Upgrade to Barge Necessary?

For general discussion about EVE Online.
Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
Kilo Sierra

Upgrade to Barge Necessary?

Post by Kilo Sierra »

While the Venture is currently fine for my hi-sec mining meditation, would I see a decent return in short order on the investment to upgrade to a Prospector, or are the barges a waste in hi-sec? If so, where do barges belong mining wise?

Also, what can me and my trusty Venture mine for a few more ISK without too much risk...I still consider myself a bit of a noob.

TIA folks!!
Dr Jekyl l

Re: Upgrade to Barge Necessary?

Post by Dr Jekyl l »

I am not much of a miner, but will give my 2 isk since no one else has answered yet. If you can listen to comms and pay attention to an in-game chat channel while meditating ... NSC advertises that mining there is relatively risk free as long as you pay attention and take certain precautions, and more lucrative than HS mining.
Image Image
Kilo Sierra

Post by Kilo Sierra »

NSC = Null-Sec I assume?

And thanks for the info and feedback, Doc!!
Dr Jekyl l

Post by Dr Jekyl l »

NSC = Null Security Campus. yes.
Image Image
Mokine

Post by Mokine »

I know you never got an answer, but barges will give you a RoI way higher than sticking in a Venture. As an example someone in E Uni does a thing where they give you a barge, and you mine to pay it off. Well they pay themselves off in anywhere from 60-120 mins, so look at the cost of one and see how long it would take you in the venture to harvest that same amount.

I dont know a ton on it but Ventures are still used for newer people who are huffing gas since its a little harder I think to get a bigger ship to do it. But im not sure on that one.
Faelare Solette

Post by Faelare Solette »

I'll throw my two cents in as well. I uses Barges for mining and it does pay off if you really want to get into mining. Additionally it also depends on what your going to mine such as Ice, Ore or Gas. Prospects and ventures are good if your going to Mine in worm holes and low sec, since you can warp out quickly. Mokine is correct I believe there is a program you can work off paying for a Barge, and it with a Barge it doesn't take very long.