Playlist: EVE Online: Tutorial for Complete Beginners

Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
<<

Tezim Tukar

Portrait

Post 2019.07.31 20:19

Playlist: EVE Online: Tutorial for Complete Beginners

I got started with EVE because quill18 started a series of beginner videos, EVE Online: Tutorial for Complete Beginners: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLs3acGYgI1-u2U_Lo4bHCjphS8aGtplyJ. They've been a big help. He's still releasing new videos in the series and has asked for new topic suggestions in the comments of his videos.

Has anyone else ended up here in the EVE University Forum from quill18? Now to make my way through the How to Survive EVE Online videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEauSTU1fPwlePk0Y018g22MOPrsFEEHS.
<<

Tezim Tukar

Portrait

Post 2019.07.31 20:43

Re: Playlist: EVE Online: Tutorial for Complete Beginners

5 minutes into the How to Survive EVE Online video and I'm surprised that the tutorial is outdated. We no longer have steps to move the camera around, manually navigate, etc. Though I suppose the video was created over a year ago now.
<<

Edhin Delphiki

Portrait

Post 2019.07.31 20:59

Tezim Tukar wrote:5 minutes into the How to Survive EVE Online video and I'm surprised that the tutorial is outdated. We no longer have steps to move the camera around, manually navigate, etc. Though I suppose the video was created over a year ago now.

By default, you can click and hold the letter "q" in space to manually move your ship in space. Camera can be moved on the axis of the ship by left-clicking in space and dragging. You can pan your camera angle by right-clicking in space and dragging.

Left and right click assumes a right-handed mouse configuration. You would adjust for left handed accordingly.

Warm Regards,
Edhin
<<

Slyham Ormand

Portrait

Post 2019.08.22 17:01

Hi!

I also started playing EVE after watching Quill18's videos. I was not very familiar with EVE Online, and his video series showed everything that I can do in EVE. I currently play a lot of WoW (in a semi serious raiding guild) and I can see the similarities between the two. Looking forward to getting out and experiencing everything EVE has to offer.
<<

Rayanth

Portrait

Wiki Manager
Wiki Manager

Post 2019.09.01 00:23

Tezim Tukar wrote:5 minutes into the How to Survive EVE Online video and I'm surprised that the tutorial is outdated. We no longer have steps to move the camera around, manually navigate, etc. Though I suppose the video was created over a year ago now.

Belated reply, but - the videos take quite a bit to make. They've done two major overhauls to the Tutorial series recently, and they are discussing doing another. So it's hard to want to put the effort into redoing the videos if they're going to be obsolete soon anyway.

The video series you are referring to was done prior to a major overhaul that occurred around August 2018 as a result of new player feedback to CCP. Notably, that's when they removed the tutorial mission that forced you to die and lose your ship - not enough players heeded the subtle warnings about that and had what felt to them like a lot to lose, in their cargo hold. Some left the game as a result - if even the tutorial is so hard that you can't avoid dying, it feels like you're in for a really rough ride. (CCP stated the intent was to "make dying normal")

The New Player Experience was born then, and lasted in the form it was in up until the Invasion expansion just a couple months ago. I was in the midst of writing a full Tutorial article for the wiki for that NPE version, when I learned that they were removing 2/3 of the missions in it and streamlining everything, so I stopped working on the article. You can see where it was, here: https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/User:Rayanth/Sandbox

I did a lot of testing while making that article, intending to make it as similar to a regular Mission Report as I could. All of the loot, bounties, special rewards included (such as bonus SP towards skills or, if you already the skill, bonus injectable SP awarded to you in lieu of, optional missions...) -- sadly I lost most of that work in a hard drive crash, and then the changes were seen on Singularity so I gave up.

The present form of the NPE is, I think, too streamlined - it can be done so quickly that it doesn't let anything sink in. CCP is continuously revising things based on new player feedback and I'm once again on the fence of rewriting the article to go along with the current form, as I expect more changes to come.
UniWiki Manager - Teaching Staff
Scientia Ipsa Potentia Est

Return to EVE Discussion