Zeerse Solaris - Inquisitor
armenthus brown - Punisher
ashahara - Merlin
averoth trojan - Tristan
Fleet soundtrack
Spoiler
Narrative of Fleet
Kills and Losses

For my first official FCC fleet I chose to stay with a kitchen sink frigate doctrine that would encourage not only a new FC but also some newer players as well.
We had 4 or so pilots who were new to fleets - Ghad Makanen , Won Trild Trild , Erasmus Himura , Leonard MeadowLion -----> Logi (armour) - thx for joining and I hope you guys had fun and learnt something.
Gyrgon stepped up as a new scout so kudos to him too. Vli was set as first desto for a low sec roam to Black Rise

Whilst the FC did a brief new bro speech - ammo, clones, rigs, insurance, safeties etc. I sent out our scouts to see if they could find something. I was keen on a fast form-up and departure so the Newbro speech was a little truncated.

Unexpectedly (at least for me), there was content on our doorstep in close Null sec. Comms got a bit messy as we cross talked and led eventually to Kora's loss in Ost. Learning point for me was to let the scouts and rest of fleet what the Rules of Engagement would generally be. In this case, plexer, flashies on gates and a suitable equivalent type fleet. Non-flashies on gates would be considered if high value targets. I wanted to avoid gate gun deaths if possible.

Once we had roles and a vanguard established we undocked when Kora K called there were 2 Thrashers in a plex. A rapid undock ensued and the fleet warped to the Ost gate. Kora was backed up by those in neighbouring systems but died nabbing us a solitary thrasher. Early blood but at a cost.

(18:42:56) Ostingele
Caldari Navy Hookbill -26.24m
Thrasher +10.89m

The fleet proceeded whilst Kora reshipped and scouts headed up to Vli. The intent was to loop up through Oicx towards Martoh and then back down towards Akidaki as Dotlan and ZKill showed activity there. Progress was slow initially as we acquainted new pilots to fleet mechanics on the fly - just a note always have a prop mod on small ships please. Hopefully I broadcast where we going and generally practised fleet warps properly (more on that later :lol: )

Scouts found and got tackle on a fight on a plex in Oicx - the fleet warped in, logi saved scouts (good job) and target down as his friends warped out. Unfortunately, someone sent a carrier pigeon to a Dramiel pilot who yolo'd in to us at zero. GF's were exchanged and loot taken to be dropped off in station.

(19:06:38) Oicx
Caldari Navy Hookbill +29.69m
Dramiel +139.35m

We seem to have lost a punisher on the Eha gate - I assume this was due to warping to the wrong desto as we repaired in station - sorry for the loss. Decklin found a Coercer in Martoh that managed to take himn down as the vanguard and rest of fleet extracted revenge.

(19:17:13) Oicx, Martoh
Punisher -6.41m
Condor -13.94m
Coercer +18.94m
Atron +2.3m

We continued towards Akidagi - Grygon found an Arbitrator in a medium and was lost along with Farzol but they managed to survive long enough for the fleet to revenge them. He was Rapid Light Missiles fit with a neut so they did well to survive as long as they did. At some point, there was intel on a largish fleet of cruisers with logi support that we managed to stay away from.

(19:28:48) Aivonen
Slasher -9.18m
Merlin -5.42m
Arbitrator +43.32m
Ibis -0.03m
Capsule -0.01m

One of the two more interesting bits of the fleet was the failed warp in to a Caracal gang of 3 with frigate support. Space Warfare tried to get us a warp in as the Caracals were sitting outside a plex in line with the Enaluri gate. In retrospect jumping in to Akidagi rather than getting to Enaluri through Nennamalia was the wrong choice. We jumped and warped to the Ena gate and then aligned back. Not unexpectedly, the Caracals moved and I warped myself (and not the fleet :oops: ) to the anticipated range. I died to the Caracals who were 60 off me and Decklin to the frigate support. This mistake probably saved more losses as I was able to call scatter as I landed on grid knowing that my plan at failed - not that cunning after all!.

Everyone docked up for a break whilst I reshipped in Ichoriya - pre-stocked in case of this eventuality for the fleet

(19:43:17) Akidagi
Merlin -15.39m
Heron -19.45m

I'm not sure how this loss occurred but I think Glenn was still looking for targets whilst we were on a bio.

(19:55:11) Akidagi
Slasher -2.05m

As we had been going for over an hour, the fleet decided to head back on the long route. Dropping off people in HiSec along the way. Scouts found 2 Moas in large I think that we managed to get at expense of a Tristan - could effort in spreading points to take both down. Using heat on the first really helped more people survive. Often 2 cycles is enough if pulsed without burning your weapons. That was a good catch and not allowing the second Moa to get away was my second interesting bit of the fleet.

We toyed with a flashy ONI on a gate but didnt managed to land a scram before he warped off.

(20:11:51) Pavanakka, Akidagi
Moa +35.73m
Tristan -6.65m
Moa +40.11m
Capsule -0.01m

We dropped off so HSC people in Kinnaka that still had lots in system but nothing in space and they dropped fleet. Memo to self Agoze is better next time :oops:
As we had been out for 2 hours the rest of the fleet, we headed back to Stacmon and called it a night. I'm not sure how we lost General Killah.

(20:39:22) Aldranette
Retribution -56.4m

At the end, we got some credit on the ONI so its included :D

(20:48:07) Akidagi, Oicx
Capsule -0.01m
Osprey Navy Issue +106.78m

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 521,469,608.89
ISK Lost: 180,900,627.43
ISK Delta: 340,568,981.46
Efficiency: 74.244%

Overall evaluation
  • (Positive stuff)
    Fast form up and roles assigned
    Clear comms (on the whole)
    Broadcast destinations generally good

(Things to learn)
    Take more time on a newbro speech in these sort of fleets
    Practice Fleet warps
    Be clearer to scouts and fleet on aims of fleet
Fleet feedback
Last edited by B'aldrick Aivoras on 2018.08.07 15:12, edited 2 times in total.
Graduate
Assistant Orientation Manager | Senior Personnel Ofiicer
|
FCC Manager
ImageImageImageImageImage
Space Warfare Development
Title: Bomber Girl, Teacher

Re: [AAR] NoP - Kitchen Sink Frigates 2018.08.05 18:00 EVE

Post by Space Warfare Development »

The Caracal landing was my horrible call. I apologize to the FC and the fleet for that blunder.
I should have called a waveoff as I had the data but not enough time to calculate the distance from the beacon.

My ship was 200+km from the Novice Outpost beacon on tactical bearing 090.
The Caracals were at unknown distance from the beacon on tactical bearing (130-170?), in-line with the Enaluri gate.
At that distance, even zooming in, I had difficulty parsing the distance between the Caracals and the beacon.
I did not check the distance from my ship to the Caracals.
A bad guy was stationed above the beacon.
A bad guy was stationed below the beacon.

Lessons Learned:
The perfect battleviewpoint is above the beacon. Unfortunately there was a bad guy already there and he didn't move. Not nice.
Use a Google triangle calculator. The angle from my ship as a vertex point to the Caracals and the beacon on my tactical overview was 20deg. That variable hit me the following morning. I can use the estimated angle at my vertex point along with the distances to the Caracals and the beacon, plug all three variables into a Google triangle calculator and solve for the distance between the Caracals and the beacon.
Snap an image of the battlefield. Send it to imgur for a url, and post it in fleet chat for everyone to review and provide guidance.
Give the FC everything. All data, no matter how small, might trigger a thinking neuron that nobody else thought about.
-distance from ownship to target
-distance from ownship to beacon
-best estimate angle at ownship vertex to target and beacon
-calculated distance between target and beacon
-screenshot of the battlefield and target positions
Recommend everyone click their ownship warp to buttons at the same time, after receiving the warp to and distance calls from the FC, in the hope that more than one ship would land at the same time, allowing a greater chance of lock-on survivability (the enemy would have a second to pick a primary from the blob).

All that inside 60 seconds would give the FC and senior fleet members increased situational awareness, critical to the decision-making process, resulting in effective fleet survivability.

Update. Screw Google triangle calculator, it cannot solve the last side.
Instead, this triangle calculator can solve Side-Angle-Side:
https://www.triangle-calculator.com/?wh ... bmit=Solve
C=ownship
B=Beacon
A=Caracals
Shazam.

Why is the tactical overview not sectioned off equally in 10-degree increments? Can I write up a petition to change the tactical overview to display in 10-degree increments?
B'aldrick Aivoras
Title: Graduate

Post by B'aldrick Aivoras »

Spoiler
Space Warfare Development wrote:The Caracal landing was my horrible call. I apologize to the FC and the fleet for that blunder.
I should have called a waveoff as I had the data but not enough time to calculate the distance from the beacon.

My ship was 200+km from the Novice Outpost beacon on tactical bearing 090.
The Caracals were at unknown distance from the beacon on tactical bearing (130-170?), in-line with the Enaluri gate.
At that distance, even zooming in, I had difficulty parsing the distance between the Caracals and the beacon.
I did not check the distance from my ship to the Caracals.
A bad guy was stationed above the beacon.
A bad guy was stationed below the beacon.

Lessons Learned:
The perfect battleviewpoint is above the beacon. Unfortunately there was a bad guy already there and he didn't move. Not nice.
Use a Google triangle calculator. The angle from my ship as a vertex point to the Caracals and the beacon on my tactical overview was 20deg. That variable hit me the following morning. I can use the estimated angle at my vertex point along with the distances to the Caracals and the beacon, plug all three variables into a Google triangle calculator and solve for the distance between the Caracals and the beacon.
Snap an image of the battlefield. Send it to imgur for a url, and post it in fleet chat for everyone to review and provide guidance.
Give the FC everything. All data, no matter how small, might trigger a thinking neuron that nobody else thought about.
-distance from ownship to target
-distance from ownship to beacon
-best estimate angle at ownship vertex to target and beacon
-calculated distance between target and beacon
-screenshot of the battlefield and target positions
Recommend everyone click their ownship warp to buttons at the same time, after receiving the warp to and distance calls from the FC, in the hope that more than one ship would land at the same time, allowing a greater chance of lock-on survivability (the enemy would have a second to pick a primary from the blob).

All that inside 60 seconds would give the FC and senior fleet members increased situational awareness, critical to the decision-making process, resulting in effective fleet survivability.

Update. Screw Google triangle calculator, it cannot solve the last side.
Instead, this triangle calculator can solve Side-Angle-Side:
https://www.triangle-calculator.com/?wh ... bmit=Solve
C=ownship
B=Beacon
A=Caracals
Shazam.

Why is the tactical overview not sectioned off equally in 10-degree increments? Can I write up a petition to change the tactical overview to display in 10-degree increments?

Wow thats some analysis Space! I always think the best thing to do is make a call and that's what happened so fault or apology not needed. Not sure how'd i'd integrate that in to my normal flying but i'll think about its use. Thanks once again - catching them was always a stretch but 'Fortune favours the bold' etc o7
Graduate
Assistant Orientation Manager | Senior Personnel Ofiicer
|
FCC Manager
ImageImageImageImageImage
Drebin 679
Coordinator
Title: Freshman

Post by Drebin 679 »

B'aldrick Aivoras wrote: Drebin 679 - Burst -----> Logi (armour)
Maybe one day I can have enough PvP skills to go for something like a troll armor rep Burst, but I was running solo shield logi. A lot of people reported being shield tanked, so I figured it'd be better to bring a shield logi frig than a second armor one.

Alongside Leonard, we helped Tiberus not lose his ship a couple of times. I also nearly died to those dual Moas, but I remembered my ship's name, and fleed to boost my transversal. Leonard already had me locked up and everything, but his reps ultimately weren't needed.

All in all, nice fleet, thanks FC for detouring on the way back to get my drones. Would definitely fly again!
Former Incursion Coordinator & Wiki Curator
Image Image Image