Eve History Question: How old is this ship / fit

Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
<<

Isidur Beansoup

Portrait

Post 2017.02.13 19:45

Eve History Question: How old is this ship / fit

Hi all,

on saturday one of my alts get this ship from an action in Fade. I have seen this special ship on contract for about 6 month before it was finaly sold. Normaly i will repack and sell it but after a closer look on the fit i think this is a real oldtimer and a former times top of the line mining ship. There is even some old ore in the cargo hold.

I am interested how old is this thing, i play now for 3 years and on the start of my eve life i read some older mining guides about battleship mining.

[Rokh, El Miner]
Expanded Cargohold II
Co-Processor II
Co-Processor II
Mining Laser Upgrade II
Mining Laser Upgrade II

100MN Monopropellant Enduring Afterburner
J5b Enduring Warp Scrambler
Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
Large Shield Booster I

Miner II
Miner II
Miner II
Miner II
Miner II
Miner II
Miner II
Miner II

Large Processor Overclocking Unit I

-------------------------------------------

Some Stats (all V):

EHP : 65.900
Speed : 91,2 / 229 m/s
Align : 13,4 sec
Mining : 53465 m3/h
Cargo : 796,9 m3

Cargohold full every 52 sec

Current Location: 7RM-N0

PS:

There is even the question should "El Miner" be recycled or keeped as part of the history of mining ?

Isidur Beansoup
<<

Marius Labo

Portrait

Retired Director
Retired Director

Post 2017.02.13 19:56

Re: Eve History Question: How old is this ship / fit

Prior to the addition of actual mining ships (barges and exhumers) you had the racial mining frigates (now they are the logistics frigates) and some cruisers had bonuses for mining/mining drones, and then mining in battleships was also a thing.

When I started playing almost 7 years ago the mining barges and exhumers existed, but there weren't the actual ORE mining frigates (Venture, etc.).

In short, the mining Rokh is an ancient thing of the past. Some were still mining in these probably when I first started, simply because old habits die hard, even though battleship mining was obsolete then. Once the ship rebalance for mining barges/exhumers came and they added the Venture (in mid 2012 if I recall correctly) those changes would have signaled the death-knell for mining in anything else, really, including GSC farms to support mining.

If you keep it in this fit, etc., it's practically useless other than for nostalgic value.
<<

Cassiel Seraphim

Portrait

Campus Manager
Campus Manager

Post 2017.02.13 20:08

By the time I started playing EVE in 2008, the barges were already here and better than the battleships and cruisers in almost all cases. The battleships like Rokhs and Apocalypses could serve as a weird but tankier version, as could the Osprey, but could never really surpass the yields of even Mining Barges, let alone the Exhumers.

The reason they lingered, if I'm to guess, was probably because people could do some mining without really training too much into the specific mining skills (especially with the Osprey).

As a sidenote ... for a long time, Battlecruisers and Cruisers were still used to huff gas, as back then we didn't have the fancy O.R.E. frigates Marius mentioned above.
<<

Turhan Bey

Portrait

Director of Logistics
Director of Logistics

Post 2017.02.13 20:58

Another quirky little mining relic of the past was the AFK industrial. As you can imagine, a single Mining Laser II on an industrial's high slot yielded an absolutely anemic ore income rate. But with only a basic active tank barely enough to survive the random belt rat, it was something you could just leave sitting in a belt all day and still never fill its cargo hold. You needed only to point it at a new rock every 30-60 min. Most players would ignore it, as it was an easy but not particularly glamorous kill and not usually worth the sec hit. But this is EVE, so they still died every so often. Mostly it was used on a quick-train alt with zero implants, and thus it cost near nothing to lose. But it was never popular because, obviously.
ImageImageImage
"The first mistake most gameplay zealots make is thinking that the game should revolve around them. The second is believing that it already does."
"Maybe it's just a game. Or perhaps it's a world. Perhaps it's a community. One thing is for certain: If it's only a game to you, then that is all it will ever be."
<<

Cassiel Seraphim

Portrait

Campus Manager
Campus Manager

Post 2017.02.13 21:14

Turhan Bey wrote:Another quirky little mining relic of the past was the AFK industrial. As you can imagine, a single Mining Laser II on an industrial's high slot yielded an absolutely anemic ore income rate. But with only a basic active tank barely enough to survive the random belt rat, it was something you could just leave sitting in a belt all day and still never fill its cargo hold. You needed only to point it at a new rock every 30-60 min. Most players would ignore it, as it was an easy but not particularly glamorous kill and not usually worth the sec hit. But this is EVE, so they still died every so often. Mostly it was used on a quick-train alt with zero implants, and thus it cost near nothing to lose. But it was never popular because, obviously.
I actually did that, starting out. Put my Bestower out there in a belt in 0.9 - 1.0 space (where there are no rats), with a trusty Mining Laser on it and cargo expanders. I scanned down the biggest rock and fired it up before going to bed or class.

It wasn't much, but a few million here and there paid for a lot of skillbooks and modules starting out, it was also quite thrilling to come back to see whether I had been killed or not. I was lucky and never got any attention for the short period I did that.
<<

BobbyRush

Portrait

Post 2017.02.13 21:51

Cassiel Seraphim wrote:
Turhan Bey wrote:Another quirky little mining relic of the past was the AFK industrial. As you can imagine, a single Mining Laser II on an industrial's high slot yielded an absolutely anemic ore income rate. But with only a basic active tank barely enough to survive the random belt rat, it was something you could just leave sitting in a belt all day and still never fill its cargo hold. You needed only to point it at a new rock every 30-60 min. Most players would ignore it, as it was an easy but not particularly glamorous kill and not usually worth the sec hit. But this is EVE, so they still died every so often. Mostly it was used on a quick-train alt with zero implants, and thus it cost near nothing to lose. But it was never popular because, obviously.
I actually did that, starting out. Put my Bestower out there in a belt in 0.9 - 1.0 space (where there are no rats), with a trusty Mining Laser on it and cargo expanders. I scanned down the biggest rock and fired it up before going to bed or class.

It wasn't much, but a few million here and there paid for a lot of skillbooks and modules starting out, it was also quite thrilling to come back to see whether I had been killed or not. I was lucky and never got any attention for the short period I did that.

You were saying?*

*I forgot the tank...
Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image

<<

Cassiel Seraphim

Portrait

Campus Manager
Campus Manager

Post 2017.02.13 23:38

Killmail says Isanamo (0.6).
Cassiel Seraphim wrote:Put my Bestower out there in a belt in 0.9 - 1.0 space (where there are no rats)
Keeps the rats away :)
<<

Maxwell Power

Portrait

Post 2017.02.28 06:38

It has rigs on it. That means it's not THAT old.

Return to EVE Discussion