Numerous Questions from New pilot

For general discussion about EVE Online.
Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
Helleana Stord Kaundur

Numerous Questions from New pilot

Post by Helleana Stord Kaundur »

Hi,

There is so much information and loads to read while trying to also do the new beginning agent missions' I am almost finished all off these and have acquired some basic stuff.

But my questions are:
Q: If I am looking for stuff on the market and its a few jumps away but cheaper in like 07 space is this safe to purchase from there and how do I know do these have scams that are not true can anybody purchase on the market from anybody?

Q: Where should I relocate my home base after joining EVE Uni currently in the starting location for the beginning missions?
Q: With relation to this is this safe to package ships and gear and transport to a new home base or I think you guys offer a ferry solution how and where do I find this information?

Q: People talk about Alts and using these can somebody please explain the purpose and why people do this?
Q: People mention not using auto pilot is this the same as warping to mission and docking from the missions screen?
Q: Last question is there a good place to understand what the ship simulator does and how to use it also the fit out window to know what module does what along with implants how to install and there effects?

So sorry for all the questions I have so many more so its good to have a place to ask and get relative feed back sorry if this is the wrong place to post happy to listen and take advice :)
HSK
Uryence
Teaching Manager
Teaching Manager

Re: Numerous Questions from New pilot

Post by Uryence »

Helleana Stord Kaundur wrote: 2022.01.26 11:24 Hi,

There is so much information and loads to read while trying to also do the new beginning agent missions' I am almost finished all off these and have acquired some basic stuff.

But my questions are:
Q: If I am looking for stuff on the market and its a few jumps away but cheaper in like 07 space is this safe to purchase from there and how do I know do these have scams that are not true can anybody purchase on the market from anybody?
If the item for sale is in a high-security system (0.5 or above) and all the systems on your route to it are high security (0.5 or above), then it's fairly safe. If you're transporting very high-value items in high sec, people might still find it financially worthwhile to blow you up at the cost of their own ships. But if you're a new player, you're probably not going to be transporting very high cost items.

So really it's about weighing up whether the cost saving of buying something that's distant is worth the time cost of travelling to it and transporting it where you want it.

Anyone can purchase on the open market from anyone. You must check prices carefully, and make sure you're sorting sell orders so that the cheapest ones are at the top, to check you're not buying something at a cost in the wrong order of magnitude. Outright scamming is, though, rarer on the open market. Scams are more common in contracts and you should be very careful about contracts from players you don't know or trust (contracts within Eve Uni are more trustworthy).
2022 fleet command cumulative delta: 33,014,075,514.00 ISK
Koris the Second
Intake & Progression Manager
Intake & Progression Manager

Post by Koris the Second »

Hey there! I'll just go through your questions and answer them in the order you've asked.

1. System security and trading

As long as the space is 1.0-0.5 it's still "high security", meaning CONCORD will punish aggressors. Keep in mind that this will save you from random PvP, but if you are carrying something extremely valuable (I'm talking hundreds of millions here) or are flying an expensive ship that looks good on a killmail, you can still be targeted by so-called "gankers".

The so-called "margin scam" is a thing of the past. If you see an item on the market, it will be bought and sold for that price. There's the (only) possibility to cheat somebody on the market, by simply offering an item way over what it's generally worth. To avoid this, use an external tool such as evemarketer, evepraisal or janice-e to see what the item is worth, then buy it.

2. Home base location

It's best to have the home station at the campus you spend the most time at. You're doing a lot in HSC? Set it to Amygnon. You're an AMC regular? Set it to Averon...and so forth.

3. Hauling

EVE University has a hauling service, but it only covers Jita as the main market hub and campus locations. The best option in terms of saved time for you wouid be to keep one ship you want to take with you, fill the hold with modules, ammo and so forth and sell the rest. Each campus has free ships for you to use while you get yourself set up, so don't spend an hour just to bring along three Frigates, a Destroyer and an Industrial.

4. Alts

An alt is another character on your account or even on another account. Alts are helpful because an alt trains independently from your main - for example you can have an alt focus on Industry while your main focuses on combat. In addition, if E-UNI is at war, alts can help you move your things from A to B without endangering yourself. There are some finer points on alts, but as you're just starting out, those two should be sufficient.

5. Autopilot

No, it's not the same. The autopilot is the little "A" button in the lower left of your main display when undocked. If you press this, it automatically warps you along your set route, but you exit warp 10 km before your destination and "slowboat" there. This makes you vulnerable and other people will know you're autopiloting, that's why it is not recommended...but if you don't have a valuable ship and/or pod, feel free if it saves you time.

6. Fitting and implants

The ship fitting window can be a bit of a hassle. There's a regular class on how to use it, so keep an eye on the in-game calendar. If you want to have a more detailed simulation, look into a tool called Pyfa, which is a) easier to use than the in-game tool (at least for me) and b) allows you to try out the fits with implants and even project negative/positive effects onto them. It's a very powerful tool.

If you've got more questions or anything remains unclear, don't hesitate to ask. We are a learning corporation, after all! :D
Image Image
Uryence
Teaching Manager
Teaching Manager

Post by Uryence »

Helleana Stord Kaundur wrote: 2022.01.26 11:24Q: Where should I relocate my home base after joining EVE Uni currently in the starting location for the beginning missions?
Q: With relation to this is this safe to package ships and gear and transport to a new home base or I think you guys offer a ferry solution how and where do I find this information?
Where you want to base yourself really depends on what you want to do. There's no rule saying that you have to be in a particular place. That said, it's often convenient to set up home in one or more of the Uni's campuses. You can think about which of these best suits your current interests. If you're currently operating in high security space, the Uni's High Sec Campus might be a decent default, and has a good mission-running community plus people doing other things. You'd be welcome to pitch up at any of the others, though (with the exception that the wormhole campus has a few joining requirements, because of the challenging nature of wormhole space). I divide my time between the null sec campus and the wormhole campus, myself: you don't have to be living at just one.

Since your earning potential ramps up really quickly early on in the game, it might not actually be worth getting your stuff hauled from wherever you started to wherever you want to be based: if in a week or two's time you will be able to buy a destroyer without really noticing the cost, the time spent moving one destroyer a few weeks before will feel a bit silly at that point. Highsec Buyback (not part of the Uni, but not a scam) can and will buy stuff anywhere in highsec, and you could use them to turn your assets into ISK rather than moving them.

The Uni offers a free hauling service for members between the different campuses and the main trade hub, Jita, which is extremely convenient--one of the big pluses of being based at a campus is that you can get stuff purchased in the game's biggest market hauled out to you within a timeframe of a day or two at no cost. (I don't have time right now to get into the Q about alts, but one big use for one alt is to have a character who sits in Jita and does your shopping for you.) But the Uni doesn't, as an organisation, haul point-to-point beyond its set routes between campuses, so it can't pick your stuff up from starting systems.

I hope these are helpful answers, and sorry that time prevents me getting on to the next Qs--I hope someone else will be able to tackle those. Welcome to Eve, and don't worry at all about asking questions: it is exactly the right thing to be doing, and E-Uni exists to help.
Helleana Stord Kaundur

Post by Helleana Stord Kaundur »

Thank you Guys that was most useful from all off you I have a bit more to go on now and I will move forward a bit more I will also take a look at pyfa also so thank you for that.
I think I understand now why you have an alt on a basic level.
I am sure this will not be my last question and will look out for more lessons in the calendar and will take a look at Highsec Buyback system.
HSK
Uryence
Teaching Manager
Teaching Manager

Post by Uryence »

Helleana Stord Kaundur wrote: 2022.01.26 16:09 Thank you Guys that was most useful from all off you I have a bit more to go on now and I will move forward a bit more I will also take a look at pyfa also so thank you for that.
I think I understand now why you have an alt on a basic level.
I am sure this will not be my last question and will look out for more lessons in the calendar and will take a look at Highsec Buyback system.
HSK
Great. If you have stuff at the actual Uni high sec campus itself, there's an internal Uni buyback scheme which is more generous. But of course that's no use for stuff that's scattered around elsewhere.