Title: Sophomore

[AAR] 2v2 Eve Invasion Tourney - Eve North

Post by Junmei Hucel-Ge »

2nd member of team EveUni Alumnus Artavian Smythe

Ship fits: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d ... sp=sharing

Format 2 v 2 with one frigate and cruiser per team

We chose to go gallente, Ishkur and Ishtar
:o

The ishtar was an armor fit frigate with a repper with decent dps and 2 rounds of drones and web / scram

The Ishkur was the only ship in the tourney with no guns. Instead I had a decent armor and shield setup with hardeners, web scram and 4 cap reducers. Yes. 4.
And I I had a full flight of light, heavy and med drones (5 each)
We were up against a hawk and deimos (see fits above). Neither of these have cap boosters...

You get like 5 minutes to setup and set your overview and drones. You can load ammo but not turn on or overheat any modules or activate anything until the countdown. You warp in up to 30km from the beacon and sit unmoving till the countdown. No deploy activation or heating allowed. As this was our fiest arena these 5 minutes were literally panic. 2 minutes of it were simply finding the ships we wanted and getting undocked for setup. For context they preload dozens of each kind of fitted ship. The search bar is your friend. THERE IS NO DISPLAY THAT SHIOWS THE NAMES OF THE SHIPS! You don't know what ships they have until they are on the field with you.

You also are not using your own character. They give you a pre specced character that can fly any ship.

Here's the thing though. Just setting up your overview, and HUD can be overwhelming : you have no idea what the last person to sit down had setup. In my second match the targets indicators were located behind the overview - more on that later.

So you warp in at the beacon or up to 30km out.

54321 action.

Our strategy was as follows: I would orbit the beacon at 20 in the cruiser, Artavian would orbit me on mwd at 1000 to give a spiral angular velocity and to make them bring the flight to us. Art threw out light drones and as soon as they were in range loaded and. Shot with ammo that was appropriate for the range. He concentrated on taking out their drones, since they only had a total of 3 flights. Drones with his drones and guns went down in 2 cycles. As soon as the frigate came in range of my cap reducers I applied them in staggered cycle and art switched to the frigate. I deployed my light drones and we took the frigate out swiftly as he was webbed, scrammed and capped out. We then switched to the cruiser. I switched to orbitting him at 5000 (optimal range on the cap reducers) from orbitting the beacon so he couldn't escape our range. I abandoned the light drones and deployed the praetor and we double web scrammed him. Once in range I overheated the cap reducers we cap drained and just beat him down. Artavian continues to mwd orbit me giving him good angular velocity and again took out the rest of the drones. Once the cruiser capped out he also went down fast. We ended with both ships up and they lost both well within the time limit. We both had probably 2/3 armor at the end. Other than abandoned drones we only lost some light ones.

I will AAR our second match separately.

Lessons learned - have a checklist and plan for setup. You have no time and there is pressure to get on the field and missing one critical thing can be the difference between a win and lose. We are used to taking our time setting up and optimizing ships and preloaded overviews and HUD settings. You won't have time to make it perfect. Make sure it is at least functional.

With this kind of battle being patient and not tossing drones out immediately since they are individually vulnerable and the only guns that fit has is a good idea.

Orbittng a cap reducers ship rather than going to the enemy and pulling them in to the range is a good strategy in this case.

Being lucky can sometimes be better than being skilled.

Picking the "weird" combination of ships rather than the standard popular ones can be a good choice