New to EVE? Watch Seamus' "How to Survive EVE" videos!

For general discussion about EVE Online.
Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
Neville Smit
Retired Director
Retired Director

New to EVE? Watch Seamus' "How to Survive EVE" videos!

Post by Neville Smit »

Our own EVE University Professor, Seamus Donohue, has recently released a fantastic series of video tutorials entitled "How to Survive EVE".

This entire video series encompasses 7 hours of content, and covers everything a new pilot needs to know to make a good start in EVE - highly recommended to all rookie capsuleers!

You can find these videos here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... MOPrsFEEHS

Well done, Seamus - you've done E-UNI proud.
Last edited by Neville Smit on 2013.06.12 02:28, edited 2 times in total.
I am a proud E-UNI Graduate, former Professor and now Director Emeritus. Fly safe! o7
Alelsa
Title: Honorary Member, [LTI]

Re: New to EVE? Watch Seamus' "How to Survive EVE" videos!

Post by Alelsa »

Amazing effort there by Professor Seamus.

Personally I think we should stuff all these into a DVD/Blu-Ray boxed set to raise some cash for the UNI ;)
Daron Rostar

Post by Daron Rostar »

Hmm..might know a lot (at least in the first episodes), but I'll give them a watch to see if I learn something new.
Nicholas Vigneron

Post by Nicholas Vigneron »

I finished all the career agents before finding these videos, but after watching the first several videos I have already picked up some valuable knowledge. The insights Seamus off-handly gives are a great learning tool.

Thanks for this great introduction to EVE!
Yakumo Chidori

Post by Yakumo Chidori »

Just finished watching all the videos and I can heartily recommend them to all, young or old players alike. There are quite a few nuggets hidden in there that I didn't know up to this day. (Shift-left-click and drag to create weapon groups in the fitting window? Drag ships onto the background to change into them? Etc.)

Looking forward to see what Seamus will come up with for the Incarna update!

EDIT: Incarna took away the drag to background option as far as I am aware... :(
Last edited by Yakumo Chidori on 2011.06.24 17:33, edited 1 time in total.
Seamus Donohue
Title: Professor, Living Encyclopedia, Graduate

Post by Seamus Donohue »

I'm in the process of refilming for the Incarna expansion. However, only the first few episodes are radically different. The career funnel missions haven't changed, at least from what I've seen up to Industry-5 and Business-5.
Crusuo

Post by Crusuo »

Nice! Love the vids! Good for new and old players alike. Thanks!
Seamus Donohue

Post by Seamus Donohue »

I've started uploading the new series and organizing them into a playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlis­t?p=PLB9A647F3121DFC21

At the moment, only the first six episodes are uploaded, but they cover most of what changed in CCP's New Player Experience (that I'm aware of). Everything after episode six is largely the same as before, so if you don't mind the visual disconnect between Station Spinning and Captain's Quarters, then the old video series *should* serve you well until I can finish filming and uploading the new series.

So, a status summary: Episode 6 is uploaded, Episode 19 has been converted to MP4 format (but not uploaded), Episode 22 has been filmed (but not converted to MP4 format).

[edit] There's some sort of glitch with YouTube playlists, right now. I can't seem to reorder a playlist unless I just recently created it. The new playlist is now: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?p=PLB9A647F3121DFC21 [/edit]

[edit #2 - I deleted and recreated the playlist. Why are those two links identical? [/edit]
Yakumo Chidori

Post by Yakumo Chidori »

Seamus made the front page:
Spoiler
News

EVE University Professor Produces Educational Video Series
reported by: ISD Stephan Lau | 2011.06.26 17:21:56

Aldrat, Metropolis - Seamus Donohue, professor at EVE University, has produced a 46-part video guide to a pod pilot's life in New Eden.

Eve University has long-held a reputation for providing capsuleers with an excellent post-licencing education. The instition hosts lectures by both staff and guests alongside practical classes; while they have produced texts and video lessons in the past, this is the most extensive series of holos so far.

Professor Donohue said "The first round of filming was only a few prototype episodes, [filmed on] April 1st and 2nd." In each episode, the Professor undertakes a typical capsuleer task; the film shows his every interaction with the NeoCom, accompanied by an audio track in which Seamus explains what he is doing and why, and shares his thoughts on the activity.

Professor Donohue said "The learning curve for New Eden is infamously steep. Almost outright vertical, one might say. The universe is complicated, so it's easy for a new citizen to become confused."

Zeroniss, the Media Manager for EVE University, felt that the series' publication would benefit both the University and pilots throughout New Eden. "It cements our reputation for excellence in education further and it will inevitably lead to increased recruitment in the long run. I feel that one of the first assumptions made about EVE University is that it is a training institution. Video tutorials is a rarely explored medium of tuition and it is both refreshing and welcoming to see this medium being explored in a fashion that is beneficial not only to EVE University students, but particularly newer citizens [of New Eden]."

The completion and publication of Professor Seamus Donohue's 46-part series teaching the basics of a pilot's life in New Eden means the Professor is now free for other tasks. "I will probably produce one-shot videos on specific subjects, like how to use vessel directional scanners, or how to run a simple manufacturing job at New Eden industrial facilities."
brighteyes888

Post by brighteyes888 »

Yakumo Chidori wrote:Seamus made the front page:
Spoiler
News

EVE University Professor Produces Educational Video Series
reported by: ISD Stephan Lau | 2011.06.26 17:21:56

Aldrat, Metropolis - Seamus Donohue, professor at EVE University, has produced a 46-part video guide to a pod pilot's life in New Eden.

Eve University has long-held a reputation for providing capsuleers with an excellent post-licencing education. The instition hosts lectures by both staff and guests alongside practical classes; while they have produced texts and video lessons in the past, this is the most extensive series of holos so far.

Professor Donohue said "The first round of filming was only a few prototype episodes, [filmed on] April 1st and 2nd." In each episode, the Professor undertakes a typical capsuleer task; the film shows his every interaction with the NeoCom, accompanied by an audio track in which Seamus explains what he is doing and why, and shares his thoughts on the activity.

Professor Donohue said "The learning curve for New Eden is infamously steep. Almost outright vertical, one might say. The universe is complicated, so it's easy for a new citizen to become confused."

Zeroniss, the Media Manager for EVE University, felt that the series' publication would benefit both the University and pilots throughout New Eden. "It cements our reputation for excellence in education further and it will inevitably lead to increased recruitment in the long run. I feel that one of the first assumptions made about EVE University is that it is a training institution. Video tutorials is a rarely explored medium of tuition and it is both refreshing and welcoming to see this medium being explored in a fashion that is beneficial not only to EVE University students, but particularly newer citizens [of New Eden]."

The completion and publication of Professor Seamus Donohue's 46-part series teaching the basics of a pilot's life in New Eden means the Professor is now free for other tasks. "I will probably produce one-shot videos on specific subjects, like how to use vessel directional scanners, or how to run a simple manufacturing job at New Eden industrial facilities."
Famous Donohue! :D
I drink too much.
Nyctef

Post by Nyctef »

brighteyes888 wrote:Famous Donohue! :D
Seamus Donohue

Post by Seamus Donohue »

Meridun

Post by Meridun »

Given how prolific you've been with your tutorials and the wide range of topics that they cover, have you considered adding one for "How to survive the 'How to Survive Eve 'guides"?

You could perhaps go over the large number of guides now available on your Youtube site, some commentary about each, and perhaps words of warning about how not to use it ("Pulling up the combat guides through the In-Game Browser during combat is probably not the best course of action").

/runs away very quickly
Seamus Donohue

Post by Seamus Donohue »

Amaras Altol

Post by Amaras Altol »

Thanks for the links and making the videos.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage