AAR: Arranged fight with The Occupation.

Gergoran Moussou

AAR: Arranged fight with The Occupation.

Post by Gergoran Moussou »

Roam members (9)
Spoiler
Dexyr Sulvara - Tormentor
Edwin Clough - Crucifier
Ergan Eto - Tormentor
Gergoran Moussou - Tormentor
Gramad Aideron - Tormentor
Ky Hanomaa - Tormentor
Lightsong the Bold - Tormentor
Marn Vermuldir
manda doomsslayer - Tormentor
Kills and Losses

(00:33:39) Ansalle
Tormentor -2.81m
Rifter +10.45m
Tormentor -2.2m
Rifter +7.67m
Tormentor -2.22m
Rifter +11.78m
Tormentor -2.1m
Tristan +8.56m

(01:11:32) Ansalle
Tormentor -2.25m
Tormentor -2.28m
Rifter +6.55m
Tormentor -1.97m
Tormentor -3.41m
Tormentor -2.09m
Tormentor -2.08m

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 45,003,364.29
ISK Lost: 23,415,186.85
ISK Delta: 21,588,177.44
Efficiency: 65.777%

Overall evaluation
  • (Positive stuff)
    Fought well. Everyone stuck to the terms that we agreed to, despite some speculation that "T1 frigates" wasn't a clear enough term for them since they'd gotten some kills earlier today in navy ships like a Firetail. They came in T1 ships (like the Caracal 4v4 last week, they had T2 modules, but I was expecting that and I have no problem with it, especially since we had greater numbers).
    Miktetic, my point of contact for The Occupation, was polite and friendly.
    E-Uni Diplomacy was helpful in setting this up.
    Everyone performed well. Even though everyone had been on a few fleets already, it was a new doctrine for most of us since most of us are based out of HSC and this was one of LSC's doctrines. I hadn't actually flown this doctrine (or any non-brawl PVP fit besides BLAP Caracals to any significant degree), but the Tormentor was the first frigate that I ever flew, my first-ever killmail (out at NSC) was flying impromptu tackle with some larger ships with one, and I've never had any bad experiences with it.
    We had spectators. Marn was in-fleet and on-grid (I had him come out in a shuttle so that the adversaries would know that he was not participating). We had some others as well.
    (Negative stuff)
    I wasn't able to get it set up in time to get 96 hours' notice because diplomatic channels made it take a while to set up, and therefore was not able to do anything with Fleet Support Program. I can fit eight of the (packaged stuff) into my Bestower, but when I noticed that a low-security-status Catalyst was going through the same gates as me on the way back from Jita with a bit over the recommended EHP-ISK ratio of ships, modules, and charges, I got very nervous.
After the Caracal 4v4 last week, I asked Guiliano if he could set up a frigate fight for today USTZ evening (when they're usually on) because I don't work Tuesdays and I was able to be on all day to prepare. The diplomatic channels went through and he told me that he'd get it set up so that they'd contact me for more discussion. We decided that 0000Z would be a good time to shoot for (2200 being the earliest that I thought might work), agreed on numbers (they let us have more people than their usual 3-6 people online). This seemed like a fair balance to them having more expensive fittings when we've run the same ships and them having significantly more experience with this sort of thing (and presumably skillpoints).

I decided not to go with the frigates on-contract in Amygnon because the BLAP doctrines are best with large fleets that have logi and I wasn't sure if we'd have anyone who could be logi. Furthermore, both the Merlins doctrine and its armor equivalent, Golden Horde, are slow (by frigate standards), short-ranged ships, so if they had anything kitey (such as the Tristan), we would have no chance of winning. Instead, since Amarr ships are generally my preferred and LSC's frigate doctrine seems to make up for both of those disadvantages (although I wouldn't want to be within 500m of an antimatter blaster-fit Merlin or Punisher in one of those, I can pretty easily stay out of that range), I took this one and since HSC doesn't stock them, I made sure that they were available and I handed them out at a discount to everyone who needed one.

We had two rounds. First one had two more people, Lightsong and Edwin. We won that round. After Edwin left, someone said that his EWAR might have been essential to our victory. Looking at how round two turned out, I don't think this was incorrect. Lightsong moved down to the Incursions Mumble channel because of something that they were doing (I think I got a notification for a class or something).

Initial load of ammo was Standard, so that we wouldn't be at a disadvantage at initial contact (and we could swap to Radio or Multifrequency instantly if it worked better), but they brought out Rifters, brawly ships, so I decided to keep 10km as the engage distance and avoid autocannon fire. It looked like the Tristan would get away at first, but one of us got tackle.

Second round, they MWD-ed to us as we were MWD-ing to them, so we ended up on top of each other and lost the range advantage.

I enjoyed this learning experience. I asked Dexyr to be 2IC because he's the HSC defense officer and this is a war operation. He handled that well and provided some useful advice since I'm new to the whole FC thing.

Biggest mistake that I made in the first round was that when the enemies who I was anchoring on went down, it took me a while to remember that I had to keep at range on someone else. Biggest in the second was ordering two cycles of MWD when I saw how far they were after the warp-in. They did a similar approach and we ended up on top of each other, which was not where I wanted to be when facing brawl-fit ships.

I know that a few people have had negative experiences with these guys, but especially having spoken to them, I like them. They're not trying to ruin other people's enjoyment of the game like P I R A T or CODE. They're just people who think it's fun to make spaceships explode.

Well, now I've organized two events at HSC in addition to my participation in several. That means that for CCI, I've done enough at HSC (I should probably get a forum post up to document that). So while I'm going to keep using HSC as my area to do mining/industry stuff, I'll be spending more time elsewhere. In the near future, that will mostly be LSC and Solitude (LSC is still close enough that I'll be around).
Last edited by Gergoran Moussou on 2019.07.04 05:54, edited 1 time in total.
9th CCI medalist

Ergan Eto

Re: AAR: Arranged fight with The Occupation.

Post by Ergan Eto »

Good job FC'ing this fleet fight. I agree with your assessment that EWAR was important to the first fight and not having it hurt us in the second fight. FWIW, I thought I didn't do a good job anchoring in the second fight which I need to do better at in the future.

Thank you for putting this together. It made warfare an enjoyable thing instead of being a complete drag. I look forward to participating in similar engagements in the future and and even FC'ing too.

It was fun AND a learning experience for me as I expect it was for everyone else in the fleet.

o7
Budda Sereda
Title: Manager (Fittings), Mentor, Lieutenant, Graduate, Management

Re: AAR: Arranged fight with The Occupation.

Post by Budda Sereda »

Typical cruicifier has 2 TDs and can reduce applications for 2 ships for 30%-ish percents. Even though each thing matters I don't think it was crucial to the overall success.

What might have a much bigger impact is that you opponent switched prop mods from AB to MWD (as much as we can judge based on a single kill from the 2nd round). By being able to MWD to a primary they were able to apply not from falloff, but from optimal which pretty much doubles the DPS.