The Magic 14

For general discussion about EVE Online.
Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
Galen Dnari

Re: The Magic 14

Post by Galen Dnari »

From my dictionary: doctrine | ˈdɒktrɪn |
noun
a belief or set of beliefs held and taught by a Church, political party, or other group: the doctrine of predestination.
• US a stated principle of government policy, mainly in foreign or military affairs: the Truman Doctrine.

The word as used here clearly has a different meaning. What's not clear to me is what that meaning is. A doctrine is a fit? A ship? Something else?
Azareus Second

Post by Azareus Second »

A fleet doctrine is a a set of one or more type of ships with preset fits that are designed to compliment each other increasing the overall effectiveness of the whole fleet and its probability of winning engagements or otherwise achieving the objectives of the doctrine. The purpose of the doctrine influences the fleet composition such that each fit is designed to fulfill a specific role while ensuring a uniformity of the engagement profile. Fleet Doctrines that have been tested and proven successful in various battles or trials are adopted as official doctrines for corporations to be used in specific situations. The choice of the doctrine is typically the Fleet Commander's call, while the choice of the ship within the doctrine is typically the fleet members'.
8)

https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Doctrines
Mostly harmless
Galen Dnari

Post by Galen Dnari »

I see. Thanks.
Apollyons One

Post by Apollyons One »

Ryousuke Takahashi wrote:Out of curiosity, I noticed in my fits that I need energy upgrades a lot. Maybe, this should be added or a better question why was this not part of the original concept?
As i stated in the original post, there are many skills that are required for advancement beyond these.

These skills are a baseline that apply to all ships, beyond these other skills will be required to fit the various other modules.
Apollyons One

Post by Apollyons One »

Update:

Added the Alpha clone limitations to the list
Wiki edited to reflect those changes
Iliad Soldaire

Post by Iliad Soldaire »

Very helpful, thank you. The skill menu can be very confusing to newbros and even myself sometimes.
Revain Fehrnah

Post by Revain Fehrnah »

Apollyons One wrote:Update:

Added the Alpha clone limitations to the list
Wiki edited to reflect those changes
This is great. I am sending this link to all the new people I got o try out EVE. Now to see how many stay. I always say do Tutorial, then career missions then apply to E-Uni.
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
Jacob Hodgson

Post by Jacob Hodgson »

This is a fantastic post, and great direction to get flying.

Thanks for this!
Faelare Solette

Post by Faelare Solette »

Great info to pass on to new players, especially when it comes to power, CPU and capacitor usage for fits. I learned the hard way when I first started and had to dance around disable fittings, and going through the skill list years ago.
Shazam Valentine

Post by Shazam Valentine »

Great list. I was missing a few. But, i think space ship command 4 should also be added.
Arkady Marten
Production Manager
Production Manager

Post by Arkady Marten »

Shazam Valentine wrote: 2021.12.04 21:34 ... But, i think space ship command 4 should also be added.
Spaceship Command is part of the Magic 14, both here and at https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/The_Magic_14. Did you have a different skill in mind perhaps?

To what level you train the Magic 14 is up to you always. The list in the original post here got all of them where you don't start out at 3 up to that level, but the recommendation is to get them up to lvl 4 quickly and eventually of course all to 5.
Image Image
Rogue Nighn

Post by Rogue Nighn »

why does this post keep getting necroed:

This is my standard warning and pet peeve the Magic 14 has a warning on the wiki, please read it and be done with trying to make this a skill plan, that is old thinking and needs to change for the sake of newbros everywhere.

Important: This page is NOT intended to be a skill plan. This is a list of 'support' skills which impact all the ships you will fly. Training them is important because it will give you an edge, but there is no point training support skills without first training the skills you need to actually USE the ships and modules. We would suggest you get these skills trained up after training the minimal skills required to actually use the ships you want to fly.

can we archive this at this point, the original post is from 2014
She/Her
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Despair Lucio

Post by Despair Lucio »

should bilogy on this list to since it allows for faster trainin with implants
Anidien Dallacort
Director of Education
Director of Education

Post by Anidien Dallacort »

Despair Lucio wrote: 2022.03.08 18:29 should bilogy on this list to since it allows for faster trainin with implants
Biology increases the duration of boosters and accelerators - Cybernetics is the skill that unlocks implants.

Neither one really fits in the magic 14 - the 14 skills in the list directly impact the base performance stats of ships.

Cybernetics is for sure an important skill - and the Magic 14 is not the end all, be all of skill sets.
Anidien Dallacort - Director of Education
Skirmish FC, Graduate

Apollyons One

Post by Apollyons One »

Rogue Nighn wrote: 2021.12.05 14:00 why does this post keep getting necroed:

This is my standard warning and pet peeve the Magic 14 has a warning on the wiki, please read it and be done with trying to make this a skill plan, that is old thinking and needs to change for the sake of newbros everywhere.

Important: This page is NOT intended to be a skill plan. This is a list of 'support' skills which impact all the ships you will fly. Training them is important because it will give you an edge, but there is no point training support skills without first training the skills you need to actually USE the ships and modules. We would suggest you get these skills trained up after training the minimal skills required to actually use the ships you want to fly.

can we archive this at this point, the original post is from 2014
As the OP, I'll say this...

this was NEVER a "you must train this immediately, nothing else, this is THE skill plan"... I, quite literally, defined WHY i wrote this list and HOW it benefits those that have the same questions all players have had in the past 20 years..."What should i train next?"

Yes, over the years CCP has made adjustments and evolutions to the base skill levels, alpha limits, etc. and I don't believe there is -ever- a SINGLE answer to what to do next. Afterall, EVE is a sandbox... you do what you WANT. However, guidance -can- be necessary along the way.