Newbro with a self-imposed challange

For general discussion about EVE Online.
Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
Pythos Euler

Newbro with a self-imposed challange

Post by Pythos Euler »

Joined E-Uni the other week and I'm making this post just to share a bit about myself (and so I can progress to freshman <3)

Been playing for about a month now and I have been taking a weird approach when it comes to the game. I've limited myself to making ISK exclusively through manufacturing, invention and hauling.

Many of you might think I am mad (which I am), but I am a spreadsheet person with a passion for seeing numbers go up.

The early days were very hard, but now that I have my footing my margins are growing and I have a solid routine to check in once or twice a day.

A lot of people think isk/hour is a bad measure of how much fun you are having. But with industry, I can focus on minmaxing without throwing my life away. For me, isk/day == fun/day.

Wish me luck, I know I'll need it,

Pythos Euler
Jane Botasky

Re: Newbro with a self-imposed challange

Post by Jane Botasky »

1. You're mad
2. Good for you, whatever makes you enjoy the game :)
3. Good luck!
Kalena Corbin

Post by Kalena Corbin »

Keep that spirit and let us know how you are progressing.

Remember it won't be a straight line up :)
Tealson Darkstar

Post by Tealson Darkstar »

Consider that Planetary Industry (aka: PI) is a passive way of producing some materials that are used in industry. While utilizing materials that you produce yourself is still an (opportunity) cost in your manufacturing calculations (since what you extract could have been sold straight for ISK instead of using it yourself), it might provide you with a bit of flexibility once it's set-up. It has extremely low time commitments and can help you more easily handle issues around margins you might sometimes have since you're producing it yourself. Not to mention whatever you decide to do with the excess materials you don't really use, which can be used to reinvest into more (and possibly more expensive) industry projects.

PI is definitely industry-adjacent and passive, which is why I suggest it. But if extracting some of your own materials for low effort feels like it's violating your self-imposed restrictions, then feel free to ignore this.
Pythos Euler

Post by Pythos Euler »

Tealson Darkstar wrote: 2022.12.28 23:52 PI is definitely industry-adjacent and passive, which is why I suggest it. But if extracting some of your own materials for low effort feels like it's violating your self-imposed restrictions, then feel free to ignore this.
I suppose I didn't outline it in the post, but I started with PI! Currently, with the rotation of items I manufacture, none of them require PI.

The common sentiment is that PI is bad in hi-sec. However, with the production chain, I've managed to set up, I see about 5 m ISK/day/planet. With level 5 skills in command centers, my calculations show I could push that number to 8 mil.

As a matter of fact, I'm in the process of training my second toon for PI as well!
Goros Reptilia

Post by Goros Reptilia »

Sounds a bit limiting but interesting nonetheless. I feel you could make an alt if you ever feel interested in other activities so that way wou don't break your challenge ;)

On a sidenote, since you like spreadsheets in space, have you ever played Prosperous Universe? It takes industry on a galaxy scale very seriously. It isn't as fun as Eve though!