EVE University's Random Tip of the Day

For general discussion about EVE Online.
Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
Kyrrant
Title: AMC Officer, Spai Hunter Extraordinaire, Graduate, Management

Re: EVE University's Random Tip of the Day

Post by Kyrrant »

Cerulean Ice wrote:Make sure you read all notices carefully when they pop up. It can sometimes mean the difference between losing some slaves to customs police, or losing your entire ship to customs police. RIP Crane :pinkiesad:
Now that sounds like a fun story....
ImageImageImage
Victor Corlleone
Title: Sophomore

Post by Victor Corlleone »

The best tip I can give at this time is: Never sell itens without looking the prices :lol:

There are lot of buyers offering very low prices, probably trying to fish some unadvised insta-sellers. :wink:
Victor Corlleone
"Move like a beam of light; Fly like lightning, Strike like thunder, Whirl in circles around a stable center." - Morihei Ueshiba
Jaha Preynar
Title: Graduate

Post by Jaha Preynar »

CLEAN CLONE.

No seriously.

Clean Clone
Clean Clone
Clean Clone
Clean Clone!!!

If you think losing a shiny ship is hard to swallow.... Try getting podded with 1/2 bil plugged in because you "forgot" to clean clone... or you thought... I have my pod-saver skills practice... or .. the route looks safe.....

CLEEEEEEEAAAAAN CLOOONNNEEEEEE
C. L. E. A. N.
C. L. O. N. E,

Fly Safe, Have Fun
Tutus volant, habere ludicrum
-Jaha
Image Image Image ImageImageImage Image Image ImageImageImage

ImageImage Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image Image Image
Glen Burney
Title: Manager (LSC), Fittings staff, Ensign, Sophomore, Management

Post by Glen Burney »

This is my favorite tip:

Don't die.

There are many many ways NOT to die in Eve!

Say you are in a fleet at a gate somewhere, and a fight is about to go down. Your FC starts to call out primaries, and you notice that you are getting targeted, and start taking damage. Do you:

a) Follow FC orders and start engaging enemies, or
b) Quietly disobey your FC, tank the enemy damage for a while, and at the last moment, jump the gate?

If you chose B, you are creatively NOT DIEING in Eve. You have wasted the enemies time and attention. You have denied the fleet a kill! You can now burn back to the gate on the other side, jump back through, and re-join the fight! Even better if your logi can try to hold you up for as long as possible.

Now, as another example: Say you are in a tackle ship, interceptor or T1 Frig, or even a heavy tackle cruiser. You are first to arrive tackling a larger ship that has engaged you. You land a point, maybe do a scram pass, but his drones are all over you. Someone calls secondary tackle. Do you:

a) Immediately warp off,
b) Align to a bookmark or celestial, overheat MWD, and kite his drones out to 100km,
c) A or B, depending on the damage you are taking

The answer is, of course, C. Optimal not-dying is very situation-dependent. There are many, many factors, including your ships tank, the type of damage incoming (you may need to manually "Spiral Out" to maximize transversal).

Do NOT fall victim to the "Hero Complex"! Sometimes the hero tackle dies, and there's nothing to be done about it, and one might even say the trade-off is worth it, especially for a nice juicy blingy kill for the fleet. But you are FAR more valuable to your fleet ALIVE. A dead scout / tackle can be a big problem for a fleet, removing a critical source of intelligence for the FC.

A pilot should NEVER feel like they are obligated to stay in a fight if under pressure. Live and fight another day, even if that blingy ship gets away. Reshipping can really be a sucky prospect, and a fleet without tackle can have a hard time hunting and holding prey.

Thanks for your time, and fly dangerous (and fly safe)!

ImageImageImage
Most all-time kills by a Unista, more than 14k ships exploded, 4k more than the next best (heart Kelon)
Turhan Bey
Retired Director
Retired Director
Title: Director of Logistics, Professor, ILN Captain, Server Admin

Post by Turhan Bey »

Glen Burney wrote:This is my favorite tip:
Don't die.
There are many many ways NOT to die in Eve!
I feel morally obligated to also let players who don't already know, know about the many many ways to, in fact, die.
ImageImageImage
"The first mistake most gameplay zealots make is thinking that the game should revolve around them. The second is believing that it already does."
"Maybe it's just a game. Or perhaps it's a world. Perhaps it's a community. One thing is for certain: If it's only a game to you, then that is all it will ever be."
Sagittarius Griffins
Title: Sophomore

Post by Sagittarius Griffins »

"Safer" Jita docking protocol:

1. Set Jita 4-4 as destination when in system
2. Manually warp to station instadock BM
3. Activate autopilot while in warp
4. ????
5. Profit
6. There is no rule six
Ernesto Guevarti

Post by Ernesto Guevarti »

Sagittarius Griffins wrote:"Safer" Jita docking protocol:
1. Use an OOC
Fixed that for you
Cassiel Seraphim
Title: Speaker of Truth, Timelord, Graduate

Post by Cassiel Seraphim »

Ernesto Guevarti wrote:
Sagittarius Griffins wrote:"Safer" Jita docking protocol:
1. Use an OOC
Fixed that for you
True, but the rest is good practice for everyone, including out of corp characters.
Leitsu Honam
Title: Orientation Officer, Sophomore

Post by Leitsu Honam »

Should you buy Faction charges outright, or do it the "normal" way and use LP?

If you don't care much about LP, buy standard charges then convert.

Using Fed Navy Antimatter as an example: http://www.evepraisal.com/a/gx77u
Buying Fed Navy is over 25 mil, while buying standard is only just under 4 mil. (DODIXIE PRICES)
"But what about the price to convert the standard to faction?"

Great question! You can graph the costs of the ammo like this (where x is the amount of ammo you buy) : $$ Fed Navy Cost = 1289 x $$ $$ Standard Cost = 196x + \frac {x}{5000}(2400000) $$

Using these formulas, we see that you'll be able to save about 50%!

Let's get more nerdy. We know that prices fluctuate all around New Eden. But there is a way to tell if buying standard still saves money!
If this is true: $$ \frac {CostOfStandard}{CostOfFaction} < .6 $$ then you will save money.

Again, if you DO care about LP, then go ahead and buy the faction ammo. But if you don't, save money and buy standard!

((If some of the math doesn't make sense feel free to ask/correct me))
Franc Severasse

Post by Franc Severasse »

So here's a completely random tip of the day, which I actually think is a pretty good one.... When I was in school I studied economics, and one of the ideas we discussed was the idea of Opportunity Costs. You should keep this idea of opportunity cost in mind whenever you do something, in eve, or in real life even.

What does that mean exactly, you might ask? Well economically speaking, an opportunity cost is the next best thing you could be doing with a limited resource. This concept, I believe, is what EvE is all about. So think about some things, if you weren't spending your time playing EVE to mine resources for production, what else could you be doing? Could you be spending time with your spouse/honey, building a model, playing with your kids, or even walking the dog. How much do you value those activities? How much do you value PVP vs Mining? Vs. PVE? Just keep the idea of opportunity cost in mind when you're playing Eve, because it's a game, and games are supposed to be fun. I know it sounds like a stupid thing to consider but, If you're stuck doing something you don't enjoy then maybe that 2 million isk you just made mining veldspar actually costs you more than you think....
Cassiel Seraphim
Title: Speaker of Truth, Timelord, Graduate

Post by Cassiel Seraphim »

Franc Severasse wrote:I know it sounds like a stupid thing to consider but, If you're stuck doing something you don't enjoy then maybe ...
Not stupid at all, highly relevant. Also remember that different people put different values on things, so what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. So as with all things in EVE "it depends".

My favourite application of this is convenience cost, which ultimately is the same thing you're talking about. I buy things at a slight markup where I am because the extra cost is worth it for me, as it means I save the time it takes me to go buy it where it's cheap. Time I can use for more fun things both ingame or out. Same reason I subscribe instead of buying PLEX to keep my omega status. I could make the ISK for it, but I'd rather pay for it and spend that time actually playing and doing what I want instead of chasing ISK. Again, convenience costs :)
Tanko Potomus

Post by Tanko Potomus »

Along the same vein of opportunity cost, remember that while it may seem better to mine for resources that you can then convert into parts/hulls because it'll overall be cheaper than buying what you want from the market, that time you spend mining and building parts is also a "cost". So think of Y = time, or hours spent obtaining traveling to and from market and X = money, or cost in ISK of your purchase.

If purchasing directly, your total cost is a relatively smaller Y and relatively higher X, when compared to getting the resources yourself, where your total cost is a relatively larger Y and a relatively small X.

Finally, you can consider what was said above, that not only are you spending Y time collecting resources, but you're also spending Y time NOT doing something else that could be more profitable (i.e., gain you more ISK/hour, that could offset the ISK you saved by not buying directly from the market).

-Tanko
Lockey813

Post by Lockey813 »

Don’t be afraid to fail, it’s ok to lose your ship - make notes on what happened and what you can do different next time. I used to get discouraged when I lost a ship, now I just write it off as well that didn’t work, let’s give it another try :shock:
Dain Tarkus

Post by Dain Tarkus »

Don't buy 40 Large Skill Injectors, put them in your Corvette, and then undock from Jita unless you want to become famous.

https://zkillboard.com/kill/83264532/

That guy might need a hug.
Royce007

Post by Royce007 »

Do not ever be inattentive when you're in a Gila, ever. It hurts ;_;

https://zkillboard.com/kill/86107488/
I am me...