[NOP] Kitchen Sink Frigates @ 2018-07-21

Ersin Oghuz
Title: Campus Manager (HSC), Caw Caw, Ensign, Teacher, Graduate, Management

[NOP] Kitchen Sink Frigates @ 2018-07-21

Post by Ersin Oghuz »

I was too tired to compose the AAR fully after the fleet so I just used the very good AAR tool prepared by Laser with the help of Alexander (yes this is the first time I used it and I liked it!) and just delayed completion of AAR to today :)

I need to say that I commanded mostly Cruiser sized against Wartargets so that is what I am more comfortable since we know the target and their composition most of the time so there is little surprise factor in it. I FCed some occasional lowsec frigates roams mostly after FC and 2ICs killed by hostile and removed from grid and did some scouting for roams as well but nothing more (So Forever Ensign \o/ :D ). So this was my first scheduled Noobs on Patrol fleet in lowsec so I made some mistakes but I really enjoyed it and I will try to do them more since it really helps to be better FC in time.

So, back to NoP Fleet! Well following to I taught "Fleets 101 : Introduction to Fleets" I formed the fleet as intended. There was no doctrine and it was Kitchen Sink Small Hull Fleet (mixed Frigates and Destroyers). There was a delay before we launch since we need to hand out some ships first and set some fleet roles but we launched after 15 minutes (19:15).

We have variety of DPS ships both frigates and destroyers and we have both armor and shield frigate logistics and no EWAR (well apart from tackle of course) We have 15 in fleet at start and the fleet roles are decided as following;
FC: Ersin
2IC : Nelliver
3IC : Laser
Scouts : Alf, Douglas

Roam members (19)
Spoiler
Alexander Oromov - Malediction
Alf Saissore - Cruor, Tristan, Punisher
Ann'Dra Padecain - Algos
Aoi Ano Sora - Enyo
Christoph Patrouette - Vigil
Douglas Chin - Executioner
Ersin Oghuz - Punisher
Garm Zandor - Merlin, Punisher
Hewlett Meson - Thrasher, Reaper
Kirsi Isrik - Condor
Laser Skaron - Burst
Memery Rowkay - Tristan
Mike Kingswell - Inquisitor
Nelliver Cadigal - Incursus
Professor Ice - Kestrel, Ibis
Rohtal Dnar - Thrasher
Tori Moliko - Merlin
Xanthys Pike - Punisher
armenthus brown - Inquisitor
Kills and Losses

We set our destination to Kinakka (though I must say that is the last minute decision instead of a planned route, so I mostly decide the route by checking Dotlan map and try to take the fleet to the content) and I sent the scouts at nearby +1 systems to scout around and find the fleet some content. First couple of systems were empty mostly until Alf spotted the first prey in form of Cormorant in a Medium FW Plex in Vey. Here I positioned the fleet at Vey gate and asked Alf whether he needs Vanguard or not to hold the tackle. Well he said his Cruor should be able to hold him until we arrive. Here was my first mistake. I was asking people what kind of ships they have before we launch the fleet but I forgot to ask our scouts their ships! In that time I learnt those ships and that was a mistake on my part. So I also believe Cruor probably could tackle and hold Cormorant since it is pirate frigate and known as being fast tackle ships with neuting ability (so bye bye blasters from Cormorant). I asked Alf to proceed and report as soon as he got tackle and that he did. We jumped to the system and warp to medium size FW complex but in the meantime Alf reported that he died. So by the time we reached complex pocket it was all ended and cormorant gone. So we looted the fallen Cruor and warped away.

(19:28:40) Vey
Cruor -69.19m

So, luckily Alf had a ship in system and reshipped very quickly to resume scouting. He found us a target in Vlillirier. So while we position at VLI gate he warped to complex to tackle the Algos with his Tristan. And sadly it experienced the same fate as before and our tackle died before fleet reached to the target. Here I should really send Douglas as vanguard so they can hold tackle together but instead I kept Douglas with the fleet and that was a mistake. Destroyers are really good at applying DPS so I should know better and send a vanguard to hold tackle even we lost the initial tackle.

Here I took a 5 minute break for Reallife and Nelliver took charge of the fleet. Since I was away I did not know what happened there precisely but I think there was no content there until VLI which at that point I was back.

(19:38:04) Vlillirier
Tristan -5.71m

Alf reshipped again and this time he choosed a brick tank Punisher :lol: This time I was more ready though and I am not going to take this light since the target again was destroyer; Algos, so I also send Douglas as secondary tackle and positioned the fleet to the gate waiting for signal. Then Alf got the initial tackle and I gave the order to jump and warp to medium complex and seconds later Douglas landed secondary tackle. But, this time TiDi (time dilation) got us. So our tacklers were alone again since most of the fleet either in gate jump transition or slowly warping due to TiDi (at some point it hit 25% but the average was 50%). However our scouts did a good job on that Algos and killed it until the fleet arrived and got the pod even! Good job! While I am angry due to TiDi and planning to move some other region, I see a Dominix on d-scan and moment later it was reported that Dominix was at medium complex waiting at gate and while we are warping away he was calling for a fight. We bounced back to medium only to see that Dominix is at 50km away from gate and launched drones. I checked his alignment and I took a risk and warped the fleet to a fortizar aligned which we cannot tether or dock (so it can attack us) and told the fleet that as soon as they land structure warp to medium at 50km range. And that way we landed on top of Dominix (so instead of burning to him with MWD and subject to heavy DPS we were able to tackle him easily). First I primaried his drones but then it was taking some time so I primaried the Dominix itself (too much drones to shoot and since we are at zero almost, he could always get drones in and out to save them). So while we are giving Dominix hard time he was also trying to kill us one by one and he managed to tackle and grab one of our Algos. A Malediction landed 100km away from us and slowly approaching (but not MWD active) Dominix was in half hull almost and I decided to overheat all guns of the fleet! By the time dominix was in deep hull, a large spike in local. I knew they were coming for us, so again I repeated overheat everything and get ready to evacuate. Malediction began burning to us (MWD on) and when Dominix died scatter order was given and I used fleet warp to a safe point. However Enyo was caught and died to the incoming fleet that was warping in by the time we were evacuating. That was a very fun fight and we were so close to annihilation. Dominix pilot was not affilitied with the incoming fleet so it was a 3rd party crashing our party :D He also offered another fight to test his Praxis, but we could not fight it under the existence of 3rd party fleet of advanced ships (cruisers and frigates mixed). So we docked a bit for repairs and discussion.

(19:55:06) Eha
Algos +1.63m
Capsule +0.01m
Merlin -6.85m
Algos -9.78m
Dominix +303.01m
Enyo -47.08m

Before we get ready to undock and leave system, 3rd party left system. So then we accepted that praxis fight. We warped to small plex and then immediatly align back to the station so we can catch the Praxis if he warps at range (plan was to get some frigates at 50km and 100km range for initial tackle). However he warped to zero. Fight began and this time we primary the Praxis. We lost one Kestrel but apart from it everyone seems fine. After fight he said that he overestimated the power of torpedos. And this was why we were holding the grid easily. Torpodos even with painter are not good for applying small sized ships and having two logistics helped to counter the incoming damage from torpedos. He could use drones but it seems he did not use them a lot (apart from killing the Kestrel). Exchanged GF in local and then we left system.

(20:20:26) Eha
Kestrel -1.05m
Praxis +199.65m

While we are jumping to next system, I stuck at gate transition so I logged and in the meanwhile Nelliver as 2IC, took over FCing. They spotted another Praxis and took the chance after our good luck with the previous one, but it was a bait. A fleet of cruisers warped to site and before fleet scattered to safety some got caught there and died sadly. Even it was not ended good for our fleet it was a good call for taking that Praxis, so thanks Nelliver for taking this great opportunity.

(20:36:04) Vlillirier, Oicx
Ibis -0.04m
Thrasher -3.16m
Inquisitor -3.34m
Incursus -3.72m
Punisher -6.59m

Scouts reporting that the cruiser fleet is still around. So we decided to turn back to Stacmon to reship. However some of us got caught at gates and died to the fleet. While we are approacing Stacmon scout reported there was a Arbitrator in a Medium Plex in Agoze so we diverted to fleet that way. He was active repped but still we overheated to overcome his repping power and finally it died. There we decided to dock up in Stacmon and end the roam.

(20:44:45) Renarelle, Agoze
Ibis -0.04m
Inquisitor -6.03m
Reaper -0.07m
Capsule -0.01m
Punisher -8.57m
Arbitrator +44.92m

I want to thank Nelliver and Laser for stepping up as 2IC and 3IC, to logistics pilots for saving us from tight situations, to our scouts (Alf and Douglas) for finding us content and of course to all member who attended this fleet and gave their best efforts to eliminate the hostiles!

Stats
ISK Destroyed: 549,228,280.4
ISK Lost: 171,219,712.8
ISK Delta: 378,008,567.6
Efficiency: 76.234%

Overall evaluation
  • (Positive stuff)
    - Fleet Discipline : I think the fleet lecture beforehand helped the members to maintain the fleet discipline and follow the fleet commands easily. We had some minor issues (one member could not get in mumble at early stages) but we sorted that out by repeating our commands in fleet chat and using broadcasts (thanks to 2IC, Nelliver)
    - Communications : Comm channel and general discipline was OK. There were some very minor incidents but in general it was all good and understanble.
    - Scouts were goot at finding us content.
    - 2IC and 3IC was good and in times of need they stepped up and led the fleet well.
    - Logistics worked a lot and they saved some of us in some troubled times :)
    (Negative stuff)
    - I should have ask scouts' ships and fittings beforehand so I could know our limitations and whether Vanguard is necessary or not.
    - I should have plan the route way before instead of pulse moving so maybe we could have more content along the way.
    - Since there was a lecture beforehand, I did not give a newbro speech, however it was clear that there was some confusion over fleet broadcast so next time I will cover some watchlist and broadcast basics before launching the fleet just to be on the safe side.
Feel free to give feedback if you want to point out another positive/negative stuff.
"In Blasters I Trust"

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Professor Ice

Re: [NOP] Kitchen Sink Frigates @ 2018-07-21

Post by Professor Ice »

My first fleet in over two years. Very fun! I got to practice saving my pod three times, and in the end I made it out with my pod intact. Plus two battleship kills in exchange for my kestrel. Worth it.
Tori Moliko
Title: Graduate, Student Advocate, WHC Logistics Officer

Post by Tori Moliko »

Thanks for the write-up and the fleet, Ersin. I have not been on too many fleets and this was probably the second or third time that I felt like I could understand what was going on, applying some of the lessons learned from Reise Amatin in the PVP Basics class earlier this week. I hadn't before seen the tactic of waiting on the other side of a gate until a target was tackled. That makes sense as a way to avoid having a spike in local, but I guess it makes it very important for the fleet to jump and warp quickly. I was targeted by and taking damage from that Praxis we took down for quite some time, so thanks again, logi.
Image Image Image Image Image
Rohtal Dnar

Post by Rohtal Dnar »

Whenever other players would ntalkn about content I would be lost. Now I Know. :D :D :D Great fleet and learning exp. The kill board looks nice as well.

https://zkillboard.com/character/877387686/kills/
Thanks Ersin.
Laser Skaron
Title: Lieutenant Junior Grade, Graduate

Post by Laser Skaron »

Was indeed a fun fleet, and damn I'm glad to be stubborn and bring logi to a kitchen sink fleet.

First off, I don't like kitchen sink, there's at least 2-3 ships that were on the verge of surviving while we were repping them, but not repping into the correct tank meant we lost them.

The Arbitrator fight at the end, I thought we had lost nothing there and now I see we dropped a punisher at some point - really liked that engagement from my perspective. Was solo logi at the time, warped in fast enough to save our scout, noticed the arbi and his drones instantly started locking me up, started manually piloting away and getting his drones to chase me. I love Bursts, managed to buy around 30-40 seconds there while going down to 5% shields while drones were just trying to catch up to me.

Fun fleet, but I would really recommend we go for an actual doctrine next time :). Merlins or Punishers are going to be more predictable and perform better than Kitchen sink any day.

PS. I hope I haven't interrupted on comms too much ;) .