New Players' Survival in EVE Online

For general discussion about EVE Online.
Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
Marius Labo
Retired Director
Retired Director

Re: New Players' Survival in EVE Online

Post by Marius Labo »

Similar to the above wiki page: http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Golden_Rules (more point-form, less words and links)
Opeth John

Post by Opeth John »

Very good stuff! Wish I had this when I started.
ImageImage
Hamed Pour

Post by Hamed Pour »

Marius Labo
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Marius Labo »

Something of an update regarding the new Alpha Clone state, also known as Free-to-Play (F2P).

The Alpha Clone state, is a limited style of account, which allows you to essentially play-for-free, compared to the old Trial account concept, which still had limitations, but only for a limited time. The Alpha Clone state will allow you to play free essentially forever, unless you decide to close the account, or you upgrade it to an Omega account. Former Omega state accounts may continue to access the game on those accounts as an Alpha state Clone.

Key features:
  • You are limited to skills for the race you choose for your character.
  • You are limited to the a specific list of skills, and often limited to training the skill to a certain level.
  • You will train skills at approximately half the speed as an Omega state Clone where no implants are in play.
  • You are limited to the 24 hour skill queue (all skills in your queue must start within 24 hours)
  • You are limited to flying Tech 1 ships, including Navy faction ships up to cruiser size, and the special Jove battlecruiser, the Gnosis
  • You are limited to a cap of total skill points (SP) that if you are active you will max out at around 6 to 8 months, depending (approximately 5 million SP)
  • You will be locked out from a number of skills that many see as critical to being able to do many activities, such as Cloaking.
  • You cannot have any other account logged in while you have an Alpha Clone account logged in (you won't be able to multi-box) on the same computer.
  • No subscription or PLEX activation is required for you to continue to play with the limitations for as long as you wish.
You can do quite a bit as an Alpha. First, it's a great way to get the know the game without the pressure of an expiring time limit to play as with the old Trial accounts. Many new pilots to EVE Online aspire to being able to earn enough ISK in order to buy a PLEX to use to activate their account to an Omega state. It's always exciting the idea that you can use in-game currency to have effectively a subscribed account!

The downside is the grind to earn the ISK needed. Currently, the market to buy a PLEX is just over 1 billion ISK. It's expected this price will rise. The price in ISK for PLEX over the last couple of years has been from about 900 million to 1.3 billion. It takes quite a bit of grinding and time to earn this much. There are "faster" ways to earn it compared to other ways, but they often involve some risk and investment, which may not pan out. It can take dozens of game hours or more to earn this much, as much as having a full-time job, or more even.

Consider this, if you do grind all that and activate your Omega status and hope to repeat that, then you're facing the same grind again, hopefully a little less painful as perhaps you've learned a few things. Is this something you want to invest in? I mention this simply because paying a subscription is much more time-effective, and more cost-effective when translating PLEX to real money. Many veteran players who are able to PLEX their accounts often have years of momentum and more than one account on the go to make it all happen.

Should you decide you're enjoying the game I definitely recommend that you do subscribe as soon as possible. The best thing about the Alpha Clone state accounts is that it will bring in more players and we'll see more of these new players actually becoming Omega, and also some old players will poke in and see how the game has evolved, what's still around that they enjoyed or didn't enjoy, and what's changed.

The most important thing I believe you should keep in mind is that while being F2P, the Alpha state has limitations on purpose. Part of the purpose is to have you decide to become Omega. If you find that you're not catching the EVE Online bug, you can still come in and play to your heart's content as an Alpha, and have all the fun and content you want to get involved in on a "casual" basis.

There are also already a large number of videos available that are directed at Alpha Clones for fitting, PvP, how to earn ISK, exploration, etc. They really aren't much different that what would be for an Omega, but they take into account the skills limitations and caps, and the racial limitations for ships. Choosing your race is now much more of a consideration for an Alpha.

I hope you've found this post helpful. I'll look to add some links to some videos soon™.
Last edited by Marius Labo on 2017.01.10 01:11, edited 1 time in total.
Marius Labo
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Marius Labo »

For those interested, I maintain a channel in-game called Marius' Overview & Lounge where I keep links to my own Overview set-up maintained and current, along with links to a couple of other Overview profiles.

My Overview features 20 presets with enough variation for common situations, both PvP and PvE, yet it is not overcrowded with a massive number of presets. I make use of the current allowed total of 8 tabs. My tab titles are also colored (which you can change if you don't like) and of course you can change the tab names. It doesn't matter which preset you load into which tab, that is completely your choice based on your play preferences. It will have a familiarity to Uni Overview users since the current Uni Overview has it's roots in my rebuild of it at the request of management in late 2014.

Z-S Overview - also known as Zirio-Syundai Overview - links to Zirio's channel where he maintains a couple of Overview profiles. His more elaborate one is the current "go-to" for those who are looking for something like the old SaraShawa Overview packs (in case you didn't know, Sara's have not been maintained for several months and the guy who maintained has stopped doing so).

Overview.E-UNI - has links for the "recommended" Uni Overview pack, but the MOTD states the last update was July 24. 2016 and my last chat with some Uni management folk have indicated they didn't know if it would be updated and kept updated in that channel.

Caveat - always check information on offered overview packs to ensure they are current.

You can also use this channel as a quieter chat/help channel if you want, and feel free to make use of the Discord server I have linked there.
Last edited by Marius Labo on 2017.05.07 19:59, edited 1 time in total.
Jaha Preynar
Title: Graduate

Post by Jaha Preynar »

Thanks for your posts and links!!! These are GREAT resources which I will DEFINITELY recommend/pass along to our Newbros. CHEERS!
:D
Image Image Image ImageImageImage Image Image ImageImageImage

ImageImage Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image Image Image
Marius Labo
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Marius Labo »

Jaha Preynar wrote:Thanks for your posts and links!!! These are GREAT resources which I will DEFINITELY recommend/pass along to our Newbros. CHEERS!
:D
You're very welcome. I do hope that they help. Let me know if you see anything that needs changing/editing, and any suggestions on stuff to include is great as well.

Marius Labo wrote:Overview.E-UNI - has links for the "recommended" Uni Overview pack, but the MOTD states the last update was July 24. 2016 and my last chat with some Uni management folk have indicated they didn't know if it would be updated and kept updated in that channel.
The Uni Overview has now been updated in the this channel, so it is current once again.
Behind Ewe

Post by Behind Ewe »

Marius Labo wrote: It's your game, play it as you want.
And keep in mind that you probably won't have the faintest idea how you want to play it until you've played it long enough to know what really is on offer, and what among that YOU find fun and interesting.

Much like a child saying they want to be a policeman when they grow up really has no understanding of what they are saying.

Which comes back to the patience idea. This game just takes time. Took me way too long to figure that out.
Marius Labo
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Marius Labo »

Behind Ewe wrote:
Marius Labo wrote: It's your game, play it as you want.
And keep in mind that you probably won't have the faintest idea how you want to play it until you've played it long enough to know what really is on offer, and what among that YOU find fun and interesting.

Much like a child saying they want to be a policeman when they grow up really has no understanding of what they are saying.

Which comes back to the patience idea. This game just takes time. Took me way too long to figure that out.
Good stuff.
Marius Labo wrote:Patience is king.
;)
Marius Labo
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Marius Labo »

A great wiki page has been created for "The Magic 14", which are basically 14 key skills that you'll want to have trained up.

http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/The_Magic_14

This is based on the excellent forum article http://forum.eveuniversity.org/viewtopi ... 29&t=81073 also here on these forums.
Marius Labo
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Marius Labo »

Here is very good video that discusses a critical mindset that new players should develop if they wish to "survive" EVE Online mentally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQGWxQJLNPw
Jack Cavanaugh

Post by Jack Cavanaugh »

Marius Labo wrote:Here is very good video that discusses a critical mindset that new players should develop if they wish to "survive" EVE Online mentally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQGWxQJLNPw
Yes, don't take crap personally. On the other hand, I've seen a lot of the players who stick around trade hubs and rookie systems killing new players for fun...often take it VERY personally when they get a dose of their own medicine. You would...or perhaps not be surprised at how many people don't take their own advice.

I actually got a guy to pay me after he intentionally destroyed my ship. Sorry...can't give away my "secrets." Too secret. :P

There are players who will bounty you just for trash talking and it goes both ways. So if you want to give another player a piece of your mind, don't be surprised if you get a bounty for it.

Here's my #1 advice for everyone, new or old: EVE Online IS unfair.
Marius Labo
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Marius Labo »

Marius Labo wrote:For those interested, I maintain a channel in-game called Marius' Overview & Lounge where I keep links to my own Overview set-up maintained and current, along with links to a couple of other Overview profiles.

My Overview features 20 presets with enough variation for common situations, both PvP and PvE, yet it is not overcrowded with a massive number of presets. I make use of the current allowed total of 8 tabs. My tab titles are also colored (which you can change if you don't like) and of course you can change the tab names. It doesn't matter which preset you load into which tab, that is completely your choice based on your play preferences. It will have a familiarity to Uni Overview users since the current Uni Overview has it's roots in my rebuild of it at the request of management in late 2014.
I have update this and there are now 24 presets in my Overview pack. Check out my channel for both in-game links and an out-of-game link that you can download into you Overview folder that you can then import into your game from.
Marius Labo
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Marius Labo »

I watched this today, quite interesting, and very enlightening, and not to mention some great food for thought when it comes to recruitment of new players.

EVE FanFest 2017 - New Player Experience
Marius Labo
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Marius Labo »

Someone took the time a ways back and has made a fairly nice sheet to show and compare Alpha Clone Skills by race and category.