Returning to EVE and Blackout

Forum rules
Discussions about EVE University should go in the E-Uni General Discussion subforum. If you have questions about joining EVE University, please contact our Personnel Department.
<<

Comlink

Portrait

Post 2019.08.13 17:35

Returning to EVE and Blackout

Hello everyone!

I am returning to EVE (and EVE UNI) after about a year break from the game. When I returned I jumped back into running abyssal deadspace sites and lost my 300~ mil ISK Gila (first time running a T3, definitely was not ready). I decided I would go back to my roots and use exploration to re-gain the lost ISK so I can get back into running abyssal sites.

I started off in W-space as usual but then decided I would venture into Null upon discovering a WH to Nullsec. At this point I was not aware that there was a local comms blackout and I proceeded to explore relic sites rather care free. Seeing no one there made me think I was so lucky to not come across anyone. At the time not seeing myself in local did not click as it normally would in W-space local.

After maybe 10-15 jumps and 250 million or so in loot I called it a night. Logged off in Null to come back later since the WH I took was gone. At that point I was wondering why even explore in W-space since Null is way safer and more profitable. Then I started reading online and discovered that the blackout occurred. I suppose I got really lucky or Null is just very empty right now.

I guess the main lesson from all this is that it is probably a good idea to check recent game updates after taking such a long break from the game. Still not sure how I feel about the blackout but initial thoughts are that its very good news for solo explorers running Relic sites.

What does everyone else think?
<<

Catbriar Saissore

Portrait

Post 2019.08.14 14:45

Re: Returning to EVE and Blackout

I too have been thinking that Null is a lot like WH space. In the short time that null has been dark, I have come to feel safer in WH space. Although, I do tend to avoid exploring in WH systems with high or low sec static connections. Gates in Null are static, fixed and known positions. Wormholes are not. I have seen far more camps at gates than I have ever seen at wormholes. A hunter can fly any ship they want into null, wormholes require bringing in some scanning ability. What I do now is fly wormhole space. If I get a null sec connection, I will run sites in the null sec system but always exit down a wormhole.

Return to EVE Discussion