New form of tanking

Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
<<

Friday Sirober

Portrait

Post 2019.05.25 03:13

New form of tanking

So yesterday, I was running relic and data sites, much like always. I'd jumped through a couple of wormholes and ended up in Russian nullsec. Managed to pick up about 400 million of loot and jumped into a wormhole looking for a quicker way back to highsec. Of course there wasn't a hs exit so I went further down the chain, running a few sites as I went.

I got to a C3 that Pathfinder told me has a hs static, so I jumped to a planet, cloaked up and started scanning. Next thing, there's a hound landing 10km from me, then a hurricane, then a orca. I checked the corp and their zkillboard, sure enough, they love to kill explorers.

I joined their corp chat just to see what's up. They start listing explorer kills, even specially pointing out Eve University kills. I had gotten enough loot for a skill injector and really wanted to finish off some drone skills. They kept reshipping and bouncing around where I was cloaked, how was I going to get out of this?

I decided humour tanking their aggression was the only answer. In their corp chat, I demanded a billion isk to stop my magnate invasion. LOLs and more kill mails.

So I told them I'd let them free for 1.2 billion. The conversation tone started changing then and I realised my humour tanking was working. I steadily increased my demands for isk and their aggression reduced correspondingly.

In the end, I had a promise that I could run the relic site in system and leave unharmed. I didn't really trust that ofc, so I told them that if a wh corp couldn't afford 2 billion for their own safety, they needed it more than me. Made a rush for a 'unknown space' wh, got lucky there and was back in jita in about 10 jumps.

No combat, no ISK but one of my most fun adventures since returning. Humour tanking is the way to go.
<<

Sacread

Portrait

Post 2019.05.25 10:30

Re: New form of tanking

Congrats on your skillful escape :p

If they have eyes on the hole when you jump, or if you warp uncloaked, it's relatively easy to guess where you are going.

To prevent enemies finding you:
- never jump to 0 or 100, pick a random one each time.
- don't jump to planets if possible, pick a random moon.
- always create a safish spot when in warp, and warp to that spot immediately when you land. It's better if the spot you've created is more than 8AU away from celestial.
- when you cloak, don't sit still, always pick a random direction and start flying.
<<

Rainton Rainz

Portrait

Post 2019.05.25 14:53

Remninds me of the time I was being hunted in a hole I was living in. Spent about 10 misn docking and undocking in diff cloaked ships to give the impression we had a small army on.

It worked, they stopped hunting me and left :P

In WH where there is no local, it Is the threat of something in the unknown that puts people off. If you can bluff it, well done :) Of course, some groups just don't care and will call your bluff whatever lol
<<

Friday Sirober

Portrait

Post 2019.05.26 06:01

Funnily enough, I'd just been thinking why bother with safes every time. Lol, watching shoyps land so close taught me that lesson.

Sacread wrote:- always create a safish spot when in warp, and warp to that spot immediately when you land. It's better if the spot you've created is more than 8AU away from celestial.[

Why 8 au?
<<

Rose Alice

Portrait

Post 2019.05.29 07:38

It could be because signatures only spawn 4 or less AU from a Celestial.
<<

Sacread

Portrait

Post 2019.05.29 11:25

Sorry, I missed your question.

I was in a bit of hurry when writing that message. There are two things to consider:
- Signatures spawn 4 AU or less from celestials.
- Directional Scanner range is 14AU.

So, having a safe that is at least 14AU away from any celestials/wormholes is the best way to remain relatively safe without a cloak. It's not always possible due to arrangement of celestials. As a precaution, I also like to stay the usual probe range also, so 8AU comes from there.

More info on safe spots here: https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Safe_spots

Return to EVE Discussion