help

For general discussion about EVE Online.
Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
wintergrasp

help

Post by wintergrasp »

I picked up eve about a month ago and have been playing obsessively. I have always been a science fiction fan and have played other competitive strategy games most of my life so eve is the perfect fit for me. The problem is that I now find myself rushing into a 20 year old game with no community to play with.

I began with mining solo since its an easy activity to do while I researched other parts of the game, but after getting suicide ganked I decided to try it myself and found that flying two destroyers around as a criminal was much more exciting than drone or fleet mining. Feel free to consider me a scumbag for griefing, just remember that as a new player I am imitating what I see veterans doing for fun and content. Being irresponsible and addicted Ive ended up with 5 OMEGA accounts within my first month or so of play, 3 catalyst pilots, a scout and an ORCA for the outlaws to board destroyers from. Ive also dumped a ton of cash for skill boost and plex.

Now at this point I became frustrated: in order to find good targets I went to HEK and the surrounding area and for a while had success, but I got worn out. Not being able to dock at stations, faction police, Getting stalked by anti-gankers, not having a corp to support me, the cost of everything being atleast 10% more than jita. I understand that its possible to repair security status I have not yet looked into this.

I enjoy ganking in high sec and see myself doing it in the future but right now I think its time I take one of my characters into low or null to do more normal productive PVP or even just exploration, at this point I am frustrated and burnt out, I have inquired many ACTIVE pirate alliances and pvp corporations and been gatekept which is fine by me, if I was a veteran criminal player I wouldnt want a NOOB slowing me down either. Turns out being an outlaw with no friends is tough.

I dont know what response to expect on this post. For now I am simply looking for some guidance on how to have some pvp fun, maybe comment a brawly pvp catalyst fit that uses light neutron blasters II and ill try taking it to low sec and get blown up atleast then I wont be ganking helpless noob miners right? Or alternatively tell me what other hull I should skill into for pvp

sincerely a lost noob player

https://zkillboard.com/character/2121343724/
Jilokari Kurvora
Retired Director
Retired Director
Title: CEO, The Architect, 24/7 Mental

Re: help

Post by Jilokari Kurvora »

Hi wintergrasp and welcome to the Uni.

I think it important to let you know that High Sec Ganking isn’t a mechanic that you will be able to explore with us as our Rules of Engagment only allow you to attack specific statuses : https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/EVE_Univ ... Engagement, mainly those who are bad standing with the Uni or already “flashy” due to criminal actions.

That aside there are lots of ways we can help through PvP, first I’d recommend applying for a mentor:,https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Mentor_Program they will help guide you and help you grasp the basics of the game, and you can get one who is PvP focused.

If you haven’t already I’d also suggest hanging out in mumble to ask questions and build your own network, our members are always willing to lend a helping hand or suggestions that will support your learning.

We are also about to launch a PvP study group, I’d recommend you join that when we launch as it will help you get to grips with the basics of PvP and connect you to others with that interest.

I hope that this helps

Jilo o7
Former CEO of EVE University
He/Him
Victyrael > Jilokari Kurvora: the choice of lighting is inspired as it neatly highlights both your avatar and the background without being obnoxious. Your pose artistically emulates someone popping into the office to check if anyone would like a coffee - this nicely highlights the intention to employ a 'serve to lead' mentality. The wardrobe choices are inspired; like the Top Gun franchise crashed into a prostate exam instructional video. 9.7/10.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Arkady Marten
Production Manager
Production Manager

Post by Arkady Marten »

tl;dr - welcome to the Uni, come see what we are like, and find friends and new ways of getting your PvP itch satisfied!

Eve is an incredibly diverse game. And with no preset progression to an end goal in it, we all have to forge our own path and define personal measures of success. For some PvP oriented players, I'm sure one of their main goals is just to have an impressive killboard. For others, it might be more about having a good time while out hunting and fighting. Or hanging out on voice comms with fellow players and talk smack about their victims. No judgement there from my side!

What I'm taking away from your post is that likely the gameplay niche you had yourself set up in was simply too small to sustain your interest in the long run. Some players enjoy a specific activity so much that they can do it day after day and be satisfied. Others like me, and I suspect you too, are in it more for the variety, doing different things over time, coming back to earlier activities, but seeing them in a new light, sometimes logging in for the day with no idea yet what you will end up doing, happy to be spontaneous and respond to whatever is happening around you. I started like many players doing a bit of missioning in highsec at first, some exploration, then started going into lowsec to rat and mine, encountering my first few PvP situations, and found the aspect of constant danger so exciting that I ended up living in lowsec full-time for quite a while. I also joined the Uni then, being interested in talking with others who enjoyed this way of in-game life. The "click" hooking me to the game happened after I started hanging out with other corp members in what was then our lowsec campus, going on small-gang PvP roams and pouncing on more experienced players with cheap ships and our numbers advantage.

I cannot stress it enough, and CCP highlights this constantly as well: For the vast majority of players, being in a corp with like-minded people makes all the difference between losing interest in the game and continuing to play it for months and years!

So you've decided to give Eve University a try? Not the worst choice you could have made, in my humble opinion! Our corp has the benefit of being incredibly broad, with players active in pretty much all areas of gameplay you can imagine. Since we have no mandatory activities or expectations that our members should all be into x, we have the freedom to spend our time in the game doing whatever we want (within our rules of conduct), whether that be the same thing again and again or a different thing day after day. And likely have many other people around us who are into our current interests also. Because we are by our very nature a learning corp, not knowing something is never considered a failing. So (with very few, justified exceptions) no gatekeeping in the Uni, ever! And if at some point you feel like continuing your path through Eve in another corp, having the Uni in your corp history will open doors rather than close them.

In regards to your specific questions, to add to what Jilo has already mentioned,
  • we have a weekly Fight Club where pilots go up against each other in T1 frigates and talk about the fights afterward in order to get better at PvP,
  • the Faction Warfare changes introduced a new way for players to be active in lowsec and made going on fleets there much more interesting (and profitable!) - there are any number of Uni fleets going out week after week,
  • roaming around lowsec looking for 1v1 fights is very viable too, as long as you are prepared to lose ships,
  • other types of PvP fleets are also taking place frequently in the Uni, and any one of us can just announce a fleet and go run it, there are no requirements there,
  • we are allowed to, and a number of our members regularly do, attend public PvP fleets such as Bomber's Bar, EBWF, and other not-purple-shoot-it (NPSI) groups,
  • when the Uni has been war-decced, or a corp is coming to threaten our structures, we form quite sizeable strategic operations fleets that feel very different compared to the usual just-for-fun PvP roams - the energy during these ops is always incredible, and becoming involved in strat-ops and perhaps even rising to the level of senior fleet commander (FC) can be a great longer-term goal for an ambitious player,
  • in our staging areas outside highsec, there is always the chance for a QRF (quick response fleets to hostile / neutral pilots in the area) where everybody is encouraged to participate and even lead, if they want,
  • if you go on our Discord and ask about PvP fits, you'll definitely get people weighing in - how to fit ships for this and that activity is a big interest to many of our members, and some come with an incredible amount of knowledge in 1v1 or fleet PvP,
  • we have people in our ranks who've participated in official Eve tournaments in the past (including yours truly) and have connections to groups who are regularly training for and participating in them.
I hope I've been able to paint a picture of our corp that shows a multitude of ways for PvP-interested players to get involved and have a good time. The main aspect to all of it is and remains that having other players around you doing these things with you is what makes it fun in the end! Even 1v1 PvP is better if you are on voice comms with others to either celebrate or commiserate, depending!

Lastly, specifically regarding highsec ganking: As Jilo mentioned, we are not allowed to do this on our Uni toons. That is a conscious decision by the corp, understandably taken to not push newer players away who might be put off if we had a reputation for engaging in it. It does not mean however that we take a moral stance against it. Our members may have a wide range of views on it, but as a corp, we simply acknowledge that it is a part of the game, full stop.

We actually had a leader of a ganking group give a guest lecture on highsec ganking in the past, where we then had the opportunity to go out in non-Uni alts and join them for a few hours of active ganking. I absolutely cherish the killmail I got during one of those ganks! Not only was it interesting to see what goes on behind the scenes in a ganker's setup and the many ways in which a gank can ultimately fail, but there's also the aspect that if you know more about how it works from the other side, you can be better prepared to avoid it if you so wish. A longterm Uni player also joined one of the well-known ganking groups after leaving our corp, but he still maintains ties with us and is happy to interact with our members when they have questions about highsec ganking.

Perhaps you end up having a hard time letting go of the thrill you experienced doing stuff on the criminal side of Eve when starting out. What to do then? In my view, the next best thing is to go gatecamping in lowsec! And as members of the Uni, we are not only allowed to do this freely, many of us actually wish we did it more often! "Filthy lowsec pirate" is a term of endearment not just to me! If I had more time to actually play the game (the curse of being a Uni staff member and working behind the scenes, lol), I'd be out forming up gatecamping fleets day after day. Maybe you can be our new great Uni lowsec gatecamp FC?
Image Image
wintergrasp

Post by wintergrasp »

Jilokari Kurvora wrote: 2023.07.30 08:46 Hi wintergrasp and welcome to the Uni.
Hello thank you for the welcome. My main joined the corp today and ill be looking to participate in the mumble and look into the mentor program as well. I will make an effort to develop into a more well rounded player and appreciate the infrastructure you have available for learning, the wiki alone has provided me with a wealth of information and I am glad to have joined the corp.
Arkady Marten wrote: 2023.07.30 11:49 tl;dr - welcome to the Uni, come see what we are like, and find friends and new ways of getting your PvP itch satisfied!
hey thank you for the long response. You have given me so much useful information and I will make sure to explore the opportunities you have detailed. I will return to read this post many times as I progress through EVE and will look back on the guidance you have given me here. After your response I am left with a feeling of direction and a renewed motivation to explore new avenues of gameplay.

Cheers to both of you