The First 30 Days

Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
<<

London 1941

Portrait

Post 2019.11.16 03:19

The First 30 Days

“I Should Be Mining”

As I close in on my first thirty days in Eve and very nearly the same for Eve Uni, I wanted to contribute a short “lessons learned” briefing as a way of giving “back” for all the help I’ve received. I’ve received quite a lot …

There are a few of these sorts of essays around New Eden yet many are quite prescriptive. My goal was rather to apply something quite reflective. The noobs like myself reading this have already figured out to train Mining to V or something similar. What we might not have conquered is how to find our way among the options of this universe.

First, I’m happy to be here! E-Uni is great.

I’m on my own out here in Heimatar. If you’re in the area, I’d love to hear from you. Rens is the local trading hub if that helps place the region. Please drop me a wire and let me know what you’re up to. I’m biding time, building bank, and planning a clone move to AMC. I’ve still had a little time to consider sharing.

Learn.

There is so much to learn when we know so little.
The in-game skills system defines opportunity. The consequences of the training is easily deciphered. Our own wiki provides most of the clues in plaintext.
The meta-game skills are less easily deciphered. This meta-game information is the knowledge about how players use skills, ships, locations. How fleets are formed. What planets have the best crepes. How boosts are applied. What rats are in what system and how often exceptional rats are spawned. In short, the meta-game skills are those which define knowledge about the playing of the game rater than the application of base abilities.

The meta-game skills come slowly from experience and much quicker from communication. Comms, Mumble, our Slack channel, and direct message are all good starts. Reading the Wiki. Listening. Asking. These too are excellent.

Complete answers to our basic questions usually reveal more overall than you might have thought to ask. E-Uni folks have good answers!

Communication is a meta-skill accelerator. Don’t dwell on your own off in a corner because you are embarrassed about what you do not know. Say hello. Ask.

Play.

Initially, Eve is a deserted amusement park to which you’ve been given the keys. What to do first? What to ride? What to eat? [ The cotton candy, obviously]
We need a plan. Once we decide on a plan, we’re halfway to everywhere. [ Apologies to Robert Heinlein.] Hero? Rogue? Adventurer? Explorer? Admiral of the Fleet? Pick.
No option is limiting. One choice merely delays – not prevents – another.

I’ve been in the game less than a month and have trained 3.5 M skill points. I bought an accelerator pack (1 M skill points for something like $6 US all-in) and felt I’d gotten a real leg-up. Also, CCP ran a skilling spree during the Halloween week and merely logging-in in provided a bonus of between 50,000 and 150,000 SKP each day.

How much more could I need after those were spent? Surely I’d have all the basics I’d need.
For flying a venture and collecting Veldspar? Sure. For embarking on a stealth mission to tour LowSec space? Not so much.

I’m horribly behind.

What I have learned is that a plan, its execution, and the reward are more entertaining – fun – than the mechanics of Eve initially made me think possible. We’re in the sandbox. Play should be fun. It is just a matter of finding our own style of that play to provide lasting engagement.
Think fun-per-isk instead of isk-per-hour.

No one can do that for you. You set your own exchange rate.

Make friends.

You might already do this easily. When one grows older, it becomes more difficult to casually start up a friendship. We’re more jaded or ‘experienced’ as we call it.
Having EVE as a common interest and spaceflight with its complications as a common framework provides an open and non-threatening basis to make new friends. The New Eden universe seems vast and the chances of just running onto to the same folks again and again? Maybe not so good.

It takes a hello, a wave, a bit of conversation starter to make it work.

Don’t take your fellow capsuleers for granted, I beg you. Say hello on Mumble. When you see an E-UNI member on local, wave. Send a note.

The technology of the game itself is formidable. Don’t let it become an obstacle to forming new friendships.

I played PBM and PBEM games in the long distant past ( Beyond the Stellar Empire and its UK licensed e-clone Phoenix) and remember joy in waiting a phone call or a letter – yep, we sent letters back in the day. I still have good friends from those times because we found common ground in a game and in conversations about the game-beyond-the-game.

I look forward to making more new friends here in New Eden.

Ask me on local when I fly through about my new project: London’s Field Guide to Heimatar. It’s a cross between the Hitchhiker’s Guide, Robert Young Pelton’s Guide to the World’s Most Dangerous Places, and Fodor’s but with better restaurant reviews. Maybe I can talk E-Uni Press into being the publisher.

I’m flying around building up resources for the 33 jump trip to AMC. If you see me in the hinterland, please let me know what you’re doing for fun. There is a fair chance I haven’t thought of trying that yet.

Complete noob and all …. But as I said: I’m just happy to be here.
<<

Mike Kingswell

Portrait

Assistant Teaching Manager

Post 2019.11.16 14:36

Re: The First 30 Days

Hey there,

good read! Love your instrinsicly optimistic approach and one can not stress it often enough:

SPOILER WARNING!
Think fun-per-isk instead of isk-per-hour.
No one can do that for you. You set your own exchange rate.

AMC will be glad and lucky to have you o7
Image Image
<<

Petie Andedare

Portrait

Post 2019.11.19 21:03

Very nice post! Thank you sharing your experiences, thoughts and approaches.

Fly safe! o7
<<

Rayni Ptarth

Portrait

Post 2019.11.28 18:19

Nice to see some of more of us newer folks represented.

I'm not in AMC or Heimatar space much, but if you ever want to come play in J-space feel free to hit me (or really any of the WHC folks) up.

Per your note about moving to AMC. I would strongly advise you to just bite the bullet now and take the trip (or to HSC or LSC). In a shuttle or fast-align frigate you can make the trip in a half hour or less (and cutting through low-sec is relatively safer that way too). I dawdled moving myself, I kept putting it off, wanting to build up just a bit more isk or try to figure out how to move a few more things. In the end, the 'very precious' stuff I wanted to take with me was virtually worthless, and I grew out of it in the next month. Even after all of that, I still ended up leaving most of it in my starting system (go Clouster!). I figure that if I'm ever back in that period of space for a time, I'll ready have ships (with terrible fits). (And if you do the Sisters of Eve Arc, you'll end up revisiting that region of space anyway).

Not convinced yet? Well, I'm going to pull out the big guns... Fleet Shared Can mining Ops. It's really awesome. I don't want to spoil anything about it, because the first time is really amazing, but trust me, it is super cool and impressive.

Return to EVE Discussion