Looking to be a Scout

Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
<<

Jacob Mugumble

Portrait

Post 2020.02.07 04:54

Looking to be a Scout

Hey lads o7

I've been getting back into EVE over the last month, and have decided to make scouting/exploring my career path. Up until this point I've mainly been using my exploration skills for hacking Relic and Data sites, but I would like to break into PvP and assist in fleet ops.

My questions are

What kind of skill plan is recommended for a scouting/exploring main?

What kinds of ships besides Covert Ops are of use in scouting operations?

What are some of the most important things to know as a scout?
<<

Shauny Tsero

Portrait

Mentor Manager
Mentor Manager

Post 2020.02.07 09:12

Re: Looking to be a Scout

Hey

One thing I recommend is Intro to D-Scan class as this will help greatly.

with scouting in PvP it is more searching for content whilst looking out for dangers/threats. So I recommend looking at propulsion jamming skills as well as Engineering, Navigation, as well as the usual tanking, targeting and weapon skills.

Also when fleet forms up volunteer to help scout, maybe not main scout but 2nd so you can hear comms of a scout etc.

Mentor Manager, Orientation Officer, Titles Officer, TA, Ensign, Former Student Advocate
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

ImageImage ImageImage ImageImage
<<

London 1941

Portrait

Post 2020.02.07 21:19

Jacob --

Come out to LSC for the next week at least. I'm going to have a few sneaky ships (including actual scouts) in the T1 varient based out of LSC HQ. I have scouting to do for PI and some stealth mining as well as looking at activity patterns in the locals ..say Eugales +5 and +6 systems out.

My interest is getting some "first 45 - 120 day" folks into LSC routines safely and profitably. That takes a little knowledge for the briefing materials.

Could definitely use a hand and would trade a couple sneaky ships and some cash for some low-observable type sneaking about and maybe some bookmarking. Let's talk.

I'm sneaky ... but not career scout sneaky. Would love some help for intel myself and to share.
ImageImage

If I had my life to live over, I'd live over a saloon. W.C.Fields.
<<

Mike Kingswell

Portrait

Assistant Teaching Manager

Post 2020.02.08 00:35

Heyya Jacob,

I do love to scout and I do love getting others into scouting - it's the most fun you can have in a fleet outside of a logiship!

When my schedule allows it I shall host my Intro to Scouting class again soon (tm). It covers the basics and the gives a overview over how it works and how to get into it. (And once you got the hang of it you can always upgreade to T2 ships and stuff...)
Until then I found a "old" recording that is still up to date and in accordance to the slidedeck I use for theclass:

Recording:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ApTP3y ... gHwIl/view
Slides:
https://slides.eveuniversity.org/?slidesID=394

(Should be fine - that being said I have not listend to it myself since I can't listen to myself...)

All that being said: The "best" way to learn scouting is to listen to scouts on fleets to pick up on their "patterns" and then tag along as secondary scout(and take over for part of the fleet) with someone experienced helping you out (especially via wispers).

Feel free to contact me ingame/forums/mumble/slack if there is anything specific I can potentially help with!
Image Image
<<

Biwako Acami

Portrait

Post 2020.02.08 08:20

Keep in mind that in general scouting for k-spacers refers to the act of jumping gates and finding content quickly in a system. This can be done in any ship and is mostly done in frigates like interceptors where you can warp around the system quickly to find content. Covert Ops ships are not ideal for this. This scouting is better suited to fleet ops that are scheduled with doctrines in mind. Having a doctrine fleet helps you in deciding engage-able targets for your fleet.

When you mention exploration and covert ops, you could also be referring to scouting in wormholes. This is more laid back and you tend to form up a fleet after content is found. Covert Ops tend to act as eyes for this type of pvp and at best can perform hero tackle in case the fleet is slow to arrive at the scene. Combat capable ships that can fly with Covert Ops cloaks can also find success in solo pvp if the targets are small enough.

You should be clear on your intended path because while the basics are similar, there is a lot of knowledge and preparation required for the two styles of scouting that do not overlap. Although k-space scouting knowledge can come in handy quite handy for wormhole scouting as k-space connections are common in low class wormholes.
ImageImageImageImage ImageImageImage
<<

Christoph Patrouette

Portrait

Post 2020.02.08 14:01

Biwako Acami wrote:Covert Ops ships are not ideal for this.

To explain this a bit more, you have to understand that the point of scouting in k-space is to find immediate content for a fleet. Usually this content does not want to be your content and docks up the second they see somebody in the system they dont know. So for this a CovOps is useless because you will show in local regardless, so you might as well take a ship that aligns with the doctrine and packs a bit more punch for the content that suddenly decides that you are going to be the content.

There are special cases where a FC asks for a cloaky scout, but those are few and far between.
<<

Waruiru

Portrait

Post 2020.02.08 15:01

If you are interested in wormhole scouting, have a look at this thread and consider joining the next Noob Night in the Hole to see the wormhole campus. https://forum.eveuniversity.org/viewtop ... 6&t=114771
<<

Gergoran Moussou

Portrait

Post 2020.02.08 15:57

PVP scouting is typically done in an interceptor (the Malediction and Stiletto being preferred over the other two). If you can't fly either of those yet, Slasher is the best T1 (which has an additional use in that T2 frigates can't fit into novice FW complexes).

Learn how to quickly use directional scan to find and quickly tackle targets. Learn how to look for potential content on DOTLAN.

Combat probing is a useful skill, but less important for scouts. Outside of a small gang, this is mainly the responsibility of people in the fleet's commander or command group. In small gangs, you'll likely see tactical destroyers doing this because they have a utility high slot and a hull fitting bonus for this. This is the most likely use of covert ops frigates in a large fleet, though the FC might be flying a strategic cruiser or flag cruiser (both of which are very durable for cruiser-sized ships to avoid the FC being headshot, flag cruisers are just EXTREMELY durable but capable of doing nothing else). Combat probing when looking for someone more likely to scare him into docking/tethering until you leave than it is to get you a fight.

There is one exception to this: in wormholes. The Astero is probably the best ship for hunting the chain when you have backup available to call. The principle is similar: use the directional scanner to go around and find stuff, just do it cloaked rather than really fast. I would recommend not using the Astero (or Stratios) for exploration because for the cost, a Buzzard or Anathema works better and you shouldn't be trying to clear rats from a site in an Astero anyway (depending on the site, maybe a Stratios). Once you've figured out how to fly an Astero/Stratios properly, you can consider moving up to a Loki or Legion, but you should absolutely not consider flying those until you know what you're doing.

Return to EVE Discussion