Satoshi Tomeii - Merlin
Space Warfare Development - Nemesis
StoopKid Hakaari - Merlin
Valeria Rammstein - Merlin
Zako Maken - Merlin
jammer Atruin - Merlin
manda doomsslayer - Merlin
Summary

After departing from HSC, we burned straight for LSC so I could show everyone where they might get in on daily fights as well as reship from the market. Our roam began almost an hour after we undocked from HSC despite my intention to cut down on the long waiting around that tends to happen during form-ups. It started off well enough with nothing terribly unusual, but then we started seeing one ship, two ships, red ships, blue ships.... Oh wait, this isn't a Dr. Seuss book. There was a rather large kitchen sink fleet of T2 frigates, destroyers, and generic cruisers intersecting our route. I ordered the fleet to attack one of the ships that appeared to be by itself only to realize it was bait. I ordered the fleet to keep moving and so we did. As we cleared the kitchen sink fleet, we spotted a flashy Gila. I should have known it was either bait or too tanky to take down quickly, but I wanted to give the fleet content. The kitchen sink fleet caught up with us and started to scram/web/neut us out. I ordered the fleet to scatter. We reshipped in Archavoinet and went back out. Scout managed to tackle a Venture (which I didn't think was possible for T1 frigates since they have a base warp core strength of +2, but Ievos pulled it off with his condor). We kept passing by an Osprey Navy Issue, but I've learned the hard way that frigates should not try to take those on because the frigates will have a bad time every time. I had hoped we might find the confessor that Ievos had called out on long dscan, but instead we went for an Omen. Turns out the Omen was bait and a Hel dropped on us (I heard Heel and thought Helios). Most of the fleet got out, but a few lost their ships in the process. After that I decided it was time to set course for HSC and call it a night.

Kills and Losses

These losses were fairly minor, but it's worth pointing out that they happened before the fleet started.
Spoiler
(00:19:19) Oulley
Capsule -1.5m
Gallente Shuttle -0.01m

(00:39:38) Eha
Executioner -10.33m
Capsule -0.01m
(01:34:40) Aubenall
Venture +0.29m

(02:13:21) Vlillirier
Merlin -8.96m
Merlin -6.99m
Merlin -7.07m
Merlin -15.99m
Merlin -6.97m
Merlin -6.98m
Merlin -11.17m
Merlin -6.48m
Merlin -7m

(03:16:47) Aldranette
Venture +0.39m

(03:50:16) Pynekastoh
Condor -3.83m
Merlin -6.94m
Merlin -9.34m

The following kill was not actually a part of our fleet and raised our stats to a degree that our ISK Destroyed, Lost, Delta, and Efficiency are not accurate. Our numbers were closer to about 1m destroyed meaning that we were -98.56m in ISK delta at an efficiency rate I won't bother to calculate.
Spoiler
(04:34:49) Evaulon
Imperial Navy Slicer +21.93m
Stats
ISK Destroyed: 22,605,224.03
ISK Lost: 109,558,667.81
ISK Delta: -86,953,443.78
Efficiency: 17.104%

Overall evaluation
  • (Positive stuff) Despite anxieties that no one would show up, plenty of people did and it made my heart grow three times larger (yes, that was an out of season Grinch Stole Christmas reference). Despite having quite a few new people, the fleet maneuvered as though we had been flying together for some time. I was so impressed with our newbies who quickly adapted to the way I was running the fleet. Our scout was really on his game (thank you, Ievos). I did my best not to be overcautious, not to say "no" to everything I thought might be too big for our fleet to take on. When the enemies tried to shame-bait us for running away, our fleet simply put "gf" in local and left it at that. I couldn't be more proud of such "rising above" behavior. Another thing I really liked, our newbies didn't just give up when they lost their ships. Losing a ship can be demoralizing, especially if you're accustomed to playing other MMORPGs where the thing you see the most is a representation of you in the world (whereas in EVE we are not our ships, we are the pilots).

(Negative stuff) I fell for too much bait and when I finally found a target that wasn't bait, we were still trying to outrun my last bad call of attacking a bait ship. I probably shouldn't have left half the fleet in Vlillier while the other half reshipped. I just didn't want to drag the whole fleet back the way we came (as it happens, we ended up going back and forth on a few gates because I mixed up destinations and waypoints).
She/her
Killboard
Image Image Image ImageImage Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Esca Sinak
Title: Orientation officer, SRP officer, Solitude comms officer, student advocate, events staff, diplomat

Re: [AAR] BLAP Merlins Venture Forth 3 August 2019

Post by Esca Sinak »

Congratulations on your first fleet Amoni! This was super meticulously run :)
Ievos

Post by Ievos »

Thanks for the fleet! It was enjoyable, and educational. It was nice to be able to continue working on my scouting/tackling skills.

For that Venture, they didn't have any additional stab's and I had both long and short point, giving me (3) strength to tackle (https://zkillboard.com/kill/78183834/). They should have been able to clear out if aligned and gone, as I believe I landed a tad outside short point range, even with overheat, but I go them before either they could, or they were just afk/bot farming and didn't bother trying.

My apologies on the unclear call out on the Hel (will correct my pronunciation in the future, as I was pronouncing it more like Hél).

Good time all around though; glad to have joined. Would happily fly with you, or scout for you, again!

-Ievos
"Eye-E-vose"
Budda Sereda
Title: Manager (Fittings), Mentor, Lieutenant, Graduate, Management

Post by Budda Sereda »

Congrats for fleet and keep flying
But, you had to improve writing AARs: why you could not at least kill that Gila?
What can you to better? And I'd insist you have to take the bait, just have the plan how.
Amoni Panala

Post by Amoni Panala »

Budda Sereda wrote: But, you had to improve writing AARs: why you could not at least kill that Gila?
Thanks for the feedback. Let me clarify, the Gila (as far as I could tell) was not bait. There was a crow or some other T2 frigate that was bait which we took earlier and then had to flee because what followed was too much for us. We didn't blap the Gila because the group we had fled from caught up to us before we could finish it off. The one thing I might have done to make sure the Gila went down was to tell the fleet to focus on the Gila and ignore the group that was landing on us. Had we done that, we might have gotten the Gila, but I didn't want to whelp the fleet that early on and called for scatter rather than trying to take out the Gila. Looking back, I can see that it didn't matter. Almost half the fleet got wiped out trying to scatter so we might as well have tried to take out the Gila in the process.
Budda Sereda wrote:What can you to better? And I'd insist you have to take the bait, just have the plan how.
Oh I'll take bait. One of the beautiful things about Merlins is they're cheap. That's kinda the point of the Uniblobs, they're cheap frigate fleets that are much more forgiving in terms of ISK lost if the entire fleet gets blown to pieces. The issue is that if what follows is too much for the fleet to handle, it seems essential to me to get the fleet moving. Taking the bait can also mean getting even better fights because you end up pulling something off that wouldn't have happened if you ran, such as being able to take out two or three ships before bouncing (happened a couple times when I was in a fleet).

Thanks for these questions. I'll do my best to try to answer questions like these pre-emptively in my next AAR.
She/her
Killboard
Image Image Image ImageImage Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image