The Magic 14

For general discussion about EVE Online.
Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
Apollyons One

The Magic 14

Post by Apollyons One »

Now for the reason of this post, the Magic 14.

Every new player that comes to EVE Online comes with a base set of skills and really no idea what skills to train next or why. I've decided to put together a list of skills that every player should train and have trained from the beginning. Not just a list of skills, but a list of skills with actual reasons as to why they should be trained. Actual reasons and not "just because". This list comes with one caveat... If you plan to never undock, never use a ship other than your pod, or if you have any reason to never leave station, then this list will not benefit you in any way.

The Magic 14:

As you might have guessed by now, this list is 14 skills long. These skills are going to be in a logical order for explanation, some of them will be prerequisites for the others, none of them have prerequisites that are not on this list. The order you train them is up to you, but I suggest training them all and within your first days as a new capsuleer. None of them should be left below level 4. (If you're not a new capsuleer and don't have some of these skills trained, you should probably do so.)
All of these skills are on a new character already by default now.

CPU Management - Default Skill Level: 4 - Alpha Limit: 5
-Basic understanding of spaceship sensory and computer systems. 5% Bonus to ship CPU output per skill level.
Gives us more CPU to fit more/better modules.

Power Grid Management - Default Skill Level: 4 - Alpha Limit: 5
-Basic understanding of spaceship energy grid systems. 5% Bonus to ship's power grid output per skill level.
Gives us more PG to fit more/better modules.

Capacitor Management - Default Skill Level: 3 - Alpha Limit: 4
-Skill at regulating your ship's overall energy capacity. 5% bonus to capacitor capacity per skill level.
Gives us more Capacitor that allows our modules to run longer.

Capacitor Systems Operations - Default Skill Level: 3 - Alpha Limit: 3
-Skill at operator you ship's capacitor, including the use of capacitor boosters and other basic energy modules. 5% reduction in capacitor recharge time per skill level.
Makes our Capacitor regenerate faster to help compensate how much we use.

Mechanics - Default Skill Level: 2 - Alpha Limit: 5
-Skill at maintaining the mechanical components and structural integrity of a spaceship. 5% bonus to structure hit points per skill level.
Gives us more base Hull hit points to help us survive.

Hull Upgrades - Default Skill Level: 2 - Alpha Limit: 5
-Skill at maintaining your ship's armor and installing hull upgrades like expanded cargoholds and inertial stabilizers. Grants a 5% bonus to armor hit points per skill level.
Gives us more base Armor hit points to help us survive.

Shield Management - Default Skill Level: 2 - Alpha Limit: 4
-Skill at regulating a spaceship's shield systems. 5% bonus to shield capacity per skill level.
Gives us more base Shield hit points to help us survive.

Shield Operation - Default Skill Level: 3 - Alpha Limit: 4
-Skill at operating a spaceship's shield systems, including the use of shield boosters and other basic shield modules. 5% reduction in shield recharge time per skill level.
Allows our Shields to regenerate faster to help mitigate incoming damage and/or recover after a fight.

Long Range Targeting - Default Skill Level: 1 - Alpha Limit: 3
-Skill at long range targeting. 5% bonus to targeting range per skill level.
Allows us to lock onto targets that are farther away.

Signature Analysis - Default Skill Level: 1 - Alpha Limit: 3
-Skill at operating Targeting Systems. 5% improved targeting speed per skill level.
Allows us to lock on to targets faster.

Navigation - Default Skill Level: 3 - Alpha Limit: 5
-Skill at regulating the power output of ship thrusters. 5% bonus to sub-warp ship velocity per skill level.
Increases our base maximum speed to make us go faster.

Evasive Maneuvering - Default Skill Level: 1 - Alpha Limit: 3
-Improved skill at efficiently turning and accelerating a spaceship. 5% improved ship agility for all ships per skill level.
Improves our Inertia Modifier to allow us to reach our top speed faster and turn tighter at higher speeds.

Warp Drive Operation - Default Skill Level: 1 - Alpha Limit: 3
-Skill at managing warp drive efficiency. Each skill level reduces the capacitor need of initiating warp by 10%.
Lets us warp away using a minimal amount of our capacitor.

Spaceship Command - Default Skill Level: 3 - Alpha Limit: 4
-The basic operation of spaceships. 2% improved ship agility for all ships per skill level.
Improves our Inertia Modifier to allow us to reach our top speed faster and turn tighter at higher speeds.

Why these 14?

Every one of these skills directly effects any ship we undock in a positive way. Every thing from fitting ability to movement capability is touched with these 14 skills. They allow us to live longer, move faster, fit better modules, and overall be more efficient. Yes, many other skills come into play when looking at fitting a ship, tanking, doing damage, etc. However these 14 skills are the base and basics every Capsuleer should have.

Skill plan to train all of the above skills to a MINIMUM of lvl 3 (based on new character skill set)

Code: Select all

Hull Upgrades III (7 hours, 19 minutes, 2 seconds)
Mechanics III (3 hours, 39 minutes, 30 seconds)
Warp Drive Operation II (38 minutes, 50 seconds)
Warp Drive Operation III (3 hours, 39 minutes, 30 seconds)
Evasive Maneuvering II (1 hour, 17 minutes, 38 seconds)
Evasive Maneuvering III (7 hours, 19 minutes, 2 seconds)
Signature Analysis II (38 minutes, 50 seconds)
Signature Analysis III (3 hours, 39 minutes, 30 seconds)
Long Range Targeting II (1 hour, 17 minutes, 38 seconds)
Long Range Targeting III (7 hours, 19 minutes, 2 seconds)
Shield Management III (10 hours, 58 minutes, 34 seconds)

Total time: 1 day, 23 hours, 47 minutes, 6 seconds
Last edited by Apollyons One on 2019.05.29 11:04, edited 7 times in total.
Luispo Llaculez

Re: The Magic 14

Post by Luispo Llaculez »

Very helpfull for newbies like myself.

I have most of them trained up to 3, and a couple up to 4. I guess getting all of them to 4 is more than enough in order to be efficient.

Thanks a lot! :D
Dama Arishe

Post by Dama Arishe »

Additionally the attributes for these skills are similar, but not exactly the same:

Int/Mem:

CPU Management
Power Grid Management
Capacitor Systems Operation
Mechanics
Hull Upgrades
Shield Management
Shield Operation
Long Range Targeting
Signature Analysis

Int/Per:

Navigation
Evasive Maneuvering
Warp Drive Operation

Per/Will:

Spaceship Command

So it's a pretty easy newbro Intelligence/Memory remap, and then a Perception/Willpower remap which leads right in to weapons and spaceship skills.

Still a lot of training to get to 5 though. 90+ days with remaps and +3s or so?
Apollyons One

Post by Apollyons One »

Dama Arishe wrote:...

So it's a pretty easy newbro Intelligence/Memory remap, and then a Perception/Willpower remap which leads right in to weapons and spaceship skills.

Still a lot of training to get to 5 though. 90+ days with remaps and +3s or so?
That's why i mentioned sitting at lvl 4 at least. The 5th level at 7 days each run all of those skills to an over 80 day train. For a new player, those skills at lvl 4 are more than substantial start and overall those skills should take roughly 1 month to get all to 4.

I can't disagree with someone if they choose to deviate a bit within that first month, I just recommend that these skills get trained up to help in both near and far future training and capabilities.

Edit- On a side note, I dont recommend any new player dabble in any sort of remaps within the first month or two anyway, but everyone has a different opinion on that.
Last edited by Apollyons One on 2014.05.29 17:24, edited 1 time in total.
Apollyons One

Post by Apollyons One »

Luispo Llaculez wrote:...

Thanks a lot! :D
No problem, let me know if you have any questions.
Marius Labo
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Marius Labo »

Great write-up. I'd suggest adding/editing on this wiki page: http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Recommend ... ew_players
Xael Nocllew

Post by Xael Nocllew »

Requesting a stickie for this awesomeness!
"My King, it is an honor to die by your side."
"It is an honor to have lived by yours."
Apollyons One

Post by Apollyons One »

Marius Labo wrote:Great write-up. I'd suggest adding/editing on this wiki page: http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Recommend ... ew_players
looks like that entire page needs a bit of a rework. A task i may go after one day, but not today. lol
Izmaragd Dawnstar

Post by Izmaragd Dawnstar »

Why no Tactical shield manipulation and/or Shield upgrades? :D
Apollyons One

Post by Apollyons One »

Izmaragd Dawnstar wrote:Why no Tactical shield manipulation and/or Shield upgrades? :D
Shield Upgrades has no direct effect on any of the ships attributes that applies/benefits every ship we enter.

Tactical Shield Manipulation is not a base level skill and is based on chance, not a guaranteed benefit.
Gallastian Khanid

Post by Gallastian Khanid »

I would suggest adding Acceleration Control to that list. It technically doesn't effect 100% of fits, but prop mods are common enough and the bonus is strong enough to make it a critical skill.
Gallastian Khanid wrote:
Chef Xiru wrote:bet on test not even mad

NULLI GOTTA BEAT HYDRA

my wallet demands it!
Betting against Hydra is flushing money down the toilet.
Apollyons One

Post by Apollyons One »

Gallastian Khanid wrote:I would suggest adding Acceleration Control to that list. It technically doesn't effect 100% of fits, but prop mods are common enough and the bonus is strong enough to make it a critical skill.

I agree with your reasoning, and while I agree with the fact that it is a skill 98% of people would use, the purpose of this list is that every skill within has a direct effect on every ship we fly regardless of how it is fit. Every single ship from a shuttle on up through titans gets a benefit from every single one of these skills.

This list can obviously be extended with what most would consider critical skills, but for its purpose I feel is complete as is.
William Telluric

Post by William Telluric »

There are more reasons for those skills, they also unlock all sorts of goodies.
Apollyons One

Post by Apollyons One »

William Telluric wrote:There are more reasons for those skills, they also unlock all sorts of goodies.
All kinds of reasons for these skills, but always lead with the bottom line up-front 8)
Apollyons One

Post by Apollyons One »

One day i hope to be a sticky, one day...