warp off. But don't warp too far, have ceptors burn a tactical, and warp to them.
To do this safely- focus fire on enemy tackles first: Caracas are great doing that, even against AFs with logies. Though, in this case, you need to make a call and probably kill logies first.

Also, for arranged fights, do a home work, fly to the arena and make a set of tactical BMs around gates, maybe 1-2 planets. Make a habit creating BMs on gates when you travel.
If you are jammed, you need to pass calling primary to 2IC. And yes, you better designate 2IC before you undock.
And even if you are jammed you can shoot whatever jams you: ships, drones... this will consume your missiles.
Another thing is to ask fleet to type in fleet chat when they hit the reload, or, depending on the fleet size, tell this in comms.

Also, you have to use shortcuts to broadcast targets (x by default), or ask somebody to do this for you. But better learn doing this.

Hope this helps
Budda Sereda
Title: Manager (Fittings), Mentor, Lieutenant, Graduate, Management

Post by Budda Sereda »

Comments about being jammed I should probably have posted to another aar. Lol
Maddice Russier

Post by Maddice Russier »

This was my first time fighting out in null. I came out of it with a new appreciation of what goes into FC'ing, as there was a LOT going on.
Private Martin

Post by Private Martin »

It was a fun fleet. A couple things from the perspective of flying anchor. I can understand why you wouldn't want to do it yourself to alleviate some of the mental work load. On the other hand I sometimes felt that I had multiple conflicting priorities. There were a few times where I was torn between keeping our primary in range, keeping the rest of their fleet away, staying out of bubbles, and keeping us aligned to tacticals. If I fly anchor next time I'll try to do a better job communicating with you to figure out what kind of order I should keep these priorities in.
Ithugor Wells

Post by Ithugor Wells »

Hmm, apparently I need to check these forums more often. Thank you all for the feedback.