Speeding Up the Game

Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
<<

Mezzo Risalo

Portrait

Post 2017.02.24 16:34

Speeding Up the Game

Hello All!

I've been in the Uni for a while now, but in the last 3 weeks haven't been able to find the time to do more than log in and keep PI running. I really enjoy the fleets and classes that are usually going on weekends and weeknights, but I'm finding a big gap of content for anyone who can only devote 30-45 mins a day or less.

Granted, it can take 30 mins to get to a trade hub depending on what you're flying, but there has to be more to the game that I can do when I can't find 2+ hours in an evening open.

What am I missing?

I'm a teacher and coach, so it may just be that Eve is an impossible game for me. Then the problem is I've got a year of Omega on 2 accounts paid for (amazing what happens when students find out you game) so I don't want to just drop off the map entirely.
﴾Not a Female﴿ But you knew that already :-)
<<

Eadrom Vintarus

Portrait

Post 2017.02.24 20:08

Re: Speeding Up the Game

I would take advantage of the campus shipping programs to move your goods to Jita for sale, or at the very least, do the bulk of the moving for you.

The LSC campus services a large variety of locations and the NSC provides service for Solitude and the NSC. If you are a member of the AMC, I think they have a shipping service as well, but I'm not positive on that (maybe it's just a buyback? not sure).

LSC Shipping Service:
viewtopic.php?f=214&t=73628

NSC Shipping Service:
viewtopic.php?f=212&t=97512&p=823644#p823644

If you don't need the goods shipped ASAP, the above services are an extremely nice way to get your stuff to Jita for sale. Then you just keep a market alt at Jita so after your goods are delivered by a campus shipping service, you just contract the stuff to your alt, relog to your alt, and sell them. Your main won't need to go to the trade hub at all. Vice versa works as well. Buy stuff with your Jita alt and then contract to your Uni main and have the campus shipping programs move them down.

That should save you a lot of time. It will take longer to get your stuff moved than if you did it yourself, but as long as you don't need to sell your PI stuff ASAP, it should free up some of your daily play time. Enough to run a couple missions or do some low sec pvp roaming or whatever floats your boat!

Personally, most of my workday play time goes to prepping. Moving assets around, getting ships staged, refreshing manufacturing or research jobs, burning bookmarks, and so on. Then on my weekends when I can play for good stretches of time, all I have to do is login and have fun. Joining fleet roams is as simple as logging in and grabbing a ship I've previously staged. I've found that really helps me feel like my much smaller gaming sessions during the week are productive and I like how on my weekend I can just login and go without needing to do a bunch of pesky prep work before getting to the meat of my fun.
NSC Staff: Hangar Team
Please let me know if any NSC hangar needs attention!

<<

Valpa Kaloi

Portrait

Post 2017.02.25 10:27

I have a bit similar situation, mostly short sessions and not many per week.

If PI is taking most of your time, do it once per week. Not that much ISK but less time spent on it. Just because you can do PI, does not mean that you have to actually spend time in it unless you really enjoy it.

Try not to spend time hauling your stuff around, use the campus shipping and buyback services Eadrom mentioned and try to keep your own hauling to a minimum. Planning a few days ahead helps.

I'm not sure how much PvP you can find in a short session, but PvE provides many possibilities. You can run a mission or three (no need to loot/salvage if you don't enjoy that), play some combat anomalies or go exploring and dock when your time is up and continue from there tomorrow. Just make sure you press the undock button as soon as you can and spend most of your precious time in space doing something you enjoy. (Or in station trading or setting up industry jobs or whatever you really enjoy doing, but I got the impression that you would want more space-time :D )

Bottom line: do what you enjoy doing and minimise "ISK-making activities" unless you really need the money for something.
<<

Guiliano Thellere

Portrait

Post 2017.02.25 11:23

In terms of classes, have you gone through the class library to see if there's any old recordings? I struggle to attend scheduled classes around RL but consume most of them from there. Not much help if you intend to apply for a graduate title in the future but better than not learning specific game mechanics etc.
<<

Mezzo Risalo

Portrait

Post 2017.02.25 18:24

My comment about the time it takes to get to a trade hub was only to illustrate how long simple tasks can take in eve, it was poorly worded, my apologies. I rarely haul anything, and have most of what I need.

I have found myself spending way too much time staging when I have long sessions available, so I thank you for that nugget of wisdom as I wouldn't normally "plan ahead" for a video game :)

Valpa Kaloi wrote:
Bottom line: do what you enjoy doing and minimise "ISK-making activities" unless you really need the money for something.

Originally, I thought if I wasn't going to be playing I should somehow be making money, hence the PI. I don't mind checking in for that as it opens up my abilities to PvP or PvE. I'm also curious about the Production side of things, but I've already invested so much time into learning the other skills I don't think I want to wait around for other minor isk making options to unlock.

Thanks for the advice all :)
﴾Not a Female﴿ But you knew that already :-)

Return to EVE Discussion