How many Mac users are out there? Esperience with the Native client?

For general discussion about EVE Online.
Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
Amos TalFidelis

How many Mac users are out there? Esperience with the Native client?

Post by Amos TalFidelis »

Hello unistas, was pleasantly surprised to see the new native Mac client when I signed up last week. Are there an other Mac users out there? Have you upgraded to the new client? How's your experience.

I'm using it my shiny new MacBookPro M1Pro and it's awesome with one issue. The notch pushes the full screen game client down a bit so the very bottom of the screen is cut off.
Laden Kanenald

Re: How many Mac users are out there? Esperience with the Native client?

Post by Laden Kanenald »

I'm using a Mac, and the new client is a huge improvement over the old Wine client. Memory usage is about the same, but CPU usage of the new client is just a fraction of the old one. There were several small hickups during the transition (e.g. my overview settings were lost, and I lost a ship because of that), but the client itself did not cause any problems.

Be sure to log a support ticket and/or use the official forum (there's a Mac section). There might be others with the same notch-problem or there might already be a way to fix it.
Amos TalFidelis

Post by Amos TalFidelis »

Thanks Laden - I didn't think about the official forums. I posted there and opened a bug report.
Gryff Jones

Post by Gryff Jones »

Welcome!

There are a few of us - I'm another very happy native Mac client user - in fact I believe that all Mac users are given the native client by default now.

The fact that I can now see the cursor all the time means I'm finally doing combat on a regular basis - the cursor used to disappear whenever the mouse moved which didn't help in "fluid" situations :-)

I'm running a 2014 Retina iMac and sometimes a MacBookPro, but that's generally only good for trade etc or PI :-)

Have fun & Fly Safe/Dangerously - it's your choice!
Ewige Blumenkraft

Post by Ewige Blumenkraft »

The new Mac client has made a significant difference for me. Most of my client issues went away with it.
+ I used to experience disconnects a few times a day.
+ After an alt+tab and back to Eve, my mouse would sometimes be unable to move to certain sections of the screen.
+ I used to have window management issues--sometimes while moving a window, it would fly off the side of the screen and get stuck there.

The new client is definitely a net improvement for me on my 2019 iMac.
Amos TalFidelis wrote: 2021.11.10 02:45 Hello unistas, was pleasantly surprised to see the new native Mac client when I signed up last week. Are there an other Mac users out there? Have you upgraded to the new client? How's your experience.

I'm using it my shiny new MacBookPro M1Pro and it's awesome with one issue. The notch pushes the full screen game client down a bit so the very bottom of the screen is cut off.
Ewige Blumenkraft
EVE University alumnus, bon vivant, and Uni Fight Club afficianado
don't bring a needle to a haystack fight
Sam Note
Title: Guess who's back, back again, Graduate

Post by Sam Note »

Mac user here, and I love the new client. Very stable and I haven't had any issues.
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
Sanctia Vitae

Post by Sanctia Vitae »

Checking in! M1 mini (2020), and the native client is leaps and bounds above the old. I am able to run on higher graphics settings without dropping frames, and textures & particles look fantastic!
She/Her
Senior Mentor Officer
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
LordMonboddo

Post by LordMonboddo »

I'm playing on a macbook pro retina. No real issues, just a bit laggy in busy situations, but as im more into exploring null-sec and wormholes thats not a problem.
As a newbro i didnt realise that there wasnt a native mac client before, anyway im happy to be able to play. :)
Lavin Sila-Son-Ur

Post by Lavin Sila-Son-Ur »

Running on MacBook Air M1 and was really impressed how well game runs - new player so have no prior experience how bad it used to be.

My only beef is that in skills, you don't see personal or corporate plans, and boxes on bottom are cut off (and i discovered that when installed game on PC). Other than that, sweet!