taylor moon's adventures in trying to get stuff into thera

Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
<<

Taylor Moon Mahyisti

Portrait

Post 2020.02.08 20:57

taylor moon's adventures in trying to get stuff into thera

so i was with an e-uni fleet last night. well, not "with" them as such, but i followed them around and shot at them and stuff. it was a nice time, video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljwWaRwU198

they used thera connections to get into nullsec, and were mostly looking for krabs to murder. and it occured to me that this is actually quite a good idea; with eve-scout public bookmarks you dont actually need to do any scanning, which is nice because i suck at scanning. my alt lived in a wormhole for like three months and i still never got decent at it

i fired up pyfa and started making a fit for nullsec hunting. i settled on a polarised HAM loki with triple hyperspatials, which puts out over 1000 dps heated, is cloaky and nullified, and warps over twice as fast as a frigate. i would be able to cover a lot of ground very quickly looking for targets in almost complete safety, and when i did strike i would be able to melt them very quickly whilst having acceptable tank myself with an XLASB.

with my mind set on this strategy, i then had to get all this stuff into thera along with spare ammo, cap boosters, paste, drugs, probes etc. now i live in lowsec, and like most people who do, the cops don't like me very much for some reason. i used to buy tags to help it, but recently i said screw it and just let it drop. dealing with the faction police is annoying enough, but when it gets below -5 other players can shoot you as well, which is a bit of a problem. you cant even do an mwd-cloak trick, since when the cops are after you you cant cloak.

so i finally caved about a week ago and got myself a proper hauler alt. my general purpose alt already could use t1 industrials, and i had some spare skill points on it from various events and such, so i went ahead and applied them to train into an occator. i went ahead and fitted one for warp speed and align time, using it in combination with a mid-grade nomad set to let me use the mwd-cloak trick. i've been very happy with how it's turned out, i can transport 60k+ cubic metres of stuff in almost complete safety and with very good warp speed - enough to fit a packaged battleship with room to spare for other stuff or several smaller ships.

anyway, so normally i would never use that strategy for hauling into null/whs; partly because im likely to be bubbled and murdered, and partly because mid-grade nomads are surprisingly expensive and if i was bubbled id lose those too. normally for getting stuff into thera people would probably use a blockade runner, which is not nullified but has a covops cloak so would be pretty safe for that. but not me though, i would never make things to easy for myself! although they share the same skills with a DST so i could use one, i didnt have a BR and i sure as hell wasnt buying one just for this, and in any case it would be a lot of trips since they're much smaller. ain't nobody got time for that

the other sensible option would be to do a courier contract and get someone else to do it for me who could be bothered and had the right ship for it. but hey, i dont want someone else touching my stuff. and hey, it's only one jump right? i'll be fiiiiiine!

so i went ahead and undocked the hauler alt from my home station in nen. the route to jita goes through tama unless you take a slightly longer way around, and sure enough, huge wangs gatecamp. surprisingly it was on the kedama side of tama rather than the usual nourv gate, and they had a bunch of stuff there including a revelation. i mean honestly, they must have blued half the game to be able to get away with having a casual rev camping a gate like that. anyway, they all drop their drones and get ready to try and decloak me, they obviously had cloaky eyes on the other side. i pull off the mwd cloak trick no problem and wave goodbye as i cruise onward to the (relative) safety of highsec.

in jita i go ahead and buy the ship and fit that i want, as well as a ton of supplies - ammo, drones, drugs etc, and a couple of station containers to organise them with. i also get a travelceptor for my main to use to get there and back, and i take a 50mn bookmarking punisher that i happened to have at jita so that i can burn a nice off-grid insta-undock for thera station. it really is amazing being able to fit all that stuff in (the punisher wasnt packaged either, it was assembled so much bigger), i've been used to using t1 industrials for a long time.

i go ahead and burn towards the nearest thera wormhole, with my main already in thera that can scout for me. as i get near there i realise the hole is in a trig invasion system, and i get a bit worried because i wasnt sure if you could cloak there or if they jam it like the faction police, but luckily they dont so no problem. i warp my main to the other side of the hole, and it's clear for a while and then a random ares decides to sit on it so i dock up both accounts and wait a few minutes. when i got my main back there it's clear, so i warp the hauler to the hole and give it one final check before commiting to the jump.

of course, i'm not the careful sort who would have got a safe spot bookmarked on the hauler alt ahead of time, so i warp it to a random celestial, then to another one and make a safe along the way. then i turn back, warp to the safe and cloak up. little bit sloppy, but no problems and hauler is safe. so i just have to get it to the station.

i picked the less busy of the two central-ish stations in thera, and had an instadock there on my main but not the hauler alt, so i warp my main there and get them both in a fleet so that i can warp the hauler to my main on the instadock. my main gets there and it's all clear, so i go ahead and warp the hauler there. i tab back into my main for one final check before warp stuff, and... oh... apparently it's dead and also there's a bubble there. i tab back and ctrl-space a second too late, and to my dismay it goes into warp, possibly to its doom.

the bubble wasnt there when i clicked warp, but it was there by the time i actually entered warp... so will i be affected by the bubble? i had no idea, i didnt go to null or whs much. sadly the bubble did affect me and i end up landing 5k off the station. thera is a huge system, and during my 100+ AU warp i had a lot of time to think about this, so i know i have two options: mwd-cloak trick and warp back to my safe spot. unfortunately they know exactly where i landed and there is a high chance they could decloak me; also, they could launch another bubble which would mean i couldnt warp, would be stuck in the cloak, and either slowboat away hoping they dont manage to decloak me or risk starting a warp from almost no velocity. so in the end i decide to take option 2, which was try and reach the station to dock.

i hit mwd and cloak, and double click towards the station (i dont trust approach in a crucial scenario like this). i make some reasonable progress at first thanks to the mwd, but it turns off and i cant cycle it again without decloaking, so i'm stuck going very slowly towards the station and still a few k off. at this point i'm really glad i went for the dread guristas cloak for only -73% velocity instead of -75%.

eventually i get within docking range and i spam the dock button for dear life. why aren't you docking you stupid thing! it felt like ages before i actually got into the station, but get into the station i did. my main was podded out back to k-space but i dont care, i got the stuff in! and all i almost lost was ~1bil worth of stuff, 500mil dst and 4bil pod.
<<

Nienke Solette

Portrait

Post 2020.02.09 10:19

Re: taylor moon's adventures in trying to get stuff into thera

Nice write-up! This sounds terrifying and fun at the same time, this goes onto my bucket list of things I want to do before I win EVE. ^^
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
___________________________________________________________________________________
Senior Personnel Officer | Former Events Manager | CCI Medalist | LSC Officer | Senior FC
<<

Taylor Moon Mahyisti

Portrait

Post 2020.02.09 14:09

yeah it was definitely an experience. i still have to get the DST out of thera at some point, hopefully that goes smoother.

those stations are almost perma-camped by volta, and apparently they dont like people burning insta-undocks there. they tried chasing after my 8.7k/s bookmarking punisher for ages lol, kept probing down but by the time they warped to me they were way behind. that kept going on for about half an hour before they had the bright idea to get their own snaked 50mn punisher to chase after me (i didnt have my sneks in). at that point i decided that a 25 000 km insta-undock was good enough and simply warped off :D
<<

Gergoran Moussou

Portrait

Post 2020.02.13 03:25

I have some stuff in Thera and a jump clone because I've gone on a couple of bomber fleets out of there. I just don't think I'd be able to live out of it unless I was in or allied with Volta because they really do own the system despite not being able to put down any citadels.

I would have gone with my blockade runner rather than my DST. DST is probably enough though.
<<

Celine en Chasteaux

Portrait

Orientation Manager
Orientation Manager

Post 2020.02.13 07:49

Thanks a lot for the write up, this was a very enjoyable read!
Orientation Manager
Solitude Campus Officer
<<

Taylor Moon Mahyisti

Portrait

Post 2020.02.13 15:07

Gergoran Moussou wrote: I just don't think I'd be able to live out of it unless I was in or allied with Volta because they really do own the system despite not being able to put down any citadels.

yeah, for sure. but if you have your instadocks/undocks and either scout it or fly nullified there's nothing they can do

Celine en Chasteaux wrote:Thanks a lot for the write up, this was a very enjoyable read!

thank you :)
<<

Leonidas Tokugawa

Portrait

Post 2020.02.13 20:00

I have been out of EVE for a while (still not able to game as of yet. Was literally in an induced coma). At present I am allowed on computer to browse forums. I found your write up very enjoyable and just what I needed.

Good job on your haul and the great commentary.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
<<

Zoltan Irvam

Portrait

Post 2020.03.23 14:11

Hi,

thanks for a nice writeup - fun to read. One question though - why not use a shared bookmark folder for your instadock BMs - no need to undock the main then and thus probably no bubble...

Zoltan
<<

Taylor Moon Mahyisti

Portrait

Post 2020.03.23 19:11

yep, that would have been way better. the asnwer is that i was too lazy

Return to EVE Discussion