How to Support Campuses?

For general discussion about EVE Online.
Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
CapnJakku

How to Support Campuses?

Post by CapnJakku »

So it's been about a week in Eve Uni and I already know that joining was one of the best decisions I could have made - the community has taught me so much.

Once I get my skills up I plan on spending time at each campus so I can learn all about different activities and play styles. There are so many knowledgeable members that it would be a shame to not take advantage of this resource.

So with that being said, what are the ways that new players can help the campus they are at and give back directly/indirectly?

Is it simply being active in forums, participating in events/attending classes, utilizing the Buyback Program, or other?

I can only imagine the work that is being done behind the scenes on our behalf.

( Like what is the monthly fuel cost alone to run HSC????? :twisted: )
Arkady Marten
Production Manager
Production Manager

Re: How to Support Campuses?

Post by Arkady Marten »

I like your question - goes at the heart of what the Uni is all about!

I am part of the Production Department, but don't have any other official roles in the Uni. My response here is simply my personal view and in no way an 'official' response to your post.

There are several aspects to 'giving back'. As far as I know, the Uni is doing o.k. financially (in-game and out), including the cost of fueling the structures. Utilising the buyback/lootsheet programme is of course one of the ways in which we contribute isk to the corp, and we get a convenient service out of it in return. Other options are to donate isk and/or in-game items, but that's certainly not expected, just a nice extra for those so inclined.

Then there's the community aspect: the forum, Discord, Mumble, classes, the Wiki, in-game chat, ... Best way to give back is simply be active in as many of these as you can. Specific ways to give back in-game are taking care of skillbook reimbursement requests in the Corp channel and responding to people's questions in the Questions channel.

Other than that, I especially like the idea of just be online in one of the campuses, in the standing fleet and logged into Mumble, and just seeing who else is online and go do something together spur-of-the-moment. When I started out in the Uni, LSC had a number of people who would just hang out on comms, and every once in a while one of us would find a nice juicy target to go hunt after in low-sec. These QRF outings were always a lot of fun. I for one hope to be able to contribute to something like this becoming more active again at LSC.

Thirdly, all of the work going on behind the scenes is done by members volunteering their time and energy. The Wiki has information on all the different people taking care of their respective tasks like the interviewers, the mentors, the campus managers, the buyback people, etc. And there's a Forum post that lists the departments with information on whether there are any requirements to joining and whether they are currently looking for more people. Maybe you'll find something where you think, hey, I can do that - and voilà.
Image Image
CapnJakku

Post by CapnJakku »

Thanks for the detailed and thought-out response Arkady.

With regards to costs associated with running and fueling structures, are there specific activities that provide more value to their operation? For example, if I were to produce fuel blocks or related materials via PI and then utilize the Buyback Program, would this be more beneficial? My guess is the amount a single player could produce is such a tiny fraction of the overall cost that it probably doesn't matter.

I think you've hit the nail on the head when you mentioned being active across community platforms. It's hard to put a tangible value on this... But peaking for myself it's ultra frustrating sometimes when you can't get quick answers. However, these communication tools (forum, Discord, Mumble, classes, the Wiki, in-game chat) are full of such friendly and helpful people it's motivated me to play more and I'm sure it does the same for countless others.

I've got my Mumble set up so thanks for mentioning standing fleet, I honestly keep forgetting. I've been stuck reading guides so much that I haven't visited campuses outside of HSC. It's easy to get choice paralysis 😅

Lastly... About the wiki. It's an amazing tool for every player in New Eden. It's incredibly thorough and the countless hours of quality content put into it are staggering. There are some incomplete articles here and there - how would I go about flagging them and/or offering to contribute in the future once I have the knowledge and experience to do so?
Arkady Marten
Production Manager
Production Manager

Post by Arkady Marten »

You're very welcome! I honestly don't know what is better for the Uni with regards to PI - people producing the products that go into the fuel (which tend not to be the most profitable ones) or making more profitable PI chains that then get the Uni more liquid isk to buy in any missing products from the market. Let me forward this question to people who might know.

For the Wiki, I can recommend Arin Mara, one of the curators, to answer you. He will likely give you ten times more information than you need about how the Wiki works and how any of us can contribute. :) I do know that there are ways to help out even if you are not an expert on the specific subject, e.g. formatting, minor edits, conversion to new page guidelines - all things that are as important as the actual content. You can find him and others in the Wiki channel on Discord - they are very active in there.
Image Image
Tremitry Darkstar

Post by Tremitry Darkstar »

Unless you have a specific thing you're trying to make that would be more beneficial to you in some way, I would personally priotize whatever PI gets you the most ISK. Helping yourself out is also helping the Uni, especially since it sounds like you might be willing to join up fleets/roams/whatever content happens to be found that day. Self-sufficiency is pretty important in this game.

Your choice of PI also largely depends on where you live, both in terms of type of space (high, low, null/wormhole) and the planets you have available to you. Those two things will impact if/when to focus mostly on extraction or focus mostly on factory set-ups that convert lower tier products to higher tier products.
-Tremitry Darkstar
CapnJakku

Post by CapnJakku »

Arkady Marten wrote: 2021.10.01 10:47 For the Wiki, I can recommend Arin Mara, one of the curators, to answer you... You can find him and others in the Wiki channel on Discord - they are very active in there.
Ah that's the spot. Missed it. I subscribed to too many channels :lol:
Tremitry Darkstar wrote: 2021.10.01 18:02 Your choice of PI also largely depends on where you live, both in terms of type of space (high, low, null/wormhole) and the planets you have available to you. Those two things will impact if/when to focus mostly on extraction or focus mostly on factory set-ups that convert lower tier products to higher tier products.
Makes total sense. I've read the excellent wiki on it. Will take me awhile, however, to figure out how to choose an appropriate setup based on the chosen planets. I'll do more research on when to choose extraction vs production as you've mentioned. Thank you.
Arkady Marten
Production Manager
Production Manager

Post by Arkady Marten »

I had a response from one of the managers regarding PI production. The Uni generally has enough people producing the materials for fuel and only rarely has to buy items off the market. So, go ahead and make your own PI setup as you see fit!
Image Image
Arin Mara
Wiki Manager
Wiki Manager

Post by Arin Mara »

WHO DARES SUMMON ME?! :P haahahahahhaha
Thank you Arkady for such a handsome introduction. :)

It's awesome to hear you wanting to help out. However, before I answer you I'd like to hear what are you current goals? ;)

I started by creating a Navigation Template for all Epic Arcs and by organizing an Event around Kelon Darklight's COSMOS Mission contributions to the Wiki. After Wiki Manager Rayanth elevated me to the position of the 14th Wiki Curator my goal has been the same ever since: make the Wiki the most beautiful and truthful publicly available knowledge repository in all of New Eden. :)

Perhaps the Wiki calls to you too. Perhaps not. Perhaps fighting our neighbors in Ouelletta and keep the path clear of pirates towards Low and Null Security Campuses is what appeals to you. Perhaps something else. ;)
CapnJakku

Post by CapnJakku »

Alright sounds good Arkady!

Hey Arin - thanks for popping in, I'm glad you did just for the useful links in your signature alone ☺️

Hmmm goals who knows, haha. I'm just enjoying the learning process of all aspects in the game. Hard to know exactly what I'd like to do until I've had a chance to sample the buffet!

Metaphors aside, I plan on trying everything and visiting each campus too. I'm happy to take my time.