EVE University's Random Tip of the Day

For general discussion about EVE Online.
Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
Seamus Donohue
Title: Professor, Living Encyclopedia, Graduate

Re: EVE University's Random Tip of the Day

Post by Seamus Donohue »

Someone asked me what a good setup would be to use 5 planets to make the Planetary interaction components needed for starbase Fuel Blocks. This was my reply:
Sorry for the delay. I didn’t notice your EVEMail until recently, and since then I had to study the flowchart of planetary commodities at http://fazenda.w-space.org/

I’ll break this down by requested item type.

Coolant: Gas or Storm. Keep it all on one planet.

Oxygen: Gas, Ice, or Storm. Keep it all on one planet. You might be able to combine this with your factory planet. Don’t combine Coolant and Oxygen colonies on one planet, because then you’re pulling up three different raw materials on one colony.

Enriched Uranium: Without a plasma planet, you need Ice or Lava for the Heavy Metals and Barren for the Noble Metals. Export-Import between planets to combine to Enriched Uranium is unavoidable. Noble Metals tend to be low-output, depending upon security level, so you may want to devote the Barren Command Center’s Powergrid to just making Noble Metals and Precious Metals, and handle the Enriched Uranium step on a dedicated factory colony.

Mechanical Parts: You need Base Metals and Noble Metals. The Base Metals can come from Barren, Gas, Lava, or Plasma (and you’re excluding Plasma), so leave the barren for Noble Metals and get the Base Metals from elsewhere. Again, Noble metals may be low-output, so handle the final manufacturing step on a dedicated factory colony.

Robotics: This needs Mechanical Parts, already covered above, and Consumer Electronics. The Consumer Electronics need Heavy metals and Non-CS Crystals, so make that on a Lava planet.

The exact setup depends upon how many of each type of planet you have available. If you have a choice (and we’re still assuming no Plasma), then ideally:

Planet 1: Coolant only. Must be Gas or Storm.
Planet 2: Noble Metals —> Precious Metals only. Must be Barren.
Planet 3: Toxic Metals and Consumer Electronics. Must be Lava. Export an excess of Toxic Metals.
Planet 4: Base Metals —> Reactive Metals only. Must be Gas or Lava.
Planet 5: Oxygen production and advanced processors. Must be Gas, Ice, or Storm. Import Consumer Electronics, Precious metals, Reactive Metals, and Toxic Metals. Manufacture your Mechanical parts, Enriched Uranium, and Robotics here.

Gas and Barren are the most common types, so I anticipate that your difficulty will be in finding a Lava planet.

If you don’t have a Lava or Plasma planet, then making Consumer Electronics and Robotics are completely out of the question. Also, you would need an Ice planet for the Heavy/Toxic Metals to make Enriched Uranium.
Nextoron Sheperd

Post by Nextoron Sheperd »

I found this helpful, can anyone give me any help on what the best Caldari covert Op frig is?
Emmit Laduko

Post by Emmit Laduko »

Nextoron Sheperd wrote:I found this helpful, can anyone give me any help on what the best Caldari covert Op frig is?
This is the sort of question chat.e-uni is for, or the wiki, or at least starting your own thread.

Each race has two CovOps Frigates, each used very very differently. If you look on the wiki you'll see how their bonuses encourage completely different uses: one is bonused completely for scanning, the other is bonused so it can fit Torpedoes (BS weapon) with excellent damage on huge targets. As for which is better ... which is better, a fork or a spoon? Figure out what you want to do and get the ship for it.
Moza Khesanh

Post by Moza Khesanh »

Seamus Donohue wrote:Someone asked me what a good setup would be to use 5 planets to make the Planetary interaction components needed for starbase Fuel Blocks. This was my reply...
Thanks, Seamus! That is a really really helpful post :)
Aza Rivers

Post by Aza Rivers »

Good to know.. I also took the EFT challenge. but yeah no way to hey 10k CPU!
DJ puar

Post by DJ puar »

great tips
Kayte Beckinsale

Post by Kayte Beckinsale »

Clicking the dock but to warp and dock in a station can be a death sentence. Be smart, make a bookmark somewhere more than 5k into the docking ring of a station and warp to that. Blapping is not your friend.
Wone Magicum

Post by Wone Magicum »

Always keep a litter bag on your ship. if it gets full, you can just throw it out the window.
Gaellia Bonaventure

Post by Gaellia Bonaventure »

Great tips, everyone, thank you! :)
Shadim Cho
Title: Freshman

Post by Shadim Cho »

Thanks for the great tips. I'm just getting into PL so that last one about fuel blocks is really useful (I'm making robotics right now, but have some duplicate material supply planets).
Anya en Ruddhisa

Post by Anya en Ruddhisa »

PROTIP: You can turn off the "camera shake when warping or under fire" effect in video options. I can't believe it took me a year to learn this.
SPO | Graduate | LSC | WHC | Mercenary
ImageImageImage
nervos belli, pecuniam infinitam
Tiberius Auduin
Title: LSC Officer, Wanted by Fashion Police, Lieutenant Junior Grade, Graduate

Post by Tiberius Auduin »

Anya en Ruddhisa wrote:PROTIP: You can turn off the "camera shake when warping or under fire" effect in video options. I can't believe it took me a year to learn this.
:shock:
Anya en Ruddhisa

Post by Anya en Ruddhisa »

Tiberius Auduin wrote:
Anya en Ruddhisa wrote:PROTIP: You can turn off the "camera shake when warping or under fire" effect in video options. I can't believe it took me a year to learn this.
Same reaction I had. It's a massive quality-of-life improvement.
SPO | Graduate | LSC | WHC | Mercenary
ImageImageImage
nervos belli, pecuniam infinitam
Aidlywo B'earake

Post by Aidlywo B'earake »

Anya en Ruddhisa wrote:
Tiberius Auduin wrote:
Same reaction I had. It's a massive quality-of-life improvement.
I think I saw that tip in a Seamus Donohue YouTube Vid before I had created my 1st Character 8)

Random Tip of the Day : Watch those You Tube Vid's there is still good stuff in there ... and the new Wormhole Fundementals ones ;)
Graduate | Explorer
Mentor | WHC | Solitude

Time and Patience are a Capsuleers strongest Weapons
Cerulean Ice

Post by Cerulean Ice »

Make sure you read all notices carefully when they pop up. It can sometimes mean the difference between losing some slaves to customs police, or losing your entire ship to customs police. RIP Crane :pinkiesad: