Economics of learning implants (I did the math)

Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
<<

Kano Fiera

Portrait

Post 2018.11.15 22:23

Economics of learning implants (I did the math)

I was slacking on replacing my learning implants after a recent pod loss, so I did some simple math on how much I was losing per day of delay. These calculations are for Omega clones; for Alpha clones, implants provide half as much value, and only up to 5 million skill points.

Like anything else in Eve, skill points are worth cold hard ISK. If you have under 50 million skill points, a large injector grants 400k points, and costs 750m ISK, for a cost of 1875 ISK per skill point were you to try and buy them. The difference in price between a skill extractor and injector is about 370 million, and it costs 500k skill points to turn an extractor into an injector, for a value added of 740 ISK per skill point were you to try and sell them.

People aren't strictly economically rational, but if they were, we could assume that anyone who is neither buying nor selling skill injectors values their earned skill points somewhere in between those two numbers.

Each skill has a primary and a secondary attribute associated with it. Each +1 on the primary is worth 1 skill point per minute, and each +1 on the secondary is worth 0.5 points per minute.

Each 1 skill point per minute produces about 525k skill points per year, so a pair of +4 implants, which will produce 6 extra skill points per minute, will result in more than one large skill injector worth of skill points every two months. If you sold every extra skill point you earned, you could lose your pair of +4s once every week and still come out on top.

Of course, if you swap into a non-training clone for dangerous play sessions, you never have to lose implants. Just don't trigger your ~24 hour clone swap cooldown for anything less than a 10% chance of losing your pod; the single day you go without your +4 implants is worth a minimum of 6 million ISK at sell price, or 16 million ISK at buy price. Better to swap at a Citadel (no cooldown) if you have one available, or even not swap at all if the risk isn't that great. After doing this math, I won't swap out of my training clone in lowsec anymore; I will just keep my eye on my podsaver. (Null and WH are another matter.)

So, are +5s worth it? If you don't lose your pod very often, the answer is yes... except that the skill train to Cybernetics V is long and painful, which I have not accounted for in the math above. So far I haven't taken the plunge. But I am training up to IV right now -- it definitely seems like it will pay off in short order.
<<

Ernesto Guevarti

Portrait

Post 2018.11.15 22:38

Re: Economics of learning implants (I did the math)

Remember that Cybernetics V is also required for many of the high end implants as well as the attribute ones, so its a train you may end up wanting to do anyway (for instance the command burst implants need it)
Daniel Wittaker wrote:You could have a bright career ahead of you in Goonforums. That's some upvote-quality Helldump posting. Well done, sir.
<<

Mike Kingswell

Portrait

Assistant Teaching Manager

Post 2018.11.15 22:44

Good post. Have you considered adding it to the wiki? I feel it cpuld be there with "the cold numbers" and a "personal recommendation" or something.
Anyways very informative!
Image Image
<<

Kalaya Corin

Portrait

Post 2018.12.02 21:13

Kano Fiera,

In days past before Upwell Structures, we would loss 19 hours (Infomorph Synchroning to V) to jump into a clean clone. Because of that, your computation is of merit -- I kept only Basic (+3) at PC9-AY since jumping their meant a lot of dying. But today with Upwell structures you can jump right from your training clone (+5) to your clean clone (null) go and and fight. When the operation is complete, you can jump right back into your training clone. No significant loss in either training time or cost of implants.

I now keep training clones at all my jump sites.

I should add that since Upwell structures can be attacked and destroyed -- taking your clones with it -- you need to keep this in mind. I keep my training clone In PC9-AY III -- Intaki Commerce Trading Post and my clean clone in Coruscant. When an operation occurs, I fly to Coruscant, switch clones (to +3 form me), fly the operation, and then return to Coruscant, switch back to the training clone, and fly back to Intaki Commerce.

Thanks for your post,
Fly safe and be dangerous!
<<

Franc Severasse

Portrait

Post 2019.02.23 20:10

Along with the economics of learning implants one should also consider opportunity cost of buying the implants vs using that is for something else. I wrote a short post about opportunity cost on the forum but thought to mention it here to. This seems like a good example.

One should also consider the opportunity cost of training a skill to level five as well. So for a rank 1 skill it takes about 45000 total sp to train to level four, while it takes around 256000 total sp to train a skill to level five. Since there Are five levels to each skill you can assume that each level provides a 20% boost to some particular area. Consider that training a skill to level four takes 18% of the total time to train to level five. It might take two days to train to level four but five days alone to train to level five. Therefore if you train to lvl 4 you get 80% of the benefit for 18% of the investment. So consider what you could be training instead of cybernetics five.
<<

Falus Templar

Portrait

Post 2019.03.27 10:01

Kano Fiera wrote:...Better to swap at a Citadel (no cooldown) if you have one available, or even not swap at all if the risk isn't that great...

I realize this post is a few minutes old. This caught my eye. We can swap clones without cooldown at a Citadel? :shock:
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
<<

Falling Snow KumaMoto

Portrait

Assistant Production Manager
Assistant Production Manager

Post 2019.03.27 12:39

Yes, as long as you're in the structure where the jump clone is located, your jump will cause no cooldown.
ImageImage Image ImageImage
<<

Ithugor Wells

Portrait

Post 2019.04.18 22:00

It takes 62.5 days to pay off the skillpoint cost of getting to Cybernetics IV for +4 implants and 292.7 days to pay off the (marginal cost/benefit vs. just settling for +4 implants) for paying off Cybernetics V for +5 implants.

Return to EVE Discussion