New Players' Survival in EVE Online

For general discussion about EVE Online.
Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
Akrotiri Dallocort

Re: New Players' Survival in EVE Online

Post by Akrotiri Dallocort »

Some helpful info on here guys. Thanks for taking the time to help us new players out. o7
chad Jovakko

Post by chad Jovakko »

new guy cant wait to get into eve university!
Tezim Tukar

Post by Tezim Tukar »

I was just starting to run through this playlist and quickly realized it's outdated. The starting tutorial is significantly different.

I'm new, but is there anything I can do to help improve/update this? I don't feel qualified to re-record video, but mabe there's another way I can help?
Marius Labo
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Marius Labo »

I'll definitely have to look at updating this article. Probably start it as a new thread.

Nice to see that it still gets a wee bit of traffic!
Jacknyfe

Post by Jacknyfe »

Great intro to the game, thx
Marius Labo
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Marius Labo »

Jacknyfe wrote:Great intro to the game, thx
I appreciate the feedback. :D
Kipo Zen

Post by Kipo Zen »

New players should have a peace time with them not being attacked by anyone except for npc for 1 week, makes them really comfrotable in the game and start then they will start to understand how the system works (take baby steps these guys are not big brains).
Doubzero

Post by Doubzero »

Kipo Zen wrote:New players should have a peace time with them not being attacked by anyone except for npc for 1 week, makes them really comfrotable in the game and start then they will start to understand how the system works (take baby steps these guys are not big brains).
Tell the trigs that :P
iProphet2k

Post by iProphet2k »

Doubzero wrote:
Kipo Zen wrote:New players should have a peace time with them not being attacked by anyone except for npc for 1 week, makes them really comfrotable in the game and start then they will start to understand how the system works (take baby steps these guys are not big brains).
Tell the trigs that :P
There is a "rookie grieving period" of 30 days, I believe, but in my opinion it is way too little. I don't have enough time to play everyday so that timer ran out looong before I felt comfortable to cross thru the lowsec areas.
As the great Mandalorian said: Don't play with your food!
Image Image
Marius Labo
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Marius Labo »

iProphet2k wrote:There is a "rookie grieving period" of 30 days, I believe, but in my opinion it is way too little.
It's not universal. It pertains to specific systems as outlined in this Help Center post. If you're not within the bounds of those systems and you're under 30 days old you're fair game for any actions within the game.
As long as you have remained in the systems and parameters as outlined in the link above, you have 30 days of "peace".

The point is for you to quickly understand that EVE Online is not a peaceful game. It's about player conflict and player-driven conflict. The more you stick to "baby steps" the less successful you will be in immersing in and enjoying EVE Online for what it really is.
Tubare Andosoperra

Post by Tubare Andosoperra »

These are very useful tips, thank you. Especially interesting is the warning that even in PvE plays, there is the ever-present danger of other players who can and will give you a hard time - even if you're just doing a "bit of mining"!

I know my focus may change in future but the PvE element does interest me - but this post and the replies have made me keep in mind the need to still remain vigilant and careful.
Ezmia Decima Phatramn

Post by Ezmia Decima Phatramn »

:shock: awesome write up, I have read other stuff similar, but this was an enjoyable read.
Evil-Eddy

Post by Evil-Eddy »

Excellant article,
Informative and good reading with equally good advice. This should be given to all newbies on arrival in New Eden.
Zhalki Ataru

Post by Zhalki Ataru »

While a few years old, the information is still mostly very useful for Newbro's and even some older players alike , thank you for sharing.
Flint Ironstag

Post by Flint Ironstag »

Just read this. Thank you for the OP