Clone Changes?

For general discussion about EVE Online.
Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
Morgan Strigidae

Clone Changes?

Post by Morgan Strigidae »

Hey, all. I'm back after some years away from the game. I have 5 jump clones from way back when I had a paid account. It looks like on an alpha account you can only have 1 now -- is that true?

Anyway, the clone I am currently in apparently has no clone bay, so if I jump to another, is the clone I started out in just lost?

Anyone know?
Arkady Marten
Production Manager
Production Manager

Re: Clone Changes?

Post by Arkady Marten »

o/ Morgan - welcome back!

As an alpha clone, you are limited to lvl 1 in the Infomorph Psychology skill, which means that you are right, you can only have one jump clone as an alpha.

On your character, does that mean that 4 jump clones are currently unavailable, while one is? Can you switch which jump clone you want active?

To jump into a different clone, you need to be in a station/structure with a clone bay, otherwise it won't let you jump in the first place. Your old clone is never lost in these jumps, instead it is then available as a jump clone in that station/structure you were in to get back into later. (If you self-destruct your clone or your pod gets blown up, then the clone you're in does get destroyed - including the implants it had -, and you awaken back in a clean clone in your home station.)

In case you have not come across this mechanic yet: You can jump between clones in a player-owned structure without getting the 24 hour cool-down. (That's the standard way of keeping a training clone safe by jumping out of it before every undock.) If you switch between clones in an NPC station or jump to a remote clone, then the cool-down still applies. The Infomorph Synchronizing skill can decrease the 24 hours a bit.

(If you're currently stuck somewhere in null-sec in a clone with valuable implants, see if there is a shuttle available close-by - shuttles are now immune to bubbles and, as long as you can evade smartbombing gatecamps, a safe way of travelling in null.)
Image Image
Morgan Strigidae

Re: Clone Changes?

Post by Morgan Strigidae »

Arkady Marten wrote: 2022.01.21 09:32 o/ Morgan - welcome back!
Thanks!
Arkady Marten wrote: 2022.01.21 09:32On your character, does that mean that 4 jump clones are currently unavailable, while one is? Can you switch which jump clone you want active?
It looks like I can jump to any of my other 4 clones (the jump buttons look clickable), but I haven't tried because I was worried my current clone would be destroyed. I'm in my training clone in high sec, so it has my best set of implants.
Arkady Marten wrote: 2022.01.21 09:32To jump into a different clone, you need to be in a station/structure with a clone bay, otherwise it won't let you jump in the first place. Your old clone is never lost in these jumps, instead it is then available as a jump clone in that station/structure you were in to get back into later.
Well, the buttons for me to jump to another clone are all active, but it looks like I don't have a clone bay in my current station. I'll have another look in-game and see if I can clear this up.
Arkady Marten wrote: 2022.01.21 09:32- shuttles are now immune to bubbles and, as long as you can evade smartbombing gatecamps, a safe way of travelling in null.
Good to know!

Thanks!