Reflection

Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
<<

Psychotic Fickity

Portrait

Director of Education
Director of Education

Post 2019.01.13 02:25

Re: Reflection

Titus,
Much respect. I hope that this brings a bit of peace back into your life, it is well deserved! Thank you for all the work you have done, and for your guidance.
Cheers :coffee2:
Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImage

<<

Azmodeus Valar

Portrait

Director of Logistics
Director of Logistics

Post 2019.01.13 02:47

Thanks for everything Titus, and trust me when I say I understand.
Former:
<<

Torg Navatin

Portrait

Post 2019.01.13 03:19

Titus - glad that you made the realisation, hopefully on time. You're one of the guys that make me actually logging in into the game (and of course a few others, you know who you are). It's just internet spaceships (for most of the world), but I don't even feel mildly silly for praising your dedication and professionalism in here. I'm sure you're doing a great job IRL in whatever you do out there.

I know the feelz, different reasons, though...120% day job, a missing full-time equivalent on a project @ day job for almost a year now, parents not getting any younger, friggin' lawn-mowing and bicycle repairing. Sometimes it feels like death by a thousand cuts (but I'm getting better at PI).

I hope to still see you occasionally in space, maybe when POCOs need to be set on fire and we're just shooting crap on Mumble and PlugDJ. We need someone to tell us to press F1 after a torpedo-reload, after all.

All the best in the new year!

Torg
<<

John Parmelee

Portrait

Post 2019.01.13 04:54

Titus,
First of all, thanks for everything you have done for E-Uni, you have done an amazing job, I personally really appreciated the post, it was a good reminder to myself I am way too good at over committing to things until i burn out myself so it was a good reminder to reflect a bit and think about it so.

I hope that you can come back to the game someday and be able to enjoy actually getting to play.
Until we meet again o/,
~JP
John Parmelee
Assistant Incursions Coordinator | Teaching Assistant

ImageImageImage
<<

Kalaya Corin

Portrait

Post 2019.01.13 06:50

Thanks greatly Titus.
Take a break, find the balance, and rediscover the love.
Stay well!
<<

John Silverfox

Portrait

Assistant Mentor Manager
Assistant Mentor Manager

Post 2019.01.13 08:21

Although I have only been a part of this community a short time, I thank you for what you have helped developed and grown along side your time with EVE University. Thank you for being awesome! Well written.

John Silverfox
Want a custom signature? EVEMail: John Silverfox
<<

Jeracho Dorne

Portrait

Assistant Diplomacy Manager
Assistant Diplomacy Manager

Post 2019.01.13 08:34

Sorry to see you go Titus, you were always there when we needed a Director, and never shirked from making tough decisions. The Uni is a better place for having you in it. Fly safe bro and always make time to chill in RL.
Assistant Manager (Diplomacy) - LSC Campus Officer - Graduate

Retired - Senior Personnel Officer - Solitude Campus Officer - Communication Officer

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
<<

Jilokari Kurvora

Portrait

Director of Human Resources

Post 2019.01.13 08:49

Thank you for your years of service Titus. Enjoy you well earned retirement!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
<<

B'aldrick Aivoras

Portrait

Fleet Command Course Manager
Fleet Command Course Manager

Post 2019.01.13 09:04

Titus you've been a great example of the selflessness that many members of staff given to the Uni and it's members. I hope you stick around and undock in EVE just to have fun. It's been a pleasure flying with you

o7

FCC Manager
|
Graduate | Assistant Orientation Manager | Senior Personnel Ofiicer

ImageImageImageImageImage
<<

Aren Dar

Portrait

Diplomacy Manager
Diplomacy Manager

Post 2019.01.13 11:40

Good luck Titus -- thanks for everything, including knowing when to quit.

Hope you rediscover the joy of the game.
<<

Kyle Hargrove

Portrait

Post 2019.01.13 12:19

So, I feel like I have some personal perspective to add here.

I start by doing something which I rarely do, because my past self always seems kinda dumb to me: capitalizing on something I already wrote, and which seems completely unrelated. If you have some three-four minutes to spare, please read here.

You're back? Good. Now put that under the light of what Titus wrote in the original post and the article he linked and that I had been -- independently -- also reading in those days (guess that's what you get for using Firefox).

The year 2017 was a bumpy ride for me: I started working, and it had been overwhelming, with a ton of pressure and stress, good results and even better results. At the end of July 2017, I lost one of my best friends, my mentor, and my academic supervisor. I had won a grant to start my PhD with him as my supervisor on Nov 1st 2017. When he passed, I still had 6 exams plus a MsC thesis to write. At the beginning of September 2017, I still had 6 exams plus my thesis left to graduate. On September 17th 2017 I had one exam left plus the thesis, and I started co-teaching for a course with 80 students. October 31st, I graduated. November 1st, PhD starts. December 18th, we finish the course we started in September. December 21st, I leave EVE University because I'm starting to feel a bit overwhelmed on not being able to deliver on that too. December 31st, 2017 was over and I cried a river.

Now, 2018 has been a blast. I didn't play much EVE at all, I still worked a lot and put a good number of work-related successes under my belt, but I also started some very different hobbies which I didn't know I could ever pick up. In March, I started dancing (still can't believe it), and in June, I started sailing. I worked a lot, of course, but I kind of forced myself do other things when I was supposed not to work. And you know what? It turns out that it was a good choice, and I think I have never been in better shape and more sharp and productive, with the ability to also keep doing this somewhat long-term.

In other words, in 2018, I figured out I maybe am human after all, which is in no small realization since one of the sentences I hear the most is "But you're just different, so $thing doesn't really apply to you". Titus had a big part in pointing out that maybe I needed to treat myself as a human being. Throughout 2017, he made me notice where I was overdoing things ("burning out"). He was of huge support for me in August 2017, that as you can imagine was quite a shitty month, and has just been a good friend, which is a non-trivial achievement by itself.

Now, reading Titus' announcement, I just ask myself: is this where Titus realizes he's human too?

Happy 2019: it'll be a blast.
<<

Eir Geiravor

Portrait

Post 2019.01.13 12:37

Titus -

We've never met, but I personally benefited from the projects you supported from above - ensuring there was the leadership and resources available.

Before I joined I didn't like to fly into a system that was 0.5 sec let alone below, now I'm loving my gaming life in WHC - So Thanks

Come join us out in Innu, it's the perfect place to unwind and remember why you loved the game in the first place.

- Eir
<<

Mike Kingswell

Portrait

Assistant Teaching Manager

Post 2019.01.13 13:11

o7
Image Image
<<

Tal Tracyn

Portrait

Post 2019.01.13 13:23

Take it easy Titus and all the best mate.
Hopefully we'll see you in space sometime.
o7
<<

Nuefrau Simalia

Portrait

Post 2019.01.13 13:56

Thanks for everything you've done Titus.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
PreviousNext

Return to EVE Discussion