[QRF] The Ansalle Trap @ 2018.08.15

Ersin Oghuz
Title: Campus Manager (HSC), Caw Caw, Ensign, Teacher, Graduate, Management

[QRF] The Ansalle Trap @ 2018.08.15

Post by Ersin Oghuz »

"Check check, WT Hyperion decloaked at Jufvitte gate in Ansalle, burning back to gate. I tackled him. Jump jump jump and join me at gate!"
"Roger, I am coming asap, hold him there."

Probably that was the communication between 2 Cynabals and OOC Exequror pilots when I was decloking and trying to burn back to gate to escape. Well little they know about our trap that we laid for them.

Roam members (8)
Spoiler
Christoph Patrouette - Typhoon
Erasmus Himura - Hyperion
Ersin Oghuz - Hyperion
Ged Sinak - Maller
Gyrgon - Augoror
Kirsi Isrik
Mike Kingswell - Augoror
lobevaser - Blackbird
So when they lost a Pacifier and a bligny Pod today earlier, a cynabal small gang came back to Amygnon to find more targets to even the battle report probably. But when we saw them we formed the QRF with 2 Augorors, 2 Hyperions, 1 Blackbird, Typhoon and Maller. I jumped to Jufvitte and then warped to Ansalle gate while Mark with Cynabal in Jufvitte and Ryusaki with Cynabal in Ansalle, camping Juf gate.

Well I jumped and then aligned back to gate. He took the bait and engage me directly. I got him tackled (scram and webs) so he could not move back to gate. Rest of the fleet jumped to Jufvitte from Amygnon (where they were holding) and warped to Ansalle gate and jump to Ansalle to help. Well in due time Mark also jumped into Ansalle to help his fellow pilot and an OOC Exequror warped in for repairs. I was holding before our fleet jump in, then our fleet jumped in but second cynabal just warped off when he see that they are no match. We killed both Exequror and then Cynabal and disengaged after Jacob reported 4-5 wartargets in Tar holding.

(Later they undocked Bhaalgorn, 2 Nestors, OOC Falcon, OOC Augoror, Vigilant on top of the only Cynabal left and tried to engage us. We pinged HSC, LSC, and NSC and we got more pilots but with Falcon and 2 Nestors we could not match the numbers so we stand off. )

Kills and Losses

(15:12:37) Ansalle
Exequror +18.06m
Cynabal +290.66m

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 308,726,652.53
ISK Lost: 0
ISK Delta: 308,726,652.53
Efficiency: 100%

Overall evaluation
  • (Positive stuff)
    - Bait tactic executed succesfully.
    - Good turn out with armor ships
    (Negative stuff)
    - We could not tackle the second Cynabal
"In Blasters I Trust"

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Gyrgon
Title: Mentor, Sophomore

Re: [QRF] The Ansalle Trap @ 2018.08.15

Post by Gyrgon »

I took over as FC for a short time in the middle, here is my part:

After we killed both the WT Cynabal and the OOC Exequror, Ersin warped off to a structure in Ansalle to repair the heat damage on his guns. We were still hoping for the 2nd Cynabal to re-engage us and at the same time had still active weapons timer, so I took over as FC from Ersin. We re-approached the gate to Jufvitte and held there, when the 2nd Cynabal warped back to us at range. With no fast (warping) tackle in our small gang, trying to get a warp-in on the Cynabal, that was at first in line with a Celestial, proved ultimately futile. When we got word from one of our wonderful OOC scouts that we had 5 more WTs a few jumps out (even though they were docked up at the time) and the Cynabal unwilling to engage us again, we jumped back into Jufvitte and docked up at Refinery 102. After a few minutes and some unsuccessful attempts of the WT to bump a tethered Ersin in his BS out of tether range in Ansalle, we tried to use Ersin's Hyperion as bait again, when he jumped into the WT at the Ansalle gate in Jufvitte on his way back to us, even warping to the structure at range in order to bait the WT into attacking.

Eventually we docked up everyone when we got word that the WTs previously docked up in Tar had undocked a Bhaalgorn, 2x Nestors and a Vigilant and were moving towards us. We pinged the other communities on slack at this time, trying to put together a fleet composition that could take on this new threat, even accounting for at least one additional OOC Logi (the Exeq pilot from before). I handed back FC to Ersin at this point, who finally decided to stand us down when one of our OOC scouts identified an OOC WT alt joining them in a Falcon.

From my perspective I agree with Ersin's evaluation and would like to add a few points of my own:

Overall evaluation
(Positive stuff)
- Excellent work by various OOC scouts to provide crucial intel to the FCs
- Good fleet discipline / communications
(Negative stuff)
- Too early in the day to get the numbers to escalate in kind
HSC | NSC | (Solitude) || Former Mentor | Former SRP Staffer

Feeling lost or overwhelmed? Request an E-UNI Mentor today!
lobevaser

Post by lobevaser »

I thought for sure I was going to lose my BlackBird.

I jumped into Ansalle and targeted the Cynabal first I had him jammed then the FC called out for me to jam the OOC Exequror. I had to cycle my overview to see him. I got him Jammed and put out the 2 drones I had and let lose light missles. TBH this is the first time that I jammed someone in there face , I am used to Jammimg at over 100KM .

It was nice to get payback on war targets.
Lobevaser - Teacher
Graduate
Gyrgon
Title: Mentor, Sophomore

Post by Gyrgon »

lobevaser wrote:I jumped into Ansalle and targeted the Cynabal first I had him jammed then the FC called out for me to jam the OOC Exequror.
For the future, as ECM you'll always want to go for their support first, not for the main target, unless called for by the FC. Jamming out their Logi / EWAR will let the DD ships in your gang kill the main, shiny target more quickly without having to worry about enemy support interfering. You can put your damage drones on the main target, but especially in a fight like this on a gate or station, where the target has a chance to de-aggress and jump out or dock up, don't jam them and do the de-agressing for them.

I can understand the urge to pile on the main target, but many (support) roles in a small gang like this are counter-intuitive that way. Everyone has their job, but not everyone's job is to put their modules on the main target. I have flown EWAR and Logi many times and with the current system it can be frustrating to not get on the main killmail, but the support roles are what allows the gang to get that killmail in the first place.

I think I should shortly talk about a small point of confusion during the fight that relates to this: target priorities. In an ideal fight, the enemy Logi would have been perma jammed as our ECM's only target. With him jammed (in a small group like this call out jams on comms like "Exeq is jammed" or "lost jam on Exeq") our tackle and DPS could have concentrated on first one and then the other Cynabal. Tackling the Exeq in that situtation is not a priority either. He can bounce out, sure, but I'd rather let a 20 mil T1 cruiser get away and not be tackled than a 300 mil faction Cruiser. While the Exeq is jammed, he is out of the fight. If he is bouncing, he is out of the fight as well. Everyone else spread tackle to the shiny targets first, only tackle the enemy Logi if the other two are locked down (or FC calls for it).

I don't mean to criticize the performance of our group or anyone in particular, all-in-all I think it went rather well and we got one shiny WT and the Exeq without suffering any losses of our own. :) I just wanted to point out a bit of background for newer support pilots to keep in mind for the next fight they are in. Especially ECM can be unexpectedly tricky that way :D Knowing why you're supposed to do one thing but not another helps to make a fleet run more smoothly and frees up some of the FC attention.
HSC | NSC | (Solitude) || Former Mentor | Former SRP Staffer

Feeling lost or overwhelmed? Request an E-UNI Mentor today!