[NPSI] Met Goons coming to Horde space

Budda Sereda
Title: Manager (Fittings), Mentor, Lieutenant, Graduate, Management

[NPSI] Met Goons coming to Horde space

Post by Budda Sereda »

I planned to gather an Arty Canes fleet (https://forum.eveuniversity.org/viewtop ... 6&t=108677) and see if we can alpha big things from the grid. Unfortunately, I did not get as much (in Hurricanes) as I would love to and opponents I chose to engage appeared to be too strong. We whelped, but I like the fleet and hope at least some of you did learn something.

Form-up.

We formed up with around 30-ish pilots, later, during fleet, we got up-to 46... and I assumed we did get many DDs... see more on that below.
During undocking I got x-up from around 6 Osprey logies, a Dictor, quite a few scouts and few Harpies.
Spoiler
ADSexploit
Aiden Chance
Arashi Shizukana
Athena Olympia
Avicii Miromme
Budda Sereda
Calder Ormand
Captain Joyless
CocoMaster Yung
Corvinus Barca
Darion Atlas
Darth A30NZ
Draconis-Nar Mussalini
Dreaksy Tyr
Drugsor Von Warren
Freyjia Aryana
FrimasQc L
Gemma Solett
Imperator Zed
John Adams Viper
Kurune Hodar
Lonestar Shwartz
Malcomtempt
Mir Sotken
OFFICIAL BIGBOY
Peter Pantaloons
Queen Swiss
RT Surgeon
Ragnar Enceminator
Rhachator
Rusty Napalm
Sad Panda Bear
Sagittarius Griffins
Sanif Mak514
Senshi Shizukana
SkidMark Nalelmir
Spydion
Steveredd Kazul
Sweetling Shikkoken
Syn Saissore
Vay Por
Wokum
Xackattack Avianson
darkani
minxxy3
nameis toolon
It took a bit of time to form-up,... many people were burning to the fleet from quite away, we did spend some time doing logy-cap-chaining 101, and eventually undocked.

Roam.

I went first towards Aldranette, later RQH-MY and further down into nul towards C4C. Yes, I knew Horde moved out, but quite often I noticed roaming gangs and if we don't find them, they would find us.
That is exactly what happened. At some point, we were in P-2TTL system, scouts reported tons of Ishtars with Guardians, and reasonable voice on comms reported: "You better run". When I asked "How many", the answer was "60-ish". My first reaction was: that's A LOT. 2nd: come on, we are in arty Canes, we just BLAP them 1 by 1... So I asked scouts to follow those Ishtars and called "warp to B-9".

At the same moment I got a message on comms "I was pointed". I requested more details, but it was hard to understand what system was that, who was pointed by whom. It looks like one of BCs was behind, and was caught by Stiletto, the pilot was pointed another gate in the same system, so I called Harpies to work to him and clean the Stiletto. Analyzing killmail, it looks like when fleet warped off, one of canes was caught by Stiletto.
Looks like that was OP success:

Stiletto +35.33m

Somehow, our Bellicose pilot appeared to be on a wrong gate... Dunno why and how, but was killed:
Bellicose -22.29m

And looking to killmails, looks like to logies warped back to safe the ship which was caught by stiletto, but when they landed, they were killed by another gang who just entered the system: what a surprise, don't warp unless FC called for that.
Osprey -31.48m
Osprey -16.39m

Whelp.

While I was marely unaware about 2 lost logies, I heard 'POINT' called on Ishtar. We were sitting on the same gate, so I called "jump-jump-jump". We did not alpha him... Now, looking into killmail I understand why: because of ADC, apparently :)

The rest of Ishtars and Guards appeared on Dscan. I called to Anchor up, asked Anchor to orbit us at 30km, and as that fleet started landing, I've tried killing Guardians, switched primary, through few, switched to Ishtar, nothing was working. :( I was killed, asked 2IC to take over, but he reported that looks like we all are killed.

As I did not need to focus on picking primaries I looked to the fleet ... and called scatter, RT Cancer brough the rest of fleet (around 6-8 Harpies) back to HS.

https://zkillboard.com/related/30002029/201803090400/

(02:05:26) 8S-0E1
Reaper +1.94m

(04:20:58) P-2TTL, B-9C24, 7RM-N0
Ishtar +319.99m
Hurricane -77.79m
Hurricane -77.79m
Hurricane -75.15m
Hurricane -82.82m
Hurricane -78.04m
Hurricane -118.02m
Hurricane -78.92m
Badger +30.4m
Hurricane -82.35m
Hurricane -75.66m
Hurricane -80.38m
Hurricane -81.21m
Blackbird -11.35m
Claw -49.97m
Stiletto -55.55m

ISK Destroyed: 387,670,973.77
ISK Lost: 1,095,165,250.92
ISK Delta: -707,494,277.15
Efficiency: 26.144%

Analysis.

First, let me go through comments I got via Spectre FC Feebcack form. I have not done similar before because usually feedback was very positive. Today it is different. I hope nobody mind me discussing this in public and feedback will keep coming.

* Only improvement would be clearer/more decisive command calls like jump, hold, warp to x, etc. Otherwise great, fun fleet!
* Isn't very clear on comms. He doesn't make decision quick enough on engagements. He needs to understand the fleet comp and engage on his terms
:( Yeah, English is not my native and will do my best next time to be very clear at least with these simple commands.
Decisions speed... I guess yes, will need to improve, how can I do this other than keep practicing?
But I feel I am also not familiar with scouts and their styles. I got used to scout/tackle style in E-Uni: before hunter goes for tackle it confirms with FC fleet is ready. Once landed a tackle he loudly calls "point". While this is a bit different with SF... and delay my decisions :(

* 3 hour fleet: Threw an entire 50 man cane fleet into the garbage willingly, srp'd none of it. F..k EUTZ.[/b]
It was not my goal to whelp fleet in 1.5 hour. Typically my fleets take 3-4 hours, sorry I decided to engage THOSE falks, lesson learned.
We only had 12 canes, not 50. If we had 50, I'm sure we would kill few more Guardians.
And I never SRP DDs. Quite often I do SRP Ceptors, T2 logies, dictors, CD - those are already SRPed.

* Decides to stay and fight a fleet he cannot win against. Says on coms as if "whelping the fleet" was a good thing....
Accepted, I should have realized we don't have even 30 canes and engaging that with 12 canes was a suicide.
Will learn from this.
I do admit I don't cry we lost 12 Canes and some support. Clearly, I'm not happy about this, yet I don't see this as a big deal.
Am I wrong?

* This fleet moved way to fast for the size ships that we were in. We were in hurricanes and the fc would have the fleet warping like we were in frigs. Several times he was asked to slow the fleet down - ignored that and didn't even comment on anything. His accent was hard to understand at times so maybe English is not his primary language? Maybe it was a bad night for him but he didn't seem to know where his fleet was.
* I felt the fleet was moving to fast for the slow ass ships we where in alot of people kept getting split up and spread out over a a few system, sometimes you need to slow the fleet down to keep everyone together, and then half the fleet on one side and the other side logi and others getting caught out by a second fleet trailing. I felt our stregnths where sticking together and the way we where when engaged was spread over 2 or 3 different systems...
Feedback about being too fast is consistent.
I'm sorry, indeed I was not following the fleet chat and was not aware, I'm running it too fast. Sorry about that.
But ... what means "too fast". Usually, before calling 'jump' I was checking how many Canes are on dscan that are more than 50-100km away from the gate, and was calling 'jump' only when all people in dscan range landed on a grid.
Is this too fast? What is the measure then of "normal"? I did call on the beginning of the fleet: if you left behind or lost - please speak up!
Anything specific I could do better? Please advise.

* overall good fc hard to understand at times but that's just the accent. don't pick fights with ishtars next time lol
Thanks!, not much positive feedback today.

* Lost FC with poor target broadcast management and close to 0 tactical awareness. Basically fed our fleet to Goonswarm tactical group which wasnt * even interested in fighting
Interesting, I'm sure all targets I was calling where broadcasted. Can somebody who was in the fleet comment on this more? What exactly was wrong?

What did I learn:

1. Heck, during our trip through systems I saw we do have roughly 10-15 canes, and not really as much people on the grid... But this did not trigger me to think "we only have 12 canes". I had same feeling as expressed above "50 man canes fleet". No, it was 12 canes. Only.
I should spend an additional time and check fleet composition before undock.

2. Guards are most likely AB fit and are really hard to apply DPS. Not good targets to primary.

3. Ishtars are MWD, and are probably less tankier. But heck, they do have ADC, that's a deal breaker: can you kill a HAC now?
The one we got popped really quick (thanks to alpha).

4. After the fleet I was told, we better have started engagement at a longer range and even with mid-range ammo we would apply better.
Plus Ishtar's drones would need to travel and that would give us a little bit more time.

5. I guess I should ask scouts to confirm they can engage and clearly call when something is pointed.

6. Unfortunately, logies we had today were not really experienced, and without having a Logy Commander I'm not sure how successful would be our logy wing. In E-Uni we are quite strict regarding logy wing: expectation is to have cap-chain and we often have LCs who can run that.
I feel that going forward I will be calling for Solo logies instead of cap chain.

Summary:

Ok, that was quite a bit of learning experience. It is not often happen that you meet 50-men T2 HAC fleet. With all said, I do believe I did an OK job calling primaries, broadcasting targets, and trying to get kills for the fleet.
Clearly, there is something to improve.

I will keep learning, FCing, and hope many of you will join my fleets in future.

Thanks for coming and please keep providing feedback.

P.S. Eeven though I do argue, I appreciate the feedback. And I argue not to disprove criticism, but to realize what exactly I need to improve.

P.P.S. Feel free to fill-in the E-Uni FCC Feedback form: https://goo.gl/forms/W6OTiwPMD2Lu1lmL2
Sagittarius Griffins
Title: Sophomore

Re: [NPSI] Met Goons coming to Horde space

Post by Sagittarius Griffins »

First time I flew logi on a fleet before, but didn't get to do too much :(
I was being distracted by RL during most of the fleet, so I fell behind by about 1 or 2 jumps, and ended up pretty confused as to what was happening. I ended up on grid with fellow Logi pilot in an Osprey, and he was tackled by a stiletto. Foolishly, I stayed on grid instead of warping off trying to rep him up. Yeah, that didn't go well. Anyways, always fun to try something new in eve, sad to miss the main event of the albeit short fleet.

What I learned:
- Don't fall behind fleet
- Turn up the Mumble volume to better hear commands
- When an inty lands on grid and the fleet is in the next system, RUN

Look forward to the next fleet, hopefully I can fly logi again
Wokum
Title: Sophomore

Re: [NPSI] Met Goons coming to Horde space

Post by Wokum »

It was a great fleet, had lots of fun, which, if recall correctly, is the whole point. We got whelped at the end but this is Eve and stuff happens. We learned a lot, had a blast, and overall a successful fleet.