Looking for Feedback: Damage Application YouTube guide

For general discussion about EVE Online.
Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
Shizuka Shinano
Title: Ensign, Freshman

Looking for Feedback: Damage Application YouTube guide

Post by Shizuka Shinano »

I recently got the idea to make YouTube videos on EVE in my head again, but this time something actually ended up getting made. I enjoyed the process and did end up learning more than I would otherwise. Anyway, would you guys mind taking a look and giving me feedback on it? I know it's pretty rough, the music is kinda weird, and the view isn't optimal, but it's a start and I'd like to improve as time goes on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVwkmvLau70
Arin Mara

Re: Looking for Feedback: Damage Application YouTube guide

Post by Arin Mara »

I love the music! It reminds me of being in a submarine going through space... like Battlestar Galactica :D
  • You explain concepts by asking a question first, I like that.
  • I ike the side-by-side comparisons: I can clearly see that you are empirically correct.
  • The UI elements are big, so even someone like myself with a poor eyesight can see exactly what you are talking about, perfect.
  • At 1:45 you introduce the term "resist hole" (the opposite I call "resist fortress" :P), but did not explain the phrase.
  • At 2:00 you show an image of Faction resistances. I'd like to see you link to it in the description below :)
  • At 2:36 the music changes abruptly to a sound of, what can only be described as, whiteboard nail scratching. :( It was such an assault on my ears I had to turn the music off.
  • At 2:47 you mention Launchers but not Missiles. I'd like a Teacher to weight in on which noun is more evocative.
  • I loved the Missile demonstration!
  • At 5:24 you are a genius to put a small ship in the foreground and a HUGE ship in the background, an Orca to demo ranges. Lovely! :)
  • At 7:32 I've lost track of what "Chance to Hit" is. Perhaps just show it again so the forgetful don't have to scroll back through the video :P
  • At 8:30 I learn when a dreaded wrecking shot happens :D Those are terrifying when they happen in Anomic Burner Missions. Blah!
  • At 9:00 you mention ETF and pyfa but don't link to them :)
  • At 9:25 you note that you should match weapon size to ship size. I understand that, but here's a follow up question: if I want to defeat a Serpentis Frigate, a Destroyer, a Cruiser, a Battlecruiser and a Battleship should I use Light, Heavy or some other Missile type? Should i mix Missile type on the same ship? What about drones? In that case should I use Light, Medium or Heavy to maximize DPS?
  • At 10:15 I'd like to see the empty space filled out with a lovely overview of the truthful statements you presented earlier in the video such as "Change to Hit=(...)" and "Max iff Missile Speed > Target Speed".
Shizuka Shinano
Title: Ensign, Freshman

Re: Looking for Feedback: Damage Application YouTube guide

Post by Shizuka Shinano »

Arin Mara wrote: 2021.06.05 06:01 *Snip*
Wow, I really appreciate that you took the time to give me so much feedback!

I'll definitely update the video description to include all the relevant links once I'm back home after work. I'll also have to look into the music issue. I didn't notice it during editing, but that might have been because I wasnt in a fresh state of mind.

As for the rest of the points, I'll work on properly introducing new terms and I'll keep in mind the fact that viewers may not remember all the terms I've introduced throughout the video. I've played long enough that all these terms are very familiar and I overlooked the fact that my target audience may not know what I'm talking about.