ISK Destroyed: 255,893,828.34
ISK Lost: 184,931,869.75
ISK Delta: 70,961,958.59
Efficiency: 58.049%

Overall evaluation
  • (Positive stuff)
    I ran an ISK-positive roam.
    It was fun.
    I've definitely improved over my previous attempts at FCing.
    (Negative stuff)
    I might have gone too slow.
    Still need to work on continuing to say stuff in local.
    OpSec might also need to be worked on.
My idea for this fleet was to be a mix between a regular fleet and a small gang operation. If we had more people, I would have divided the fleet into two groups, so that I could occasionally have the 2IC split some of the fleet off to take down targets of opportunity which weren't directly on our route. We didn't have enough for me to be comfortable doing that, so I slowed down a bit and had the two main scouts and other detached elements such as Auric look around for targets of opportunity beyond the main route.

During the initial travel up from Amygnon to Eugales, someone from the Villore Accords asked in the Class chat channel if the fleet was open to non-Uni participants. I politely told him that it was a Uni fleet and did not make any further comments. Soon after, he began following us in a Caracal. I was fairly nervous about this because I don't particularly like the odds of small ships against RLML. After the fleet reached Eugales, he asked again in the chat channel if he could fight us, so I offered to meet him at a plex in Moclimaud. He attempted to kite us. He was almost successful, but Dexyr managed to scram him and we closed the distance. Dexyr went down soon after, but we already had secondary scrams (I had scram/web on him, I wasn't the only one) and he was able to reship in-system. First kill of the roam.

Most of the route ended up being fairly uneventful after that point. We found some targets such as two meetings with the same Slicer pilot, two with the same Thrasher pilot (another Villore Accords member), and an Arbitrator (actually the first time I've ever seen someone undock a T1 EWAR cruiser).

At one point, we had a few flashy ships such as a Cynabal trying to bait us into an unwinnable engagement. I decided not to go for it.

In our second stop in Villirier, we found a Gnosis from The Initiative on the sun right as I was about to take us home. We took it down. Right as it went down, a group from RvB arrived. I didn't like the odds so I ordered a scatter. We ended up fighting them at a plex. I made a couple of mistakes in that engagement. First, I didn't properly reconvene us before heading over. Then, I took a bit long to call targets. I was primaried and went down pretty early, but I forgot to link that one in chat. Ssenir Shouna, despite being even less experienced than me, did a good job in his role as 2IC, taking over from this point until he went down and 3IC Amoni Panala ordered a scatter and took the survivors for a few jumps before ordering them to make best speed home (I already ordered the people flying capsules to go home through their preferred method).

Special thanks to Lyn Coate, who volunteered for his first time scouting.

My lossmail, which I forgot to put up in chat. https://zkillboard.com/kill/77992649/
9th CCI medalist

Ssenir Shouna

Re: AAR: 07/23/2019 Kitchen Sink Destroyers

Post by Ssenir Shouna »

Definitely one of the more enjoyable fleets I've been on so far!

I think for me at least, it really showed the value of having a doctrine. After you went down in the last battle and I took over as the 2IC, I had a pretty difficult time with target selection since everyone was so spread out on the battlefield and I didn't know what people had (and did not have) within range.

That's definitely not a criticism of you or the fleet (having a set doctrine kinda defeats the purpose of a running kitchen sink fleet, after all); it's just something I noticed during my personal reflection on the fleet.
Dexyr Sulvara

Re: AAR: 07/23/2019 Kitchen Sink Destroyers

Post by Dexyr Sulvara »

Thanks for the fleet it was great fun!

The main mistakes, as you've already said, were ones you immediately spotted. This is great as they are easily spotted & avoided in the future.
Ssenir makes a great point, kitchen sink was definitely the biggest weakness in the last fight, but I enjoyed that you still took these fights & weren't averse to the engagements.

My only other thoughts are minor points but are in relation to scouting.
I found the fleet was a bit messy. A lot of the systems we +1'd into there would be 3/4 of us in local at a time, which defeats a key element of scouting - concealing our numbers.
Drawing on plenty of past experience, having the 2 scouts works very well as is. A lot of the time we seemed to have certain main DD members scouting (that didn't actually want to tackle) which (I don't know about Lyn) confused me in my role - I wasn't sure if I should +1/be in system with scouting DD & wait to tackle/stay with fleet.
The more people calling targets (for you to decide to call tackle or not) & the more spread out people are, the more confusion & loss of fleet cohesion you have. This works in a small gang scenario but with 16 people I think it hindered us.

I only understand now - where you said " a mix between a regular fleet and a small gang operation." in your AAR) - that you were trying to take a small gang/fleet hybrid approach. Maybe I missed when you said it on comms but if you want to try the hybrid fleet/small-gang approach in the future I'd recommend making it known clearly at the start of fleet. Which if others (like myself) didn't realise you were taking this approach, knowing this would have explained why some DD were scouting & at one stage ignoring your commands to jump to try kill stuff on a gate.

Overall a solid fleet, looking forward to the next one!