How do Cyno's Work? (Covert in particular)

For general discussion about EVE Online.
Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
Bendak SK

How do Cyno's Work? (Covert in particular)

Post by Bendak SK »

I'm looking into Cyno''s and how they work. In particular Covert ones for potential use with a blockade runner. I'm not entirely sure how it works or what is required or even if it's worth it, ISC wise. Just expanding my knowledge at this point.

I understand you have to have someone light the Cyno, then other fleet members can warp to the Cyno at that point.

This is a Cyno alt fit I came up with:
Spoiler
[Manticore, Manticore Cyno]

Nanofiber Internal Structure II
Nanofiber Internal Structure II

5MN Y-T8 Compact Microwarpdrive
Warp Disruptor II
Stasis Webifier II
Medium F-S9 Regolith Compact Shield Extender

Covert Cynosural Field Generator I
[Empty High slot]
Covert Ops Cloaking Device II
[Empty High slot]
Sisters Core Probe Launcher, Sisters Core Scanner Probe

Small Low Friction Nozzle Joints II
Small Hyperspatial Velocity Optimizer II
Now the person lighting the Cyno requires fuel (liquid Ozone) to do so. I see on a Manticore for a Covert Cynosural Field Generator I it cost 50 units and the activation time/duration is 60 seconds. Does this mean for every 60 seconds the Cyno is lit, it will cost 50 Liquid Ozone? Does it automatically take the Liquid Ozone out of my cargo?

Does the ship jumping to the Cyno (A blockade Runner for example) require anything special in order to jump? Or is the only requirement to be in fleet with the individual lighting the Cyno?

Are there any distance limitations to utilizing Cynos? I think "Jump Fatigue" plays a role in this, but I'm not sure how. I'm not even sure what "Jump Fatigue" is to be honest.

Covert Cyno's can only be lit and used by "Black Ops, Blockade Runners, Covert Ops, Etana, Prospect, Stealth Bombers and Force Recon Ships, as well as Strategic Cruisers equipped with Covert Reconfiguration Subsystems". Regular Cyno's can only be lit by "Force Recon Ships and Black Ops". Is there any limitation on which types of ships can jump to a regular Cyno?

Many Thanks!
Bendak SK

Re: How do Cyno's Work? (Covert in particular)

Post by Bendak SK »

Okay, thank you Nuerland. So it seems I can't just light a Cyno and jump to it using my Blockade Runner like I was hoping. I need some other ship with a jump drive in order to faciliate that.
Tremitry Darkstar

Post by Tremitry Darkstar »

Bendak SK wrote: 2021.07.24 03:28 Okay, thank you Nuerland. So it seems I can't just light a Cyno and jump to it using my Blockade Runner like I was hoping. I need some other ship with a jump drive in order to faciliate that.
Specifically, you need a Black Ops ship to bridge your Blockade Runner. Black Ops ships are T2 Battleships and are very skill intensive and very expensive compared to the Cyno ship and Blockade Runner.

I think the first thing you need to consider is: Why do I want to do this? What problem is this solving or gameplay is it enabling? So, other than teleporting to different systems, what are you trying to achieve?
-Tremitry Darkstar
Bendak SK

Post by Bendak SK »

My intention was to avoid having to take the 14 or so jumps from LSC to Jita to haul stuff. Avoiding much of the risk of gate camps while saving time. But that was before I found out I needed a black ops ship (or a ship with a jump drive for regular cynos) in order to make it work. Factoring all that in, it doesn't make any sense to work towards that. Being cautious on my blockade runner for small cargo and using the Uni hauling service for large cargo seems to be my best and most practical options.

I also recently found out there is a distance limit to cynos as well. I think 5 light years is the max, and I don't think that would cover a jump from LSC to Jita anyways.

Thanks for all the great input, I now think I know all there is to cynos :-P
JohnPlayerNotSpecial
Title: Events Staff, Bloober, Graduate

Post by JohnPlayerNotSpecial »

Bendak SK wrote: 2021.08.16 02:45 I think 5 light years is the max
10 for a jf, 8 for a blops.
signature.
Gergoran Moussou

Post by Gergoran Moussou »

A Black Ops battleship can use a covert, no other ship type can. If it has a covert bridge module fit to the ship, it can bridge ships able to use covert ops cloaks to the cyno. If a BLOPS uses a covert instead of another type, the fatigue is significantly shorter, but a BLOPS can use any type of cyno.

Industrial ships can light industrial cynos for jump freighters. BLOPS and jump freighters can jump to these.

Force reconnaissance ships and BLOPS can light regular cynos that any jump drive can lock on to. Rorquals, carriers, dreadnoughts, force auxiliaries, supercarriers, and titans can jump to these as well as JF and BLOPS.

It is nearly always a mistake to sit in a ship with a jump drive before you have trained Jump Drive Calibration V on the character.
9th CCI medalist

Gergoran Moussou

A Black Ops battleship can use a covert, no other ship type can. If it has a covert bridge module fit to the ship, it can bridge ships able to use covert ops cloaks to the cyno. If a BLOPS uses a covert instead of another type, the fatigue is significantly shorter, but a BLOPS can use any type of cyno.

Industrial ships can light industrial cynos for jump freighters. BLOPS and jump freighters can jump to these.

Force reconnaissance ships and BLOPS can light regular cynos that any jump drive can lock on to. Rorquals, carriers, dreadnoughts, force auxiliaries, supercarriers, and titans can jump to these as well as JF and BLOPS.

It is nearly always a mistake to sit in a ship with a jump drive before you have trained Jump Drive Calibration V on the character.
9th CCI medalist

Gergoran Moussou

9th CCI medalist