How To Get Revenge?

For general discussion about EVE Online.
Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
Adaam Cain

How To Get Revenge?

Post by Adaam Cain »

So, I'm killing rats, minding my own business...and some....<insert expletive here> ... kills me. Okay. Fair enough. It is a game and killing is part of the game. But I want revenge. I'm not strong enough yet. But I want this player dead. How do I hunt someone down? Is it okay to ask the people here to look up and kill grimaxemorpher? Curious as to how vendettas work.
unstable unit

Re: How To Get Revenge?

Post by unstable unit »

Well, you were in low sec, so you will get attempts on your life a lot out there! That means you need an appropriate ship and fit, and to keep your wits about you ready to fight or flee! I don't know enough about fits to know what you could have done differently there but there are loads of people here who can help in that direction. And folks can teach you how to stay safe... be aligned, D-scan etc.
As for revenge, eh, better to evemail people that kill you and ask them what you could have done to avoid it etc. You'll find the vast majority of folks will be happy you want to learn and will give you some advice (and many will reimburse you too!). I wouldn't get too het up about revenge meself, but that's me. If you really wanted to you could look at his killboard history and see what/when/where he likes to fly, and work towards counters to that but it seems a lot of effort. Better to just set him as bad standing so you can watch out for him next time, ask your corpmates for advice for low sec ratting, there's plenty of experienced people about here.
Be on comms and in the local standing fleet. It might be that there are other unistas nearby to come to your aid if you have enough tank to last a bit. It was a succubus though so don't know how long you had against that!
I'll ping this post in discord, as I'm certain other people will have more (and better!) advice but yea, don't get too wound up over it is my advice, rather look at it as a learning experience. EVE teaching can be really harsh and frustrating in the early days, but don't be discouraged! I've sent you some isk to replace your ship so you can get back out there sooner! :)
Image Image Image Image
Gergoran Moussou

Post by Gergoran Moussou »

https://zkillboard.com/kill/101697948/

Okay. Let's talk about this.

First, let's talk about what happened. You were in a Low-Sec system, ratting in a belt, and got attacked. Treat Low-Sec as a completely different thing than High-Sec. The 0.1 difference between 0.5 and 0.4 doesn't mean that it's that much more dangerous, the same amount more dangerous as 0.5 is than 0.6. In terms of the danger of other players, think of everything from 0.5 to 1.0 as one category of danger, everything from 0.1 to 0.4 as another category, and everything from 0.0 to -1.0 as a third. 0.5 systems are, in most regards, as dangerous as 1.0 systems. 0.4 systems are pretty much the same as 0.1 systems. 0.0 systems are pretty much the same as -1.0 systems. This is with regard to danger from players.

There are some exceptions to this. The main one is that in High-Sec, the system security rating determines how fast CONCORD will respond, so if you get attacked by suicide gankers, they have much more time to kill you in 0.5 than 1.0, but this isn't something that you should ever rely on to keep yourself alive. It really only makes a difference with hauling in freighters and deep space transports (particularly freighters), and if you're hauling cargo, it's much safer to rely on scouting the route ahead for safety.

Within each of those three categories, the danger of specific systems depends on geography more than the system security score. One of the big dangers in a Low-Sec system is if it is an entrance system from High-Sec. That's what Covryn is. Many of those systems have the entrance gates camped to catch people coming in from High-Sec who have not yet learned that the High-Sec/Low-Sec boundary is the most significant transition between types of space in terms of how dangerous they are.

Within Covryn, you were ratting in a belt. This means that if someone knows that you're in the system and undocked, it is very easy to find you via directional scanner and warp to you.

How to prevent it:
1. If you undock outside of High-Sec, assume that anyone not confirmed to be friendly is hostile. If you're not ready to fight someone, avoid that person. Keep the local chat channel visible when you can to see if any other people are in the system.
2. Develop an idea of what you're doing, where to do it, and what ships to fly for it. This could be as simple as "I run missions with a Vexor because I can afford it and drone ships tend to be good for PVE), or it could be "I will use this particular fit for my Sleipnir for solo PVP roaming." If you're going into Low-Sec space, always keep in mind that it is inherently dangerous space and often ends up being more dangerous than Null-Sec. If you're going to do PVE activities in Low-Sec, keep in mind that the people who come across you will think of you as food. Think about what you'll be doing in there, and whether or not it's worth the risks of Low-Sec.
3. Make sure that your ships are fully fit for the purpose that you want to use them for. In general, if you have to leave a slot empty, it's best to leave a high slot empty once you've filled all of the hardpoints for the weapon type that you're using. I see that you filled the Vexor's utility high, but left one of the mid slots empty. Depending on what you're trying to do, you can find people who can give you some good advice. My PVE tends to be mining/industry, so ratting is outside of my area of expertise to give you tips on how to fit ships.
4. When you're doing something in dangerous space, be in voice with people. E-Uni pays for a really nice Mumble server for its members to talk to each other. This can be both social comms and fleet comms for coordinating in-game activities. Covryn is right next to Stacmon, where you can very likely find other Uni members available to help you do stuff.

Like UU said, I wouldn't worry too much about getting revenge. Don't take it personally. If you want to get into PVP (and potentially shoot this guy if you come across him again), E-Uni has opportunities for that. You don't need to be the most experienced and skilled person to do well in a fleet. Even two or three people roaming together will massively surpass their combined individual capabilities.

If you really do want to something akin to revenge, I have an idea. You're clearly capable of sitting in a Gallente cruiser. If you fit one for maximum hull buffer (damage control and bulkheads in the low slots and rigs, mainly), with MWD, warp scrambler, and stasis webifier, along with an energy neutralizer in one of the high slots, you can sit in a belt in Covryn as bait while working with other Uni members in Stacmon. If someone brings an expensive frigate like this Succubus (in addition to being an expensive hull by frigate standards, the pilot was using faction lasers which each individually cost around as much as a Tech II frigate, and his recent losses seem to have a few faction and abyssal modules) or maybe even a Kikimora, an expensive destroyer, your bait ship will look like food, but you can use it to hold him there for other Uni members to come in from the next gate over in Stacmon, and you'll help them kill something.

If you want revenge on this specific guy, I don't know of any real way to guarantee it. Your best chance is to join Uni fleets which form out of Stacmon and go on roams, potentially come across him and kill him.
9th CCI medalist

Mike Kingswell

Post by Mike Kingswell »

Since UU and Gerg went into longer answers I fully agree with I'll keep it short:

Every explosion (yours and someone elses) is a learning opportunity. Some of the best space-friends I have I made by being shot at by/shooting at them.
This guy was chasing a valid target in the surroundings you both chose - I would have been happy to do the same.
Use your anger as fguel to learn more about EVE and PVP
Maybe DSCAN is a good start?
Alumnus, Teacher
Image Image Image Image Image
Adaam Cain

Post by Adaam Cain »

Thanks all. Very good advice that I will follow. Was just venting last night and I will continue to learn. It is an unpleasant feeling to be helpless; unable to run and weapons are ineffective.
unstable unit

Post by unstable unit »

Adaam Cain wrote: 2022.06.25 14:11 Thanks all. Very good advice that I will follow. Was just venting last night and I will continue to learn. It is an unpleasant feeling to be helpless; unable to run and weapons are ineffective.
Yea EVE is brutal in the beginning. Stick with it though, it gets less frustrating as you learn and skill up ::D And hop on mumble, you learn lots and can vent and everybody will know exactly how you're feeling lol.
Image Image Image Image
Ewige Blumenkraft

Post by Ewige Blumenkraft »

Adaam Cain wrote: 2022.06.25 14:11 Thanks all. Very good advice that I will follow. Was just venting last night and I will continue to learn. It is an unpleasant feeling to be helpless; unable to run and weapons are ineffective.
We've all been there and understand the feelings that you had. There is so much great advice here that I'll only add three things:

1) Remember Rule 0 - Never undock a ship that you cannot afford to lose. You can lose ships in space of any security level. I know a player who looks a whole lot like me who lost a battleship because it seemed like a good idea to start running L4 missions in high-sec at 2AM after being out bar-hopping with friends. That player promptly feel asleep only to awake with that ship exploding. (Obviously not me; just someone who resembles me, but I assure you that I..err...that pilot knew it was possible to lose that ship and had accounted for that before undocking.)

2) Do consider taking the advice of EVE mailing or starting an in-game chat with the other player. One of the best conversations I have had was with a player who blew up my ship. This is one of a number of things that makes EVE unlike any other game--they were kind enough to tell me exactly how the fight went and what they had been thinking as the fight progressed. My understanding of the fight was incomplete and actually incorrect on a major detail.

3) Shameless plug: Even if you don't see yourself PvP'ing in the near future, learning about PvP is very valuable. I can highly recommend that you consider attending EVE Uni Fight Club (UFC). We fight against other Unistas in 1v1 frigate combat followed by a feedback session. Great learning and fantastic fun. Even if you don't go to Fight Club, just make sure that you are learning and having fun. If you are doing both of those things, then you are doing great.
Ewige Blumenkraft
EVE University alumnus, bon vivant, and Uni Fight Club afficianado
don't bring a needle to a haystack fight
Gibson Thunderbird
Student Advocate
Student Advocate
Title: Honorary Member, The Extruder, [LTI]

Post by Gibson Thunderbird »

We see a lot of salt from new players who venture into Worm Hole Space (J-Space) and lose their ship and pod. Sometimes they up-ship; so do we. The end result is more heartache and loss. A Universal Truth - There is always someone bigger and badder that you are - live with it. When you perform a dangerous activity, expect danger. Ask yourself if it was the isk, the ship, not being able to defend yourself, or just being hurt because someone got the better of you. Doesn't really matter, but it could help you cope. How do you think others are gonna feel when you get to be more competent and start on your climb to the top of the Kill Board? This stuf is going to happen. The sooner you can put it behind you and go on, the better. The sooner you can learn from the experiences, the better. BTW, we laught very heartily at the salt, and as good Unistas, we do not reply, which makes the salt saltier and our laughs deeper. Get the picture? There are tons of playing styles and approaches. Don't let them get to you. Devlop your style. Don't sweat the samll stuff, and losing a ship is small stuff.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Salartarium

Post by Salartarium »

From a revenge perspective, if you wanted to get frivolous for RP purpose you could hire a mercenary or pirate/high sec war dec group to go after your killer or their corp. More realistically, since you were podded in low-sec you can sell the kill right. Corps like the New Eden Police force https://malacdk.wixsite.com/newedenpoliceforce will regularly take bounty hunting seriously as part of their play style. https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Kill_Ri ... ill_Rights details how you can sell kill rights to other players. With some third party tools you can track people down in-game, but that is for a much higher level of play.
Last edited by Salartarium on 2022.06.27 08:07, edited 1 time in total.
G'monk
Campus Manager
Campus Manager
Title: Diplomat LSC Campus Officer

Post by G'monk »

Revenge can be had, but you have to do a little homework to determine where the character stays and hangs out. Then you can ask around for folks to hit the character. Or to fleetup with you and you all take them down.
As many have said, in Low sec Everyone and everything is hostile unless proven differently.
LSC Manager, Diplomat, Campus Staff
ImageImage
Essalin Wessette

Post by Essalin Wessette »

What everyone else said, plus: as an alternative to playing bait, fit out a stealthy ship and play spy. They probably hunt in the same general area and at the same general times. I can tell you for a fact that they are operating in Ostingele as well (they jumped me running an escalation there on the 25th, but I was able to escape), so you might be able to find them in the lowsec systems within a jump or two of Stacmon and then call in a group of Unistas - particularly if there's good loot to be had.
Gergoran Moussou

Essalin Wessette wrote: 2022.06.27 20:22 What everyone else said, plus: as an alternative to playing bait, fit out a stealthy ship and play spy. They probably hunt in the same general area and at the same general times. I can tell you for a fact that they are operating in Ostingele as well (they jumped me running an escalation there on the 25th, but I was able to escape), so you might be able to find them in the lowsec systems within a jump or two of Stacmon and then call in a group of Unistas - particularly if there's good loot to be had.

You probably want to clear it with Jilo before you try spying. If the corporation finds out that one of its members is actually an alt that a Uni member put in for hostile reasons, they might want to retaliate.

And, if you end up doing that, the most important thing to do is not talk about it.
9th CCI medalist

Essalin Wessette

Post by Essalin Wessette »

Gergoran Moussou wrote: 2022.06.28 15:16

You probably want to clear it with Jilo before you try spying. If the corporation finds out that one of its members is actually an alt that a Uni member put in for hostile reasons, they might want to retaliate.

And, if you end up doing that, the most important thing to do is not talk about it.
Oh no, I wasn't suggesting infiltrating another corp - just tracking them down and calling in a gang to jump them - just what we do on roams, but tracking down a specific pilot.
Gergoran Moussou

Essalin Wessette wrote: 2022.07.30 00:19
Gergoran Moussou wrote: 2022.06.28 15:16

Oh no, I wasn't suggesting infiltrating another corp - just tracking them down and calling in a gang to jump them - just what we do on roams, but tracking down a specific pilot.
Okay. For future reference, spying typically refers to undercover work like that. What you meant is typically called reconnaissance.

Ping me in #alumni on Discord if you have questions about how to find people.
9th CCI medalist