I have a personal question to ask you!

For general discussion about EVE Online.
Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
Nilova Muchova

I have a personal question to ask you!

Post by Nilova Muchova »

I was a hardcore gamer in my youth but when I finish training Adult 3 I started to look to games in a different way, I felt a need to give purpose to the action of "play a game", and that's why I came back to eve after so many years away, because I feel like my purpose in the game is solid.

My purpose in the game, as a collection of mechanics, rules and interactions, is to be able to fly every single frigate in the game and PvP with them. By able I mean both by skills and by ISK. The skills are almost all trained and I am currently working on the ISK side :happy8:.

My purpose in the game, as a community, is to be a strong helping hand for those of my nationality, the brazilian community. We have some expressive corporations but to be able to make impactful actions I feel the lack of some specific knowledge/experiences ingame, and ISK of course.

EUNI is helping me a lot to travel on these paths I've chosen, but those objectives, as simple they may seems, generates a certain emptiness in the process. That makes me think about a third purpose that I don't have yet, and the question is:

What is my purpose on this alliance?

There is a few things that I think I can do to contribute with the UNI, but I didn't found THE thing where I'll put my heart and soul, I don't have the greed to be recognized or glorified, that don't mean much for me, but I have the need to see that my contributions are solid as they can be.

If you identify yourself, by your own parameters, as a contributor to the alliance, please reply this post and let me know more about your journey.

I also would like to hear from those who see themselves not as a contributor but in the path to be one.

Hope this post have some reply '-'
Arin Mara
Wiki Manager
Wiki Manager

Re: I have a personal question to ask you!

Post by Arin Mara »

I want to make the Wiki the most beautiful and the most truthful publicly available knowledge repository in all of New Eden. :)

I had to tread a thorny path to discover my bright star.

At the beginning I though only a fool would edit the Wiki.
Why contribute to a Wiki? I won't get any recognition since the Wiki owner will claim all the credit.
Why share knowledge that I've worked so hard to acquire? If I do that, I'm just creating competition.

Both of these turned out to be false, in so many ways.

Would I rather start a a Wiki from scratch? That's silly. Instead, I joined an existing Wiki that was constructed on a decade long struggle to accumulate knowledge managed by a servant-leader that rewarded me lavishly for my skills, labor and passion.
What benefit do I have if I keep knowledge written on a piece of paper? Very little. New Eden is so vast that the benefit of adding my knowledge to the greater whole outweighs the marginal amount of competition I have created.

I could write so much more about how other capsuleers' thoughts informed my own convictions and about how I was able to write the Wiki Ideals based on continuous struggles with my inner deamon, but I'll leave it at this. :)
Ceren Vantinen

Post by Ceren Vantinen »

Hi Nilova and Arin

My journey has been twofold. Firstly learning the most complex MMO and then looking deeper into both the meta game and it’s history and EveUni . It’s been rough and smooth like finding a pathway through complexity. For me I am interested primarily in how games create community and how players find their tribe within a complex community of more than 2500 members and a management team that mirrors a real world learning community. I like some of the research into player motivations and player style based around Stanford University research since the 1990s as well as how Eve reflects real world economic and political sciences. I have learnt about communication styles conflict resolution and what my limits are in skill development as well as tolerating different player styles. I have met great people and found my small circle of mentors and teachers while having fun and slowly gaining confidence. I guess I volunteer to do help out where I can. Eve has a dark theme but Eve University is a safe space to learn blow things up and develop tolerance and understanding. Being open to ask questions and build knowledge has been fantastic. That said choose your own path ..

I was inspired by Erin’s post especially about knowledge sharing. In a dystopian economic landscape being able to share knowledge builds community where it’s not about isk per hour although that is important but enjoying a game that rewards team work communication and understanding.
Ceren Vantinen

Post by Ceren Vantinen »

Hi Nilova and Arin

My journey has been twofold. Firstly learning the most complex MMO and then looking deeper into both the meta game and it’s history and EveUni . It’s been rough and smooth like finding a pathway through complexity. For me I am interested primarily in how games create community and how players find their tribe within a complex community of more than 2500 members and a management team that mirrors a real world learning community. I like some of the research into player motivations and player style based around Stanford University research since the 1990s as well as how Eve reflects real world economic and political sciences. I have learnt about communication styles conflict resolution and what my limits are in skill development as well as tolerating different player styles. I have met great people and found my small circle of mentors and teachers while having fun and slowly gaining confidence. I guess I volunteer to do help out where I can. Eve has a dark theme but Eve University is a safe space to learn blow things up and develop tolerance and understanding. Being open to ask questions and build knowledge has been fantastic. That said choose your own path ..

I was inspired by Erin’s post especially about knowledge sharing. In a dystopian economic landscape being able to share knowledge builds community where it’s not about isk per hour although that is important but enjoying a game that rewards team work communication and understanding.
Arkady Marten
Production Manager
Production Manager

Post by Arkady Marten »

o/ Nilova,

Thank you for your thoughtful post! I do believe that you have chosen wisely with Eve - the kind of player interactions and community that exist in this game seem to stand out for pretty much everybody who plays Eve for more than a few hours. Finding a corp that's right, and also the specific group of players in the corp that one is closest to, is an ongoing process for everybody, with both ups and downs, new people coming into one's circle, others leaving. Just like RL, just sometimes faster in terms of turn-over given the online nature of the game.

My journey started out in what was then a very small community of lowsec dwellers at the now defunct Low-Sec Campus LSC. But being in that space and having the shared experience of the opportunities and threats of lowsec made us close. One key aspect I learned was that my LSC friends reacted positively to anybody (including me as still one of the newer pilots in the group) proposing to go out together for an impromptu PvP roam or to team up to harvest some ore anomaly or gas clouds that one of us had just found. I guess it's human nature that people will often hesitate to take the lead, what with the fear of failing and the uncertainty whether the others will like what you're proposing. But the trust and supportive vibes within the group, and the positive reactions that kept coming whenever we had a shared activity, kept us going!

As I increased my knowledge in various parts of gameplay, I gained confidence to run more organised events also, with scheduled mining ops, exploration events, missioning fleets, and PvP roams. At various points, I had all my isk locked up in loaner ships that I would hand out to the even-newer pilots at LSC. Doing my part to pay it forward and give them in turn a good start and exciting experiences in the game felt great. It continues to be a big personal motivator and confirms that Eve Uni is still the right corp for me! This plays heavily also into my current roles as Production Manager and co-host of Uni Fight Club.

So what about your path in Eve and the Uni? First of all, simply by being active in the game, on Discord, or Mumble, you are already making an active contribution to the Uni and to the people around you! Humans are social animals, Eve is at its core a social game. Anything beyond that is completely up to you to define, which admittedly doesn't make it easier! I can only recommend that you take stock of what you enjoy the most in the game, and find ways to increase your interaction with others while doing these activities! This doesn't mean you have to be in a leadership role or organise big group events. Taking part in a mining fleet or starting a fleet by inviting people to come along when you're about to undock anyway, going out exploring with a new player who's just learning about scanning and hacking, answering questions in Discord or the in-game chat channels, helping out with skillbook reimbursements for new players (if you have the Freshman title already), joining a fleet to take down a FOB, going on a PvP roam - these are all valued contributions to the corp! The key aspect is always the interaction with others that happens as part of these activities.

If at some point you are looking to do even more, who knows - you may find that people react positively to you organising an event too! Anybody is free to organise events in the Uni. And don't let the thought scare you that there might be people attending that know more than you do - this is almost guaranteed, but never a reason not to get something together! We are a friendly bunch, always happy to support each other, and we are frequently just waiting for somebody to take that first step, make an announcement, and get the rest excited about something.

There are also a number of teams taking care of the things that keep the Uni humming - teachers, mentors, intake and progression officers, Wiki editors, diplomats, FCs, logistics people - you name it. This part is completely optional, nobody should feel pressured to take on any additional roles. But if you are looking for more ways to give back to the Uni at some point, you can find more information about all these areas on the Wiki and the Forum. Feel free to ask for some links, if you like.
Image Image