New to EVE? Watch Seamus' "How to Survive EVE" videos!

For general discussion about EVE Online.
Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
Neville Smit
Retired Director
Retired Director

Re: New to EVE? Watch Seamus' "How to Survive EVE" videos!

Post by Neville Smit »

Seamus Donohue wrote:My thanks to Neville for updating the opening post! :D
Our thanks to YOU, Seamus, for updating the content for Odyssey, and for creating these wonderful learning resources.
I am a proud E-UNI Graduate, former Professor and now Director Emeritus. Fly safe! o7
Muadru (Biomassed 2015.06.18)

Post by Muadru (Biomassed 2015.06.18) »

Great job. Absolutely great videos!
"What do you despise? By this you are truly known."
Aurelia Matryoshka

Post by Aurelia Matryoshka »

Couldn't be done better for those, that are to lazy to read patch notes and game forums. :ccp: should be thankfull :)

Btw: Your voice is so distinct and recognizable, that its's easy to take notice when you speak on mumble or in classes. Imo... the voice of EVE-UNI :wink:
Seamus Donohue
Title: Professor, Living Encyclopedia, Graduate

Post by Seamus Donohue »

The video of my Fanfest Geometry class is up. Be aware that the operator started recording during my last-minute rehearsal, and this was not edited out. Skip to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOpLRs9tB5E#t=1820
Shaft Vain

Post by Shaft Vain »

Seamus Donohue wrote:The video of my Fanfest Geometry class is up. Be aware that the operator started recording during my last-minute rehearsal, and this was not edited out. Skip to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOpLRs9tB5E#t=1820
Awesome information, great and straightforward graphical representations and clear enunciation once again. Thanks for sharing!
Agt Dunham

Post by Agt Dunham »

I remember watching the career tutorial I will have to look for the other video's I thought the career video's were very well done.
Seamus Donohue

Post by Seamus Donohue »

I've finished refilming How to Survive EVE Online. Episode 1 is up on my channel. Episodes 2 and 3 are re-uploading now after a bad-quality conversion accident. Episodes 4, 5, and 6 have been recorded, but not edited.

Further status updates will be on my Twitter feed: https://twitter.com/Seamus_Donohue (Be forewarned, most of it is my inane chatter.)

For those who are curious, the process is this:
1) Use Snapz Pro X to record myself talking into my microphone while I runt he tutorial missions.
2) Wait for Snapz Pro X to convert the recording into a reasonable-size QuickTime Movie. Every 1 minute of video needs 3 minutes of processing for my given settings. (I have to wonder why my 3.33 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon processor is 80% idle for this part.)
3) Use Quicktime Player 7 to listen to the movie file. Cut out any long pauses or sections where the phone rings unexpectedly because I forgot to silence it before recording. Cut out any sections where I fumble around unnecessarily.
4) Extract the microphone track into a separate Quicktime Movie. Open that up in Audacity. Put it through an equalization process that boosts the base and suppresses the treble. This mitigates the worst of my sibilance and has the neat side-effect that it makes me sound like I'm speaking on professional broadcast radio.
5) Re-insert the equalized microphone track back into the QuickTime Movie file using Quicktime Player 7.
6) There is no six.
7) Use Quicktime Player 7 to attach an E-UNI sting to the start of the movie file. (Prior to this, I have to do some sort of video recapture to get the E-UNI sting in a resolution that matches the movie I'm recording, in this case 2048 x 1152; otherwise this Step 7 makes the entire movie the larger resolution and adds white bars to the bottom and side to make up the missing pixels from the smaller resolution.)
8) Have Quicktime Player 7 to export the movie to an MP4. (This is necessary so that the two audio tracks get baked into one audio track. Attempting to upload a video with multiple audio tracks to YouTube causes YouTube to reject all except the first audio track, so typically, my voice disappears from the video.)
9) Upload the MP4 to YouTube.
Jason Yassavi

Post by Jason Yassavi »

Great content, thanks for the tips
Seamus Donohue

Post by Seamus Donohue »

I removed the old versions from the old playlists and shoved the new videos into the old playlists, so the playlist links should not have changed. However, here are the playlist links again, just in case:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... MOPrsFEEHS <-- How to Survive EVE Online

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 9B337870FC <-- The Blood-Stained Stars
Steve Scarlet

Post by Steve Scarlet »

Thanks Neville,

Really handy - great job
Anna Shepart

Post by Anna Shepart »

Demetrius Geeves wrote:
Chase Talor wrote:great videos, they were the reason i applied to and now am in this coroporation.
so a very special "tank you" from me to you.
Same here. Very informative. VERY useful.

Thanks
+1 on this !!!

Also the weekly Q&A sessions http://forum.eveuniversity.org/viewtopi ... 72&t=68845 with Seamus have already become
their honorable space in my calendar.
Seamus Donohue

Post by Seamus Donohue »

In the part of Episode 1 of How To Survive EVE Online where I talk about Medical Clones, I've added a huge mid-screen notice about how clone grades don't exist anymore.
Seamus Donohue

Post by Seamus Donohue »

There was a change in my Real Life circumstances, recently, that has opened up a fair bit of free time for me, so I should be able to post more videos in the near-to-intermediate future.
Croixant
Title: Manager (CCI), "The Most Interesting Man In The World", Graduate, Management

Post by Croixant »

Looking forward to see the new/updated content!

Thanks for providing one of the greatest resources available to new students/players.

Croix
o7

Croixant
CCI Coordinator
Seamus Donohue

Post by Seamus Donohue »

My first video in several months is about the new Blood Raiders cruiser-sized burner mission up for testing on Singularity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQrq2iW36Fw

It's a short video, only 6 minutes, but I'll be making longer videos as I get comfortable with the process again.