EVE University's Random Tip of the Day

For general discussion about EVE Online.
Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
Seamus Donohue
Title: Professor, Living Encyclopedia, Graduate

Re: Seamus Donohue's Random Tip of the Day

Post by Seamus Donohue »

On an unrelated note, I haven't been keeping up with this thread because when I'm not playing EVE, I've been making more videos to put on my YouTube channel.
Meridun

Post by Meridun »

Seamus Donohue wrote:On an unrelated note, I haven't been keeping up with this thread because when I'm not playing EVE, I've been making more videos to put on my YouTube channel.
So, would you say that your Tip of the Day is to watch the videos in your youtube channel? :P
Seamus Donohue

Post by Seamus Donohue »

Meridun wrote:So, would you say that your Tip of the Day is to watch the videos in your youtube channel? :P
I hadn't considered that. :P
Seamus Donohue

Post by Seamus Donohue »

My extra videos, to date, may be found here:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC09EB7E88FB25E5E
Seamus Donohue

Post by Seamus Donohue »

Seamus Donohue's First Random Tip of the Day: If you're going to have your own stickied Random Tip of the Day thread, then don't let it slide for a month.

Seamus Donohue's Second Random Tip of the Day: Don't carry so much stuff in your cargohold or modules that you're profitable enough to be suicide-ganked for.

If an artillery Thrasher gang is used against you, then the breakeven limit for the suicide gankers is 1500 ISK worth of stuff on your ship per effective hit point. This is more common for ganking Tech 1 and Tech 2 Industrials, since each Thrasher could probably do 1400 pre-resistance damage before CONCORD shows up. Blockade Runners should, of course, be cloaking upon breaking gatecloak, but sometimes you emerge right next to an AFK freighter and can't engage your Covert Ops Cloaking Device II.

If an artillery-and-torpedo Tempest gang is used against you, then the breakeven limit is 6000 ISK per effective hit point. This is more common for freighters and faction-fit missionrunning battleships.

Remember that each module and each stack of cargo has about a 50% chance of surviving in the wreckage.
Bairfhionn Isu
Retired Director
Retired Director

Post by Bairfhionn Isu »

Seamus Donohue wrote:Seamus Donohue's First Random Tip of the Day: If you're going to have your own stickied Random Tip of the Day thread, then don't let it slide for a month.

Seamus Donohue's Second Random Tip of the Day: Don't carry so much stuff in your cargohold or modules that you're profitable enough to be suicide-ganked for.

If an artillery Thrasher gang is used against you, then the breakeven limit for the suicide gankers is 1500 ISK worth of stuff on your ship per effective hit point. This is more common for ganking Tech 1 and Tech 2 Industrials, since each Thrasher could probably do 1400 pre-resistance damage before CONCORD shows up. Blockade Runners should, of course, be cloaking upon breaking gatecloak, but sometimes you emerge right next to an AFK freighter and can't engage your Covert Ops Cloaking Device II.

If an artillery-and-torpedo Tempest gang is used against you, then the breakeven limit is 6000 ISK per effective hit point. This is more common for freighters and faction-fit missionrunning battleships.

Remember that each module and each stack of cargo has about a 50% chance of surviving in the wreckage.
Is that an average? Do those values differ depending on the sec status of the system?
"Yes. You're good at EVE." --Whisky

I WANT PONIES ON MY SPACESHIPS! :pinkiesmile:
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Seamus Donohue

Post by Seamus Donohue »

I based the calculations on 0.5 security, where the response time is 15 seconds.
Almighty Moe

Seamus Donohue's Random Tip of the Day

Post by Almighty Moe »

Does having security containers in the cargo hold or an Orca with a corporate hanger help at all? The latter I have not ever seen, only read about in a forum, so only speculating assuming I read it correctly.
Gath Ra'nan

Post by Gath Ra'nan »

Almighty Moe wrote:Does having security containers in the cargo hold or an Orca with a corporate hanger help at all? The latter I have not ever seen, only read about in a forum, so only speculating assuming I read it correctly.
Basically you care about whether the potential ganker can see what you're carrying and whether he'll be able to retrieve what drops (with an alt) after the gank.

Secure containers are still scannable by players and still drop, so won't help much. A container inside a courier contract wrapper is unscannable, but afaik still drops. The Orca's corporate hanger is unscannable by players and does not drop loot, making those ships particularly popular for carrying large-ish high value cargo around hi-sec.

Until a recent patch, the Orca's corp hangar was also unscannable by NPCs, making it a great smuggling boat. This is no longer the case.
Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Combat · Sir Ninja-Edits-a-Lot · Ribbons
Caristan Leyna

Post by Caristan Leyna »

Gath Ra'nan wrote:
Almighty Moe wrote:Does having security containers in the cargo hold or an Orca with a corporate hanger help at all? The latter I have not ever seen, only read about in a forum, so only speculating assuming I read it correctly.
Basically you care about whether the potential ganker can see what you're carrying and whether he'll be able to retrieve what drops (with an alt) after the gank.

Secure containers are still scannable by players and still drop, so won't help much. A container inside a courier contract wrapper is unscannable, but afaik still drops. The Orca's corporate hanger is unscannable by players and does not drop loot, making those ships particularly popular for carrying large-ish high value cargo around hi-sec.

Until a recent patch, the Orca's corp hangar was also unscannable by NPCs, making it a great smuggling boat. This is no longer the case.
Another "container inside another container" instance that is unscannable, besides wrapping a secure container inside a courier contract container, is putting a courier contract container inside another courier contract container (achieved by setting an item(s) through 2 different courier contracts). But as Gath mentioned, both instances of "container inside another container" can have a chance to drop when the ship carrying it is destroyed, unlike orca corp hangar which is unscannable and also won't drop its content if the ship is destroyed.

The "secure" part of the secure container will NOT help at all with protecting your cargo when being hauled around by a ship. Even if you set a password on said secure container, the looter can just loot the container and repackage the container inside a station, and the items will be spit out. The "secure" part of the container will only protect its content when it is anchored in space and then passworded, not when used to ship things around.
Marvin Senitia

Post by Marvin Senitia »

Gortois Aulmais wrote:
On this topic, if you fly a cloaky at all, something to get good at is nailing the timing for "jump, break gatecloak, cloak". You can't activate any modules while gatecloaked, so you can't just turn on your normal cloaking device. What you need to do is break gatecloak by moving, aligning, starting to warp, etc, then as fast as possible, turn on your cloak. If done right, you're exposed for about .25/.5 seconds or so, which I think is about as low as one can reasonably get. You're then free to move about the cabin. I mean warp about the system.
The reason for that is that the server execute actions in 1 second intervals as such if you try to cloak up after you've given the align / warp-to command but before the server tick has gone off and told your client it's uncloaked you'll get this.

There seems to be a delay once your grid has loaded till the first mouse click registers, I have no idea what causes it. Interesting enough you can initiate warp from the fleet broadcast widow if the system has loaded (system name changed at top left) but the grid has not yet loaded. I'm not sure if it's something my latency makes easier or how long it generally take between system and grid load for others.
Seryl Bo

Post by Seryl Bo »

Marvin Senitia wrote: Interesting enough you can initiate warp from the fleet broadcast widow if the system has loaded (system name changed at top left) but the grid has not yet loaded.
You can perform many actions before the grid and overview loads, including initiating warp to a member of your watchlist. Very handy for when you're given a jumpjumpjump and warp to scout/cloaky/bait. The extra second or two can make all the difference.
Seamus Donohue

Post by Seamus Donohue »

Seamus Donohue wrote:Seamus Donohue's First Random Tip of the Day: If you're going to have your own stickied Random Tip of the Day thread, then don't let it slide for a month.
Right, that was almost 4 weeks ago. I need a filler. Uhhh....

If you're going to AFK mission, then don't do it in a mission where spawn waves might eat drones.
Seamus Donohue

Post by Seamus Donohue »

Seamus Donohue's Random Tip of the Day:

Caldari Epic Arc, Mission "Their Loss, Our Profit" - The gigantic Large Collidable Object that looks like a station is your target. Ignore the Spawn Container on your overview, it's useless; ignore the body inside the container, it's useless.

Oh, and expect Serpentis sensor dampening.
Cerulean Ice

Post by Cerulean Ice »

What if I want to collect the body inside the container?