New Players' Survival in EVE Online

For general discussion about EVE Online.
Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
Noemie Belacqua

Re: New Players' Survival in EVE Online

Post by Noemie Belacqua »

That's a very nice write-up! Marius, would you like to take a crack at the Dos and Don'ts for Noobs in EvE page on the Wiki? I think it could use some of the material from your post.
Marius Labo
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Marius Labo »

If I get time I'll take a look. I have other projects (including a wiki) on the go that are a priority. I had a mind to create my own page, but then it's just another page, right? Hehe.
Tweek Etimua

Post by Tweek Etimua »

I was going to post a new topic with this question but it seemed fitting to put it here.

I'm by no means a new player to eve. Or am I a bitter vet with substantial skills. I am, however, and have been a transient. I always find my self renewing my sub, playing with a group and then quitting out of frustration. I'm hoping that this time I re-visit eve I will stick with it. I'm also hoping you all can help.

My first dilemma is that I can not and will not use multiple accounts. I can't afford it or make time for it. In the past many jobs I'd like to do are usually filled in by users with multiple accounts who would rather log in an alt and not have to worry about paying some schmuck like me. Which leaves me usually floating around aimlessly trying to earn Isk solo (in a corp or not).

So my question is this;
Is it possible for any player to login nightly, make enough Isk to be a useful asset in PVP. While only having one account?
Marius Labo
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Marius Labo »

Tweek Etimua wrote:So my question is this;
Is it possible for any player to login nightly, make enough Isk to be a useful asset in PVP. While only having one account?
It's very possible, yes. You still have your two alt-slots on account you can use for handy and quickly trained alts (whether you opt in for using MCT or just suspend your main's training for short periods) to assist you with ISK generation. One idea that comes to mind is station trading. On your main if you need to generate ISK you'll just have to determine what time you dedicate to that compared to your PvP time. There are many who play in this fashion.
Gavello

Post by Gavello »

Tweek Etimua wrote: So my question is this;
To add to Marius above, don't forget about Faction Warfare if your interest is to pvp. Offensive Plexing sites will naturally gain you loyalty points which you can sell for isk. A single novice site that takes 10 minutes to complete will easily pay for a fully fitted T1 frigate with T2 mods while you have the pvp come to you. You'll also get to spend alot of time with other militia groups and find the folks you like to play with. Some groups even give out free ships pretty consistently if you join their fleets.

The only downside is this option is not available to unistas so it's something you'll have to do on an our-of-uni alt. Still great experience to have.
Last edited by Gavello on 2016.01.05 00:04, edited 1 time in total.
HSC | Incursion Group | <3 LSC | Loser/Importer of many Thrashers
Mercenary
Marius Labo
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Marius Labo »

Here is a good article on the various sec status areas of space:

http://theneocom.com/2015/12/16/explori ... ecurities/
Dimen Sion

Post by Dimen Sion »

Im new and this post more or less matches what ive been told and then some. I hope to learn more from this corp and I hope to have a lot of fun doing it! If everything here is as informative as this post i think ill be a pretty decent pilot a month or two from now.
TossPro

Post by TossPro »

I just ran into a new player that I am introducing to Eve-Uni, i'll send him this also, thanks!
Denheri Inkura

Post by Denheri Inkura »

This is top stuff. Everything clearly labeled and structured.
Thanks for putting it together :D

Regards,
Denheri
Currently entwined in the curious case of... Learning
Once you pop, you just can't stop... TM
Marius Labo
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Marius Labo »

Denheri Inkura wrote:This is top stuff. Everything clearly labeled and structured.
Thanks for putting it together :D

Regards,
Denheri
You're very welcome. I am glad that you found it helpful.
LifeLine Kim

Post by LifeLine Kim »

Good read.

My main issue has always been taking the plunge and just getting into combat, I hate not really knowing (or fear of not knowing) what to do in combination with failing, and the latter is definitely a major hold back in eve, while the former is something I can likely work on if I accept the latter, and no matter how much i read i always feel I don't know enough to fight. I need to kill my inner carebear.

I'm new to Eve Uni, and while I've trialed previously, and subbed once years ago, I've never really beaten the learning curb because of my own risk averse nature, hoping to properly sort that out this time. Need to get my mic situation figured out (my new turtlebeach headset doesnt have the proper audio input :( ) and then play some part in roams, or just group up with people in general.
Marius Labo
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Marius Labo »

Definitely get out onto to some fleets. That alone will help you, and you get that sense of being in a combat unit (for those with military combat arms experience, you know what I'm talking about).

One thing I can suggest is put yourself in a Kobayashi Maru scenario (the unwinnable scenario, or at least the unsurvivable). As a Uni member you'll need to do this on an alt. Basically go out and attack someone in highsec who isn't a legitimate target (they are not flashy to you). Do this in a cheap ship with a cheap fit and not much ammo. This is known as suicide ganking. Attacking unprovoked, with the 100% guarantee that you'll lose your ship. You may even kill your target, depending on what you attack. This will help you get over your risk aversion. And it may even give you that taste of blood and the swagger of a dirty pirate ;).

Your ship is ammo. You expend it.

You can also fit out a decent, but inexpensive combat frigate and head off to a lowsec region which has Factional Warfare on the go. There are plenty of systems near the Uni HSC and HQ that qualify. Jump into a system, check local, set up some safes, and once you have a few, start to d-scan the FW sites. Concentrate on the Novice and Smalls mainly. Novice sites are limited to T1 and Faction frigates, Smalls are limited to destroyers and frigates. What you're looking for are solo pilots in those sites. If you spot one you can warp into the site (at 10K, so you don't tangle on the Accel Gate), and then slide in via the Accel Gate. You'll land right near the FW beacon. You may get lucky and catch your prey right there, or at least in the site. You may find they are waiting there deliberately so as to get some fights.

Do worry about winning. You're more than likely going to lose. And there's nothing wrong with that. The most successful people in life are the ones that have gone out and failed time and again, but they simply got back up and kept pushing forward. The same can be true of PvP in EVE.

Another great place for you to learn is on Sisi (Singularity), test server. Stations there are seeded with most modules, charges, rigs, etc., with the exception of deadspace, faction (I think) and officer mods. And everything, including ships costs 100 ISK per unit. You'll want to get a handful of friends on with you. And just get in a do it. You'll blow up lots, and it won't matter. You'll learn lots and have fun, which does matter :).

And again, get on to some Uni PvP fleets. You'll learn a lot and you'll have fun.
Kalaya Corin
Title: Freshman

Post by Kalaya Corin »

Marius Labo wrote:
It's your game, play it as you want. Ultimately there is no right or wrong way to play. Do what you want to do.
Marius, that was a great synopsis, Thank you. I quoted my favorite part. After all it is a sandbox, and at times it feels as if it is "my sandbox" :)
Marius Labo
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Marius Labo »

Thanks, Kalaya! I'm glad you found this interesting if not useful :)
Marius Labo
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Marius Labo »

A good wiki article. I've edited to bring it more up-to-date.

http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Tips_for_New_Players