ESS Bank robbers - mouse vs. cat

For general discussion about EVE Online.
Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
Laden Kanenald

ESS Bank robbers - mouse vs. cat

Post by Laden Kanenald »

I've seen a Youtube video today where a character used a Needlejack filament to get into a random Nullsec system, check the ESS sites in the area and break into them. His strategy was basically to be as evasive as possible and exit out via Pochven.

I gave it a try, and it was pretty fun: I did a lot of intel-gathering, d-scanning, etc., but in the end I ran into a gatecamp. I mailed one of the guys who podded me afterwards and he replied that I had shown up on their intel, and they set up the gatecamp to catch me. I will probably do this more often just to get comfortable moving around in NS, get better at d-scanning and combat probing, and just to be more aware of what's going on around me.

So, does anybody steal these ESS sites without engaging in combat?

A small group with one character hacking into the bank and one or two scouts would probably be quite effective.

For those who don't know about ESS (Encounter Surveillance System): it's basically a site in every Nullsec system where ISK is stored. You can warp to it via an acceleration gate, and then start the robbery which is essentially a 5-minute timer. As soon as the time is up the money is yours.
Ferdinand II Echerie

Re: ESS Bank robbers - mouse vs. cat

Post by Ferdinand II Echerie »

Coming from a not very experienced ess robber:
I have done maybe 5 solo ESS sites, all without anyone in local. I used a 100mn stabber. multiboxing would indeed be effective if you would like to fight. My strat is usually hit an run tho: get 10m or so, fliament out, wait out timer in a station, filament to k sace. combat fit is just for show. I use the map extensvely to find low activity systems to rob.
Laden Kanenald

Post by Laden Kanenald »

My fit was a 20M Stabber, so just from a risk/reward perspective it's very attractive.

If you go for just 10-ish M per site and then filament out you can only do about three sites per hour. Have you tried multiboxing with a scout and go for bigger sites?

I'll try using the map more next time to find low-activity systems as you said. Today I just looked at the Agency, selected several sites >10M and started to plan a route.
Ferdinand II Echerie

I usually settle for 10m, but usually I get more. finding a good system doest take long: its just sometimes you dont find any. Any ess over 2m is worth doing. Im alpha so no multibox for me :(. Risk reward is indeed great, the goal is usually to first earn back the money spet on the ship. For more advanced ess, you wuld most likely want more advanced pvp skills and a battlecruiser or t3c. And run at first sign of local spike, because you can't fight even a small gang while solo unless with great pvp experience.
Laden Kanenald

Post by Laden Kanenald »

Yes, PVP is something I'm having a hard time with 🙂

Drop me a line if you want to team up someday!
Ferdinand II Echerie

Im up for that any time, as long as time allows. A final note: A phantasm would likely be the best for solo ess.