So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
<<

Eadrom Vintarus

Portrait

Retired Director
Retired Director

Post 2019.10.14 08:11

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Greetings and Salutations!

I'm announcing today my stepping down as a Director of Special Projects. Some of you may have noticed the last couple weeks me trying to tidy some things up. That work was indeed in preparation for me taking my next step in EVE Online. From bright-eyed newbro, to spending eight months as a director, here is my story.

(clipped into a spoiler for those tl;dr folks)
SPOILER WARNING!
I started out in EVE Online back in 2009. I had a character I played for probably 2 or 3 hours before going back to WoW. I started out joining EVE University back in 2014. I was trying EVE again and joined a corp after a few days of high sec mining and running L1's and they had me ratting and mining in low sec. After a few weeks, my corp left the alliance it was in to move into a wormhole. Even more out of my newbie depth, I followed and was now mining ore anoms in my shiny new mining barge and of course dying in said shiny new mining barge. During this time I started a new job and met the person that would end up being one of my best friends IRL. He also played EVE, with his character name of Matt Ross.

I joined EVE University shortly after that. Somewhere there is a spreadsheet showing a mining op I ran in our old home of Aldrat. I was training into flying an Orca so I could better lead mining ops. I never really got involved much beyond that. I joined a dragon slayer fleet, got lost a few times while excitedly trying to rejoin the fleet so I could get on a carrier killmail, and then died to a ball of I think Brave Newbies. I didn't do much then beyond mining less and less while waiting for my orca skills to finish. Sometime around the beginning of summer, I stopped playing.

A few years later, after getting clean from KSP (that game tho), I'd grown dissatisfied with WoW. I'd played WoW since original "Vanilla" shortly after the Dire Maul release. Over the decade or so, I'd lost touch with almost everyone I played with. Guilds split up, people server transferred, quit playing, or rerolled factions. It was now the beginning of 2017 and I was bored and surfing the web looking for something to do. While looking up something completely unrelated, I stumbled across the fact that EVE Online now had an unofficial Linux launcher. I managed to get it working and I was resubbed within 3 days.

This time I was determined to do things "right". I had realized that the reason I stopped playing EVE in the first place and why I wasn't having fun playing WoW anymore, was that I didn't have a community I was engaged with. This time around with EVE, I would need integrate myself into a community if there was any hope of the game getting its hooks into me. I'd been very loosely following EVE since my last attempt in 2014 and it's one of those games where I wish I had started playing it back in 2004 and had been playing it all this time.

I sold or moved all my junk over to the HSC (after discovering the Uni had moved in my absence). I still have my original Velator from back in the day. I started going on PVP roams in low sec. I still got lost a bunch and had no idea what I was doing, but I kept going out and eventually started to get more comfortable in low sec space and getting blown up. I managed to convince Matt Ross to play again and got him to join the Uni with me. We started a small ship building alt corp based out of the HSC. I think together I was bringing in like 200 mil a month in profit building t1 frigates, dessies, and cruisers in AMY and then Matt would ship them down to Stacmon for me to sell. A laughably small amount of isk for someone with over 100 mil SP like Matt, but it was a fun little thing to do in between roams and more than paid for my hyperkittens and magic merlins.

Interested in increasing our profits and expanding our ship building, and realizing that we were making a relatively paltry amount of money, I started looking at different options where to grow next. About this time, Jurius Doctor was getting ready to leave EVE Uni. He held a farewell campus tour that on a whim I decided to go on. I got blown up by the NSC bombing us while were bubbled and I had popped on my MWD to burn out (I was "pro" you see, I knew what a bubble was and that I needed to burn out to warp off!) which made me bathe in the fire of the bomb(s) all the more. A Ninazu was trotted out for all of us newbros to oooh and ahhh over on the PC9 home station undock. I dropped a clone and knew I would be back.

Null Sec had bitten me and I wanted more. I was still "living" at the HSC during this time, but almost every day I wasn't going on a low sec roam or managing the ship building corp's business, I was hopping in a travel fit Atron, and zipping down to the NSC. I started getting into PI. Combat site ratting was fun and profitable in my wonderful new ship that I could fly, the Gila! Mining the ice was lucrative. Combat was fun, even if I mostly just flew tackle or ewar frigates. I spent more and more time at the NSC and learned more and more about EVE and null sec life.

That's when Bob intervened. He opened a wormhole from AMY to some random C2, to 5-D in the back of the NSC pocket. It was pinged on slack while I was at work. When I got home, I saw it was still open and I decided that it was a sign and that it was time to take the plunge. I took my alt corp's orca and loaded up all my belongings and took the wormhole shortcut down to the NSC. I moved my training clone, and almost all my assets. From then on, I was an NSC'er!

I lived there for a little a few weeks before attending an Ask the Management. I enjoyed the chat and asked if there was some way I could help the NSC. I was having a lot of fun at the NSC and it's just my nature to want to help if there's some way I can. To my great surprise, Magic got me hooked up on the NSC hangar staff. I got to start seeing some of the background of how the campus and uni were run and was afforded the opportunity to start lending my voice in discussions when decisions were to be made.

By the end of the year, a critical mass of dissatisfaction with management, feeling they weren't being heard, the failed POCO conflict with -NOC-, and a handful of other incidents and complaints resulted in a period of what I call the Winter of NSC Rage. The fallout of this period resulted in about a third of the NSC's students, many of them pillars of the campus community, leaving EVE University and enjoying life in Sov Null. I was just as upset as my friends that left and the few that stayed along with me, but being upset at decisions doesn't help try to fix anything. Still, the NSC bled a lot of people and by the summer of 2018 we had probably lost 1/3 of the December 2017 population peak to other corps, and another 1/3 between stopping playing or playing at other campuses.

I had an idea I had cooked up. It was my answer to try and drive change in the Uni and the NSC and try and fix the issues I'd seen and rebirth the NSC into a glorious new era and so Project Ajax was born. While I was cooking my plan out, I started talking with Adrien Claremont more and more and discovered we were on very similar mind on a great many things. My proposal was shot down by the directorate. Discouraged but not deterred, I started working more closely with Adrien on NSC issues. I transitioned from the hangar staff to a newly created Logistics Officer position, stepping away from hangar duties while still being involved in supply chain and structure work (this position would morph to the Industrial Officer that Earl so well filled during his tenure on the NSC staff). After about a month of daily conspiring with Adrien, he was made the new NSC manager. We started hacking at and reforming anything and everything we could get away with.

Eventually, Adrien took on an Assistant Manager and I was pick. Together we would try to forge the NSC into something that resembled the campus in its glory days. This step moved me into the management level of EVE Uni staff work and I was exposed to a deeper layer of internal discussion, processes, and politics. I enjoyed my time as NSC AM. Adrien and I did much I feel was highly beneficial for moving the campus forward. Eventually, as life does, it got busy for Adrien and myself right as we tried to go into a deployment. While I enjoy that kind of planning, I was trying a bit of delegation but that didn't go all that well and we had a lot of stuff get done sloppily for that deployment ("uh, Titus I have my Thanny if you need something to drop the astrahus..." lol). That said, it was a huge undertaking by a lot of industrial and logistics personnel and for as much that went "non-optimally" there was a lot of things that went right, so hats off to everyone that helped with the prep work and setup for the deployment. I would have loved to have seen more people participate instead of sitting at home popping neutrals or chewing on moons; I really appreciate everyone that came out to Litom and did some pvp out there and participated in the deployment. Your fun was the purpose behind the immense work that went into setting the deployment up.

Following the deployment to Curse, I had some very big IRL hits. Not to go into details but I took a triple punch in the gut and was really down. After that, I was getting ready to either shutter my time in EVE or join another corp. While I had gotten to change some things I didn't like about in the Uni, I was still limited as an AM how deeply and widely I could effect change. Having worked so closely with Adrien, I felt I already had much of what being a campus manager in EVE Uni would be like, and so didn't care to spend another chunk of time as NSC manager once I found out Adrien would be retiring. I cleaned out my hangars and in fact the only thing I had left at at campus was a training clone and a travelceptor. I hadn't dropped roles or posted my goodbye yet and was still doing small management things for the NSC but the time to pull that trigger and leave would be rapidly approaching.

That is when Laura approached me. I'd already given notice to Adrien that I was looking at leaving, so management knew I was looking to leave soon. Laura offered me a job as director for some of the campuses. I had to decide to leave as originally intended or stick around for some good chunk of time and see if I could make a difference at the director level. I'm the type of person where if I see a problem and call it out, I feel I should try to have a solution to propose along with that complaint. Now I was being given the opportunity to try and drive change and improvement at a high level. I felt that I couldn't in good conscience not take advantage of this opportunity and then go on to complain about things I thought the Uni was doing wrong or I thought should do differently. It was time to put up or shut up.

So I accepted the position and became director for the NSC, LSC, and Solitude campuses. I would later also become the director for the FCC. I was taking over for Titus Tallang and those were some big shoes to fill. It was the beginning of February 2019 and now I had officially ascended to the Directorate and was now involved in some of the deepest levels of Uni discussions, information, and internal politics. I viewed my job mainly as trying to do anything I could to empower my managers to take care of and move their campuses forward. If they needed support from me, as long as it ran congruent to greater EVE Uni values or initiatives, I saw it as my goal to go to bat for my managers and give them the tools and resources they needed.

Hands down the biggest challenge I would face during my tenure as director would be needing to replace all of my campus managers within the first few months. Exorcist Wrath wanted to retire and Fergus has been an excellent replacement. By that time, the LSC had declined and was essentially one man and his love for gate camps; Urban Oxide would go on to replace Glen Burney as the LSC manager. Urban would prove the long standing theory of how to rebuild the LSC. You need people to live at the campus and form a community and to get that, you need ways to make money locally, and then you need a way for people to have stuff they need to make money and spend money, and you need space nearby for those people to spend that money with space ship explosions. The LSC was moved to Eugales and during Urban's term, that theory was proven beyond and the LSC flourished. Anyone looking to restart the LSC would be very wise to talk to Urban about the things he did and why and try to replicate his process.

My "home" campus of the NSC also needed a new manager with Archemide wanting to step down and move on. The possible pool of replacements was limited and I made the unusual decision to make an "outside hire" for the next NSC manager. I recruited my best friend Matt Ross to come lead the NSC. I knew there would be some adjustments with Matt having acclimatize to how the Uni works and people would need to get used to Matt's no nonsense approach and gruffness. Making sure things didn't explode at the NSC until everyone got settled took a lot of my playtime during the summer. I also took on responsibility for the FCC and installed B'aldrick as the manager and worked on some exciting new partnerships with the NPSI community.

Now, it is time for me to say goodbye. Real life has gotten to the point where I no longer have the time, energy, and focus required to properly execute the duties of a good, engaged director. I've tried to be an engaged, at the front lines kind of director and the fact that I have slipped from that in the past few months is indicative of a change needed. The changes I wanted to implement and the issues I have with the Uni, I mostly was able to at least try to implement or correct. I would have much preferred to leave the campuses in my charge in a better position, but at this point, outside of massive personal time investment, I don't have a plan to fix them. Without the needed staff you can't run a campus and without a suitably large enough community of people to draw on, you can't find the staff you need. Kickstarting a community is a race between burnout for the founders and getting a self sustaining community going with people to keep pouring fuel on over time. The glory of rebuilding the post-blackout NSC and restarting the LSC will belong to the team that comes after me.

For those remaining in the LSC and NSC and asking what is going to happen, Laura is going to be your escalation point until a replacement director and managers can be found and onboarded. If there is an officer remaining for what you need help with, try to hit them up first but don't hesitate to reach out to Laura if there is a problem that needs to be addressed until such time that the leadership chain can be rebuilt. I gave my notice last month and it's hard to find someone for a director position, so please have some patience while she rebuilds the leadership chain.

Thank you to everyone that I've played with over the last few years. It's been a fun ride. I didn't always make the right call or handle every situation as best as I could have; "learning opportunities" exist for leaders of all levels. :P Hopefully after reading my story this, people might be able to better understand where my heart was. I always wanted the best things for EVE University. That is what drove my decisions and what fueled my passion. I wish everyone the best of luck going forward and hope that the campuses and Uni can continue working on adapting to the ever evolving EVE Online and teaching new players about the game.

Fly safe, have fun, and good hunting!
\o/ Retired \o/ Director of Special Projects - NSC, LSC, Solitude Campuses, and the Fleet Command Course
Feeling lost or overwhelmed? Request an E-UNI Mentor today!

<<

Laura Karpinski

Portrait

Chief Executive Officer
Chief Executive Officer

Post 2019.10.14 08:25

Re: So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

Sincerely thank you, Eadrom, for helping when I needed you. You had a massive challenge jumping from Assistant Manager to Director, especially filling shoes as big as Titus', and you rose to the challenge. All the best for the future.
CEO of EVE University

Laura Karpinski of House E-Uni, first of her name, the undocked, Khaleesi of the Campuses, mother of unistas!
<<

Psychotic Fickity

Portrait

Director of Education
Director of Education

Post 2019.10.14 11:23

It was a pleasure working with you, even when we didn’t see eye to eye. I hope things for you go as you hope in real life. Good luck and cheers! Thanks for all you did.
Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImage

<<

Yrael Oramara

Portrait

Post 2019.10.14 11:52

Woooo! Finally!
Cya in Goldshire Inn, nerd :*
<<

Turlough Dominian

Portrait

Retired Director
Retired Director

Post 2019.10.14 13:10

hey eadrom don't be a stranger make sure to pop by every so often going to miss our random chit chats about gnomes and goblins.

Going to add look thanks for all you have done, from an outside perspective some people won't be in the position to relise just how much you where doing in the background which is the way for many many roles within corporations the cogs in the background that keep things ticking over arn't always on show this extends to all the managers/officers and totally to the members also cause even as a member you don't need to be staff to help your fellow corp mates, and ye like you mention some campus's could do with a little bit more life in them but I totally relate on the seance of how hard it can be to find suitable people who are willing to give up there very valuable time to help around the place, there is defiantly a good bunch around at all of the locations for sure some i think haven't found there true potential yet tho <3

But hey hold that head high and at no stage feel bad the facts be clear.
you put alot of time in
you put effort in
your heart was in the right place "for those that don't know he loves pony's"
you tried out many things for change some worked some didn't but thats the joys of change sometimes you don't know till you try.
you where my ying to my yang lol
Just like me i'm sure you made mistakes I know i make mistakes from time to time I try avoid making mistakes but unfortunately i know im going to make them just remember hold your head high as everyone makes them.
Anywho you did your best and thats all anyone can do , I do look forward to finding out who will be taking on your shoe's and leading those lovely murder kittens to glory

anywho I love you, you still crazzy at times but i love u <3

Retired Assistant Personnel Manager,Retired Director of special projects, Retired Assistant Guidance Manager, Retired Events Manager,Retired senior Personnel Officer Graduate,
<<

Glen Burney

Portrait

Post 2019.10.14 13:15

Thanks Eadrom for all your hard work! It's been a pleasure working with you :)
Glen
ImageImage
<<

Jeracho Dorne

Portrait

Finance Manager
Finance Manager

Post 2019.10.14 14:10

Thanks for everything mate, good luck moving forward. Youve left big shoes to fill. Fly safe . 07.
Finance Manager - Diplomat - Graduate

Retired - Assistant Diplomacy Manager - Assistant Manager LSC - Senior Personnel Officer - Solitude Campus Officer - Communication Officer

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
<<

Croixant

Portrait

Post 2019.10.14 16:01

Eadrom,

First of all a huge thank you for all the work that you put in! It is truly appreciated.

Have fun in your future endeavors and remember:

Stay Thirsty my Friend!

Croix
o7

Croixant
CCI Manager
<<

Ergan Eto

Portrait

Post 2019.10.14 17:40

May the Heart of Gold always pleasantly surprise you. Oh, and you're welcome.
<<

Xae Ghasha

Portrait

Post 2019.10.14 20:30

Thank you for your service!
<<

Troven Smalvard

Portrait

Post 2019.10.14 21:52

Enjoy the undock button Eadrom

i know you were slogging it out in the backrooms to try and move things forward against some treacle, hope the new freedom from bureaucratic keeps you in love with the game again

o7

ImageImage ImageImage
<<

B'aldrick Aivoras

Portrait

Post 2019.10.20 12:53

Fly dangerously Eadrom
Thanks for all your support o7

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Graduate

Assistant Orientation Manager | Senior Personnel Ofiicer