[AAR] Golden Horde Punishers 2019.2.26 @19:00

B'aldrick Aivoras
Title: Graduate

Post by B'aldrick Aivoras »

We took out a Golden Horde Fleet last night. We managed to peak at 16 members: 3 Logi Inquisitors, a scout Atron and the rest in DPS. Glen joined us along the way in a Tristan.

There were only a couple of pilots who were new to fleets (<3) so I went through a newbro speach and linked the Fleet video for them to peruse at their leisure. Form-up was relatively quick as we undocked 5 mins behind schedule. The plan head to Okkamon then Kinnaka (through High). After that head to Tama to try and get a fight and home.

Roam members (16)
Spoiler
Alf Saissore - Punisher
Atadar Yassavi - Punisher
Auric Fulcrum - Atron, Merlin
B'aldrick Aivoras - Punisher
Durnik Risalo - Punisher
Glen Burney - Thrasher, Tristan
Henlex Dorne - Punisher
Jonathan Wolf - Ashimmu, Inquisitor
Kiuna McGullygosh - Punisher
Pink Kondur - Inquisitor
RfBurn Machiavelli - Punisher
Segdae Aldurald - Punisher
Shieva Ann - Punisher
Yto Itinen - Punisher
Zoltan Irvam - Inquisitor
manda doomsslayer
Kills and Losses

We got early intel on a VNI in Ouelletta but it left system before we could get on the gate in Juveitte. Black Rise was quite quiet but Auric, Alf and Glen scouted us through quickly to Okkamon where a flashy rifter was blobbed in a Plex.

I tried to mix fleet warps and self-piloting to allow people to learn to fly independently. This did cause some confusion in comms for 1 or 2 as we were moving quickly. The differing warp speeds were obvious without fleet warps so I tried to use fleet warps more as a result. If you do get behind in a fleet and you hear the scout / fleet going for a target - please type in Fleet as talking at this point should be about fleet intel and orders only (AKA Combat Comms)

(20:03:19) Okkamon
Rifter +9.46m
Capsule +0.01m

We continued on our original course with Alf as a roaming scout checking side pockets. Auric found a Worm that turned out to be outside a plex. The warp distances meant he would land at the plex alonw. Alf and a vanguard were sent to warp to the plex so that Auric could have immediate back up. Once point was established, the rest of the fleet were jumped in to assist. The delaying ploy worked as I'd hoped so that scram and web were also applied as the feet landed and the worm died to our blaster love. It was really satisfying that the plan worked. Punishers are slow so I kept the vanguard. Logi were awesome and kept up our vanguard and scout.

(20:11:14) Elunala
Worm +96.09m

We all had suspect timers so I decided to backtrack. Again a solitary frigate was found in Okk as Asakai didn't want to engage us. I had been worried by upshipping so didn't want to hang around too long. This time our scout melted before reps landed but we revenged him.

(20:18:51) Okkamon
Atron -4.59m
Incursus +7.96m
Capsule +0.01m

As our scout reshipped, our secondary scouts headed towards Tama (off our yellow brick road). Tama was full of flashies. A gang was at a small. Looking at the kills, I suspect that there were 2 gangs fighting and we 3rd partied.

FC landed next to an Ishkur, called at primary and tried to sort out my broadcasts. As pointed out below, I went a bit quiet here on comms whilst trying to sort things out. The Ishkur managed to move out of point range so I switched dps to a punisher. Despite my poor target calling, we took down the new primary, another punisher and the Ishkur that Auric had managed to keep point on when he rejoined. We lost Glen in his Tristan though. Some other frigates on grid disengaged including a retribution. Next time, I need to switch overviews and order by range.

(20:31:27) Tama
Tristan -6.97m
Punisher +8.33m
Punisher +4.83m
Ishkur +40.41m
Capsule +0.01m

Loot was dropped in station and a short bio taken. A couple dropped fleet at this point.
We tried to bait a fight inside a small but there were no takers so we headed back towards Kinnaka.

A kestrel fell victim to us. The fit was strange. I can only think he had forgotten to fit a scram or was looting wrecks and killing rats. He lost a few more kestrels yesterday too but at least they had a scram.

(20:59:31) Kedama
Kestrel +15.5m
Capsule +0.01m

We traded ships in Hikkoken and Nennamaila as our scout died trying to get a VFI for us.

(21:08:31) Hikkoken, Nennamaila
Merlin +10.7m
Atron -5.66m

Now on to a third ship, Auric valiantly tried to get a flashy Damavik. He was holding initially until the distingrator had spooled up to full power. The Damavik warped off before we could land secondary points on him.

(21:29:08) Pavanakka
Merlin -5.61m

We finally made it in to Kinnaka where we found a mixed gang that looked like they wanted to fight. They had a Brutix that would be hull tanked bait that we saw. Together they would murder us as we had lost a few more pilots and were now light on DPS. I set up in a large with the aim of trying to take down the first thing that landed and then gtfo. A Prophecy landed first so it was called primary we didn't scratch it. As they landed, I called scatter too late. The enemy spread point well and has a lot of the remaining fleet locked down. Those that could get out did whilst the rest of us took in the face. I would've gf'd if had hadn't hung around in my pod to see who survived a little too long! :oops:

(21:50:56) Kinakka
Punisher -9.91m
Inquisitor -5.67m
Punisher -6.48m
Punisher -7.08m
Punisher -6.46m
Inquisitor -7.88m
Capsule -0.01m
Capsule - Genolution 'Auroral' 197-variant -0.01m
Capsule -0.71m

I called the fleet over and Auric as 2IC took over to get the remaining people home.

Overall, I enjoyed the fleet and have a lot to ponder and learn about target calling in larger fleet fights before I risk taking out a cruiser doctrines. Both are main and secondary scouts were awesome. Logi - you guys rule! You saved our scout on more than one occasion and kept me up in the Tama fight when I didn't broadcast. :roll:

My own SRP will be in your wallets so no need to use the Uni one for this fleet.

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 182.62M
ISK Lost: 67.74M
ISK Delta: 114.88M
Efficiency: 62.91%

Overall evaluation
  • (Positive stuff) - EUTZ fleet and we undocked. Fleet movements were good. Small fight was had
    (Negative stuff) - sorry if I was a bit hard in comms when we are in combat. Practise target calling and broadcasts whilst flying and keeping awareness is hard. Talk more in fleet combat (see below from Durnik)
Last edited by B'aldrick Aivoras on 2019.02.27 14:10, edited 1 time in total.
Graduate
Assistant Orientation Manager | Senior Personnel Ofiicer
|
FCC Manager
ImageImageImageImageImage
Durnik Risalo

Re: [AAR] Golden Horde Punishers 2019.2.26 @19:00

Post by Durnik Risalo »

This was a fun fleet. I can't think of anything (without rewatching the video) that I think should've been done differently or better. Of course, there is always ways to improve (or do things differently), but I don't think you did anything "wrong" or "bad."

So, sorry, no constructive criticism from me :D

Edit: Actually, I just watched the last fight (last fight only). I noticed that someone (I assume you) broadcast a target without calling a new target by voice. I think FCs (and I try to do this) should definitely broadcast targets, but they also need to prompt a "new target" as primary by voice. Not everyone will notice new broadcasts without a voice prompt (at least I usually don't). Also, I'm somewhat hesitant to say this because it doesn't bother me as much as it seems to others, but you are kind of quiet during the fight. Some of the feedback I got while FC'ing was to "think aloud" so everyone knows what you are thinking and that you are responding to changing situations.
B'aldrick Aivoras

Spoiler
Durnik Risalo wrote:
Edit: Actually, I just watched the last fight (last fight only). I noticed that someone (I assume you) broadcast a target without calling a new target by voice. I think FCs (and I try to do this) should definitely broadcast targets, but they also need to prompt a "new target" as primary by voice. Not everyone will notice new broadcasts without a voice prompt (at least I usually don't). Also, I'm somewhat hesitant to say this because it doesn't bother me as much as it seems to others, but you are kind of quiet during the fight. Some of the feedback I got while FC'ing was to "think aloud" so everyone knows what you are thinking and that you are responding to changing situations.
Thanks Durnik - that was my recollection too as I tried to sort out primaries, broadcasts and pilot the ship. I remember Glen asked for the primary as we landed though. Any decision is better so the Ishkur was called as I landed on him.

I guess it was one of my first multi-ship engagements so alot to review. Next time - sort out overview - enemy ships only sorted by range. Call ship type and name rather than just 'punisher' as there were more than one and talk more. If you have a link to that fight and the whelp in Kinnaka I'd like to watch if possible. I didn't press record on my own software!
Graduate
|
FCC Manager
Segdae Aldurald

Post by Segdae Aldurald »

As one of the people who'd been on 2 pvp fleets prior I'll chime in from that perspective.

First thing... 2 Kill marks added to the punisher, then it being blown to pieces was a great time. Thank you for the fleet.

As you mention, there was a bit of confusion on calling targets. After the initial primary burning away I didn't know which punisher to go after next. Luckly I guessed correctly.

Three things which may be good to touch on in the newbro speach is:
1. Overheating your modules, how and when. This was the first time that I overheated my modules on a fleet. Having learned about it while talking to someone about how I can improve on tackle. Even a "Does everyone know about overheating?" would have helped in those prior fleets.

2. What to do if you get lost. Even a simple "If you get lost, type in the fleet chat 'Where is the fleet?' and someone will send you a system. You can then warp to the FC"

3. Making sure that mumble is push to talk. I got the impression that that was part of the issue with combat comms. I don't know that more could have been done during the fleet to enforce the idea of combat comms.
B'aldrick Aivoras

Thx for the feedback. I’m glad you had fun despite the loss!

You’ve made some excellent points that I’ll take on board.

Overheating is something that I didn’t cover I admit but semi-purposely. In most ( or all) of the NoP fleets I’ve been on it’s not been covered. Time and information overload may be factors. The other issue it’s easy to burn out your modules unless thermodynamics is at least 4 I’ve found so is probably something combat focussed pilots would be aware of. Often keeping up with fleet manoeuvres is difficult enough.

I hope sorting my overview would sort out the target calling and calling out names and ships would help then broadcast afterwards.

I remember thinking the same about PTT but couldn’t work out whether the pilot was just keying up. It became a redundant issue later in the fleet but certainly setting up mumble was something I should’ve covered.

I hope to run another fleet next week so hope you can come along and this time keep those kill marks. I lost mine too :(
Graduate
|
FCC Manager
Segdae Aldurald

Post by Segdae Aldurald »

I actually did burn out my prop when helping to catch that Ishkur. But with the knowledge that we were going to dock up so I'd be able to repair it. And that otherwise I wouldn't catch up. Guns I was careful of. I may still be cannon fodder in PvP, but I'm learning.

I'm happy losing the ship. I'm actually amazed that it lasted as long as it did as it was what I flew on my first PvP fleet which was a NOP fleet. I was expecting it to be pretty fireworks display much earlier.

I may be able to make weekend fleets, but normally I'm working at that time being in the NA timezone. But look forward to flying with you in the future.
Durnik Risalo

Post by Durnik Risalo »

B'aldrick Aivoras wrote: Thanks Durnik - that was my recollection too as I tried to sort out primaries, broadcasts and pilot the ship. I remember Glen asked for the primary as we landed though. Any decision is better so the Ishkur was called as I landed on him.

I guess it was one of my first multi-ship engagements so alot to review. Next time - sort out overview - enemy ships only sorted by range. Call ship type and name rather than just 'punisher' as there were more than one and talk more. If you have a link to that fight and the whelp in Kinnaka I'd like to watch if possible. I didn't press record on my own software!
That is a long fleet, so I'm only linking the two specific fights that I think you requested...
B'aldrick Aivoras

Thanks Durnik that was really useful for me.

In the first fight, it didn’t seem as quiet as I first thought though I called the ‘punisher’ when there were two! It looks like points were spread well and that the broadcasts came through ok. Overall, the fleet did well and filled in my gaps independently gaining us some extra kills.

I did notice your lasers were beam and not grouped. They will have difficulty applying especially at close range with IN standard - a quick switch to multi might have helped apply better.

On the second fight, I broke my RoE a tanky Prophecy was no better for us than a hull tanked Brutix! I fumbled the fleet warp and in my mind had called scatter at the point but obviously didn’t doh!

Once it was obvious many of us were tackled I tried to take down something. I was more quiet here :(

Thanks for videos that I think would be great to link in the FCC slack channel if you’d like to.
Graduate
|
FCC Manager
RfBurn Machiavelli

Post by RfBurn Machiavelli »

As one of the new guys that went out on the fleet roam, I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Looking back I saw a couple of areas I could have improved in. First and foremost, I missed out on getting a shot at the Worm. I went right, when everyone else went left. I found myself looking for the fleet while all the action was taking place, and missed out on the kill. I'll have to pay better attention to the fleet broadcasts and verbal commands going forward. This roam also brought to my attention another area for me to improve in, and that is to bring max DPS to the target in minimum time. I was not spinning up the weapons quickly enough before engaging. With more practice I will be able to streamline my targeting and increased approach speeds in order to bring death and destruction to our targets. It was a good learning experience.
RFburn's Stats
Eve University Events Staff Member

Image Image Image Image Image
B'aldrick Aivoras

Spoiler
RfBurn Machiavelli wrote:As one of the new guys that went out on the fleet roam, I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Looking back I saw a couple of areas I could have improved in. First and foremost, I missed out on getting a shot at the Worm. I went right, when everyone else went left. I found myself looking for the fleet while all the action was taking place, and missed out on the kill. I'll have to pay better attention to the fleet broadcasts and verbal commands going forward. This roam also brought to my attention another area for me to improve in, and that is to bring max DPS to the target in minimum time. I was not spinning up the weapons quickly enough before engaging. With more practice I will be able to streamline my targeting and increased approach speeds in order to bring death and destruction to our targets. It was a good learning experience.
Glad you enjoyed it - practice does certainly improve things for us all so I'll be taking out another Horde next week to hone my skills or lack thereof! o7
Graduate
|
FCC Manager