How many Linux client users are out there ?

For general discussion about EVE Online.
Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
Shazam Valentine

How many Linux client users are out there ?

Post by Shazam Valentine »

Q: How many Linux users are out there ?

I run Eve on the Manjaro flavor of Linux. I followed this Eve-Uni wiki post which I found very helpful. https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Installing_EVE_on_Linux
So, I was curious.

This is a play off the Mac post. https://forum.eveuniversity.org/viewtop ... 9&t=122439
Project Alpha Zeta

Re: How many Linux client users are out there ?

Post by Project Alpha Zeta »

Hey there. Since manjaro is Arch based did this not help https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/User:M ... EVE_Online since it is more distro specific?
Note that performance is in favor of WIndows (I am using arch but paused playing there for a bit due to limited drive space - need a bigger drive there)
Alpha GoreSnorkel
Reimbursement Manager
Reimbursement Manager

Post by Alpha GoreSnorkel »

Hey,

I use Ubuntu with Mesa Git and an upstream(ish) kernel, and I find that I get about 5% better performance under Linux than windows. Please note that I have a Radeon card which has the best support of all the Mesa drivers.

Gore
Swimming in 12 foot of gore with a 6 foot snorkel
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Morgan Strigidae

Post by Morgan Strigidae »

Alpha GoreSnorkel wrote: 2022.01.07 21:41 I use Ubuntu with Mesa Git and an upstream(ish) kernel, and I find that I get about 5% better performance under Linux than windows.
How are you measuring performance?
Alpha GoreSnorkel
Reimbursement Manager
Reimbursement Manager

Post by Alpha GoreSnorkel »

Morgan Strigidae wrote: 2022.01.21 01:18
Alpha GoreSnorkel wrote: 2022.01.07 21:41 I use Ubuntu with Mesa Git and an upstream(ish) kernel, and I find that I get about 5% better performance under Linux than windows.
How are you measuring performance?
In game FPS meter (peak FPS, median FPS can quite often be dictated by network speed in EVE). A fair while ago I did some proper benchmarking, some things go faster in Windows and some faster in Linux, but overall Linux is quicker. I'm on NAVI14 (Radeon RX 5500 XT) if that is of any use. Don't bother with Nvidia, they put far more effort into their Windows driver than their Linux driver. The open source Nvidia driver (Nouvaeu) is really poor (and very very poor on more recent hardware) because Nvidia doesn't release any details for its hardware (whereas AMD does).
Swimming in 12 foot of gore with a 6 foot snorkel
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Morgan Strigidae

Post by Morgan Strigidae »

Hey. Didn't see this till just now. Thanks for the reply! The Radeon / Nvidia info is good to know. I used to use Ubuntu for everything, but then I got a job that required some software I needed Windows for. Since I also wanted to game, I just got a Windows gaming machine. I miss Linux, though, and am looking for a chance to go back to that.
Chasbro Newbroski

Post by Chasbro Newbroski »

I'm in the process of moving from my old (2014) Win 7 computer to my newer (2021) Alienware Linuxbox, running Linux Mint 20.3 (Una). I'm not a Linux Guru, but I can usually figure stuff out with decent instructions. I'm using Lutris, and so far, have been able to play the game.

I have one problem that's baffling me, if any of you have experience with it. When I L-click the right side, or bottom of a window to resize it, it automatically enlarges the window, and sets a minimum that I can resize it too. This doesn't happen on the top, or left side. It becomes very annoying when I want to change the chat windows, especially my Local Chat window. I don't know if this is a mouse driver issue in WINE, or a game feature, or something else.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Skill to do comes of doing; knowledge comes by eyes always open, and working hands; and there is no knowledge that is not power. - Emerson

Scientia potentia est - Hobbes