Agent Rangefinder 2

Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
<<

Turhan Bey

Portrait

Retired Director
Retired Director

Post 2010.12.16 04:20

Agent Rangefinder 2

The Agent Rangefinder tool has been upgraded to version 2.0. The URL is still the same, so users of version 1.0 will see the new version right away.

New features:

- Accordion interface to avoid clutter. It also removes the need for filtering by level/type/security, since it never displays the entire list at once.
- A few other minor interface updates, including an E-UNI-ish color scheme.
- Optional API standings data interface which will "gray out" agents not immediately available to you.
- And a whole new slew of bugs, I'm sure.

----
UPDATE: This tool was written back when there was no in-game Agent Finder. It is still being made available because many people still like to use it for quick, non-detailed searches.
Last edited by Turhan Bey on 2011.05.25 22:30, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
"The first mistake most gameplay zealots make is thinking that the game should revolve around them. The second is believing that it already does."
"Maybe it's just a game. Or perhaps it's a world. Perhaps it's a community. One thing is for certain: If it's only a game to you, then that is all it will ever be."
<<

Seamus Donohue

Portrait

Post 2010.12.16 05:10

Re: Agent Rangefinder 2.0

Very nice, thank you!
<<

Jimqi101

Portrait

Post 2010.12.16 05:35

That API thing is awesome I don't have to run around half the cluster looking for agents I can actually use anymore =)
<<

Skeed Revilo

Portrait

Post 2010.12.16 09:21

What can I do to thank you? Srsly
You know when you've been Tengu'd
<<

Ibrahas

Portrait

Post 2010.12.16 15:34

Very nice thanks man.
-Ibrahas-
VETO #204

I fly a starship across the Universe divide....
<<

Jokine

Portrait

Post 2010.12.16 16:18

Yay! Rangefinder<sliced bread
<<

Braetac Toric

Portrait

Post 2010.12.17 03:36

Wow... this is nice... I never even saw 1.0 =-(

I understand the "greyed out" ones... but what is the difference in the once that show up orange... compared to the ones that show up white?
<<

Kelduum Revaan

Portrait

Retired Director
Retired Director

Post 2010.12.17 07:22

Wow, I am very impressed!

I'm thinking this needs some more publicity :)
----------- What I'm up to: http://twitter.com/kelduum ------------
<<

selexus

Portrait

Post 2010.12.17 09:44

Braetac Toric wrote:Wow... this is nice... I never even saw 1.0 =-(

I understand the "greyed out" ones... but what is the difference in the once that show up orange... compared to the ones that show up white?

Low sec agents.
I think i'm right in saying 0.0 agents are red ?

Will everybody just STOP getting shot !!!

<<

Turhan Bey

Portrait

Retired Director
Retired Director

Post 2010.12.17 09:45

Braetac Toric wrote:...I never even saw 1.0 =-(

For those who still want to use the old tool, for example to have just a flat list so that you can copy and paste it (e.g. it was originally made to create the old Missioner's Guides to Korsiki and Aldrat) then you can still find it at:

EDIT: This old version of the tool no longer works due to changes in the SDE that were made years ago. ARF2 still works, though.

Braetac Toric wrote:...what is the difference in the once that show up orange... compared to the ones that show up white?

Security of the agent's system. Press the "Help" button for info. :)

selexus wrote:I think i'm right in saying 0.0 agents are red ?

Yep! (If you're reading this and wondering what they're talking about, try looking for agents within 2 jumps of the Orvolle system.)
ImageImageImage
"The first mistake most gameplay zealots make is thinking that the game should revolve around them. The second is believing that it already does."
"Maybe it's just a game. Or perhaps it's a world. Perhaps it's a community. One thing is for certain: If it's only a game to you, then that is all it will ever be."
<<

Turhan Bey

Portrait

Retired Director
Retired Director

Post 2010.12.17 22:26

Grr, it's been discovered that WebKit-based browsers (which includes Chrome, Safari, and the EVE IGB) don't preserve sorting when importing JSON data. What this means for the end-user is that the Corporations List won't be sorted when using these browsers. :( It sorts fine in other browsers, though, such as Gecko-based Firefox.

I'll see if I can code in a workaround for this sometime, since most users will be using the IGB.
ImageImageImage
<<

Turhan Bey

Portrait

Retired Director
Retired Director

Post 2010.12.18 00:55

Upgraded to version 2.0.1:

- properly sorts the Corp List in the IGB and other WebKit-based (and should be all other) browsers
- L1Q0 and below are always listed as available
- definite articles do not affect sorting (i.e. "the")
ImageImageImage
<<

Hekwan

Portrait

Post 2010.12.18 07:44

Thanks for this, it's pretty cool!
˙ssǝןǝsn ɯɐ ı 'ǝɹnʇɐubıs ʎɯ ʇnoɥʇıʍ ˙ssǝןǝsn sı ǝɹnʇɐubıs ʎɯ 'ǝɯ ʇnoɥʇıʍ ˙puǝıɹɟ ʇsǝq ʎɯ sı ǝɹnʇɐubıs ʎɯ ˙ǝuıɯ sı ǝuo sıɥʇ ʇnq 'ʇı ǝʞıן sɹǝɥʇo ʎuɐɯ ǝɹɐ ǝɹǝɥʇ ˙ǝɹnʇɐubıs ʎɯ sı sıɥʇ
<<

Seamus Donohue

Portrait

Post 2010.12.19 05:48

Two suggestions come to mind.

1) Is it possible to have the Agent Rangefinder determine for a given Storyline Agent which regular agents see it as "closest" (according to number of jumps)? Also keep in mind that a HighSec regular agent will ignore LowSec/NullSec Storyline Agents.

2) How difficult is it to remove an agent entry from the database, assuming you knew a priori the name of the agent to be removed from the database?
<<

Turhan Bey

Portrait

Retired Director
Retired Director

Post 2010.12.19 20:42

Seamus Donohue wrote:1) Is it possible to have the Agent Rangefinder determine for a given Storyline Agent which regular agents see it as "closest" (according to number of jumps)? Also keep in mind that a HighSec regular agent will ignore LowSec/NullSec Storyline Agents.

I considered this, but unfortunately it isn't at all trivial, and worse it would bring the processing latency to unbearable levels for large (i.e. 5 or greater) scan ranges. The problem is that it has to calculate paths for all agents to all storyline agents, that it finds. Something like that would be better left to a different, dedicated tool. Good idea, though.

Seamus Donohue wrote:2) How difficult is it to remove an agent entry from the database, assuming you knew a priori the name of the agent to be removed from the database?

All the data is pulled from a datadump. So any exceptions would need to be stored in a custom "exceptions database" and compared. (We don't want to "customize" the official datadump itself.) It would be easy to create and use, but it would be kind of a hassle to maintain, or more accurately, to write the utility that allows someone to maintain it.
ImageImageImage
Next

Return to EVE Discussion