The Magic 14

For general discussion about EVE Online.
Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
Ziri Ghedari

Re: The Magic 14

Post by Ziri Ghedari »

Several people IG have mentioned this post to me as a great go to source for core skills. I revived an old character (pre-Vanguard) so some of these I didn't have even as high as starting players, like shield skills since the character is Gallente and usually armor tanks.

The info is too useful not to be in the wiki, so I made an entry mirroring the information from your original post. If you, or anyone for that matter, notices anything I've missed or that is erroneous or unclear, please feel free to edit in corrections and/or let me know and I'll be happy to clean it up.

The Magic 14

P.S. I credited you in the notes and linked back here. Hope you don't mind.
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
Apollyons One

Post by Apollyons One »

Much appreciated for the Wiki addition. Never have time anymore to do so myself.
Torr Victros
Title: [LTI], Graduate

Post by Torr Victros »

Ziri Ghedari wrote:Several people IG have mentioned this post to me as a great go to source for core skills. I revived an old character (pre-Vanguard) so some of these I didn't have even as high as starting players, like shield skills since the character is Gallente and usually armor tanks.

The info is too useful not to be in the wiki, so I made an entry mirroring the information from your original post. If you, or anyone for that matter, notices anything I've missed or that is erroneous or unclear, please feel free to edit in corrections and/or let me know and I'll be happy to clean it up.

The Magic 14

P.S. I credited you in the notes and linked back here. Hope you don't mind.
Ziri, you're right. Way past due for a Wiki page. Thanks for putting one up.
Sekoton

Post by Sekoton »

This is a good guideline. Thanks!
Raijin Naom
Title: Sophomore

Post by Raijin Naom »

awesome skill guide for newbies. Thanks :)
Aldrex Bramone

Post by Aldrex Bramone »

Good program, I've been working it for a while and have all of these up to 4 with a few 5's mixed in. Good overall improvement for flying any of my ships, from frigates to battleship.

Question - somewhere along way I saw a post about an incentive program - that the Uni or someone in it was offering 25mil ISK to new Unistas who achieved certain levels with the Magic 14, as an incentive to increase Unista skills overall in a balanced way. Now that I've made those levels, I've lost the post that talked about this incentive. Anyone know anything about it?

Thanks in advance.
Guiliano Thellere
Retired Director
Retired Director
Title: Student Advocate, Personnel Officer, Sophomore

Post by Guiliano Thellere »

It was a scheme run by Dark Lancelot but he's been inactive for a little while and so the scheme has been too. I've not yet heard if anyone else within the Uni has taken this on yet...
ImageImageImageImageImage
Aldrex Bramone

Post by Aldrex Bramone »

Guiliano,

Thanks for the response and info, I appreciate it. I'll shoot him a message and maybe he'll be back sometime.
eoiles
Title: Freshman

Post by eoiles »

Is all level 4 of these skills enough for most pilot?
Laser Skaron
Title: Lieutenant Junior Grade, Graduate

Post by Laser Skaron »

eoiles wrote:Is all level 4 of these skills enough for most pilot?
There's never enough skills for any pilot :).

I recommend you take a loot here after Magic 14, https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Core_Ski ... skillplans for a more complete recommendation of support skills that are generally useful as you spend time in the game.
Raido Kudonen

Post by Raido Kudonen »

eoiles wrote:Is all level 4 of these skills enough for most pilot?
Not remotely. While Alpha clones are limited to level 4 or lower in these skills, this actually badly limits your ability to properly fit and fly a ship. You will want many of these skills to 5 very early on as an Omega clone, and should not train into or fly any ship larger than a cruiser without everything in at least the "Engineering", "Armor" and "Shield" categories to V.
"What is good in life, Raido?"
"To crush your enemies. To see them bubbled before you, and to hear the lamentations of their carebears."

Join Fweddit - Be a Space Chikun!
Trillian Ituin
Title: Sophomore

Post by Trillian Ituin »

There's a related skill training reward program by HSC, which seems not to be as well known. So I cross link it here: https://forum.eveuniversity.org/viewtop ... 67&t=98961
Vorax Yotosala

Post by Vorax Yotosala »

perhaps add a P.S./note to Alpha clones that some of the skills can only be trained to level 3?
Ryousuke Takahashi

Post by Ryousuke Takahashi »

Out of curiosity, I noticed in my fits that I need energy upgrades a lot. Maybe, this should be added or a better question why was this not part of the original concept?
Kalaya Corin
Title: Freshman

Post by Kalaya Corin »

Ryousuke Takahashi wrote:
Out of curiosity, I noticed in my fits that I need energy upgrades a lot. Maybe, this should be added or a better question why was this not part of the original concept?
You will find that not only Energy Upgrades, but Weapon Upgrades, and Warhead Upgrades become valuable as well as you press your ship fits to maximize DPS. As you move into advanced ships you will discover not 14 but 140 skills seems to be needed to properly fly your ship.

One should not despair though, all things will come in time. The approach I took after running into the skill wall is to stay focused on a ship doctrine
-- sometimes a single doctrine like a target Orca fit for my Hauler/boost alts. You will discover that when you focus on a doctrine rather than an abstract set of skills you will feel the benefit of the time taken by flying the chosen doctrine on that last day of training -- and flying it well.

I have used FleetUp over my career and found it valuable. I even have a few skill planes I used for all my alts to get them to a place where they had multi-role capabilities. You can check those out as my FleetUp is open to Uni Members. The link is below.

Also the Uni doctrines on FleetUp provide a skill plan to that doctrine. Pick a doctrine and try it out. You may find it quite useful to managing your skill plan going forward.

I hope that is helpful.
Stay well and Fly safe!

Promised Links:
General FleetUp link
http://fleet-up.com/

Eve UNI Doctring Link:
https://fleet-up.com/Doctrine/Index/42050

Defiant Liberation Corporation Skill Plan Link
https://fleet-up.com/Certificate/Index/44256